• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Could not complete the Save for Web (Legacy) command because the document"

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Photoshop CC to version 21.0.0 on a Mac OS v10.14.6. I am constantly getting a dialog box with the message:

"Could not complete the Save for Web (Legacy) command because the document is currently being saved in the background. Please try the operation again after the save has been completed."

Of course, I understand why this message is showing. What I don't understand is why the app update would cause it to save files slower than before the update. Updates are supposed to improve the experience, right? Well, this is the opposite. Adobe - please fix the issue (and all issues) - preferably before releasing it as a consumer upgrade.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019
This issue where you get an error "Could not complete the Save for Web (Legacy) command because the document is currently being saved in the background. Please try the operation again after the save has been completed." when trying to select File > Export > Save for Web... while a background save is in progress has been fixed in version 21.0.2. There is one case, where saving large/animated GIF in the background will prevent Photoshop from using Save for Web until the save is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,
Are you possibly saving to an external drive?

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the exact same problem. I am so used to constantly Ctrl+S and then immediately being able to safe for web or just continue working, but since this update I constantly have to wait for it to save. It's VERY annoying and slowing down my work progress immensely. I do save to an external drive, though why would it matter where you save it to, when the previous version was totally doing it's job with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Engineering is looking into this. Please hit the Me Too button in the upper left. The issue isn't that the files are saving slower. There was a change to not allow exporting using Save for Web if a background save was in progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so annoying. Please advise if anyone finds a work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet if there was an issue paying for Photoshop (Creative Cloud), Adobe would patch this in hours... disgusting how people pay for software only to find developers break things when they say they are 'improving' apps. Then they do nothing for weeks/months to fix the issue they created!!
No wonder people are switching to other stable apps!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Andrew. No, I am not saving to an external drive. I am saving locally on a fairly new MacBook with an SSD. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can keep the prior version installed until the fix is available if this issue is affecting your workflow. https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue where you get an error "Could not complete the Save for Web (Legacy) command because the document is currently being saved in the background. Please try the operation again after the save has been completed." when trying to select File > Export > Save for Web... while a background save is in progress has been fixed in version 21.0.2. There is one case, where saving large/animated GIF in the background will prevent Photoshop from using Save for Web until the save is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop CS6 and I get the same message although I only Save as (not for web). I tried to save yesterday and I still get the same message today....

"Could not complete the Save As command because the document is currently being saved in the background. Please try the operation again after the save has been completed."

Please help! I cannot save anything any more!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could not complete the save as commad because the document is currently being saved in the background.please try the operation again after the save been completed. Please help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi *Navod kalhara ,

Sorry for the late response.  Did the save operation ever complete or is it still hung?  You might have to ultimately force quit/end task, but don't do that yet.  I wouldn't want you to lose your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue as well and it never ends up saving, just is hung up on 0% until eventually have to force quite out of photoshop. It makes me lose my work EVERY TIME, it's really quite awful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found a sort of work around although it really sucks. It seems to be file specific so I opened a new file with same dimensions/dpi. Export -> layers to files -> (I selected psd). Go to newly created folder and drag them back into the new open file. The elephant in this layered room is all text layers are converted to psd but this worked to at least give me a template where text retains its orientation on the page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate