• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Save As" no longer appear with second monitors or Sidecar running after update to macOS Monterey

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save As" no longer works after update to Mac Monterey OS

When I try to "Save As" I get no result. Normally a dialog box will pop up with format / file location options but it's no longer happening. I am trying to save a .psd file as a .psd file. 

I have tried going to File / Save As and also the cmd/shift/S keyboard shortcut

I am also seeing this behavior in InDesign, but the Save As command works in Illustrator.

Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1

Mac Mini 2018

Thanks!

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

I chatted with support and worked through this issue for Photoshop by resetting my preferences.

Also, I use multiple screens and CS said to unplug my external monitors. With my monitors unplugged I went through the steps via link below:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

For Acrobat, I left the moniters unplugged and went through the steps of unchecking a couple of boxes in the preferences that were specified in another thread.  I think everything is fixed now. I wanted to pos

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

We're working on this issue with Apple. If you're still in this state, you can capture a Sysdiagnose log with the following instructions to share: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/59917/how-do-you-get-system-diagnostic-files-from-macos  You can DM a link to your Sysdiagnose log.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Fixed.  I'm running a 2nd NEC monitor that I use as my main screen. Changed the prefs to have the iMac as the main screen, then changed back, and now all dialog boxes are showing as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

We'll investigate this with Apple. Thanks for reporting!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 223 Replies 223
223 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm gonna guess that this is a bug that Apple has to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe isn't the only work app with lots of Monterey bugs, I think I'll chalk this up to a lesson learned and be downgrading to Big Sur until 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 23.0.2  – MacOS 12.0.1 Monterey – MacBook Pro M1 max

After an indeterminate amount of time, Photoshop will stop showing the Save dialogs on the screen. I can interact with them using keyboard strokes from memory. But I can't make the dialogs come back to being on top or on the same screen. It also effects other windows opened by Photoshop, such as smart objects being opened but not showing on screen. Quiting and restarting will fix it for a while. I have had some success bringing it back to normal behaviour by turn to Application Window and then back to my preferred work space (switching between Preview mode and Floating windows).

My set up is this: MacBook Pro M1 max. No external monitors. I do use 'Spaces' for virtual destops a lot. There is a bug reported as below, that sounds similar to my experience, but I don't have any external monitors attached. USB devices attached are just Samsung T5 SSDs and a Logitech mouse dongle via a USB-C adaptor. A Wacom tablet - using wireless connection.

• Sometimes the Save, Save as, and Export dialogs may not appear when an external monitor (via USB-C thunderbolt cable) or iPad (via Sidecar) is connected.
    To display the dialogs, temporarily disconnect the external monitor or Sidecar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried switching between Workspaces and/or resetting the active Workspace? I couldn't quite tell from the wording in your question.

Have you tried resetting the Photoshop Preferences? They can be found in the Photoshop menu on a Mac and the Edit menu on Windows. Within the General tab is the button Reset Preferences On Quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael, yeah I've even tried closing down all the workspaces completely. And I don't think it's related to virtual workspaces really. Sometimes applications do lose track of what workspace they're assigned to but you can find missing dialog boxes or windows eventually. In this case the missing dialog box or window is nowhere to be found. As if it's on a monitor I can't see. 

I'll try to reset Preferences so at least I can rule that out. It's a brand new computer and install of Photoshop. I didn't think there'd been time to corrupt prefs yet. I thought it might be an OS issue, but it's only happenening in Photoshop so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers mate. Photoshop itself has Workspaces. Look under the Window menu. By default you are likely using the Essentials Workspace. Look for the "Reset Essentials" option. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd begin with resetting all the preferences. And if that does not help, then possibly install and reinstall the application and ensure that the previous preferences are not carried over. 

warmly/j

2021-11-27_07-32-18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easist solution to this I've found is to simply set your Macbook as the Main Display. Restart your apps and hyou should be good to go.

I was fighting with this issue for a week or so and this flat out solved all my problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo zusammen, hier in der Agentur wurden neue MacBook Pro 16" M1Pro angeschafft. Diese nutzen die Grafiker hier. Heute nun ist bei einer Grafikerin folgendes Problem aufgetreten. Sie konnte aus Photoshop 2022 (23.0.2) keine Daten mehr suchen. Heißt wenn man versucht hat den Dialog "Speichern unter ..." aufzurufen passierte einfach gar nichts. Was ich dann feststellen konnte war, das wenn ich den externen Monitor der via HDMI direkt am Rechner angeschlossen war albgestöpselt habe, funktionierte der Dialog! Sobald ich in dran gemacht habe passierte wieder nichts. Habe Photoshop auch via Cloud deinstalliert und neu installiert das änderte aber nichts an dem Problem. Ich sehe meine letzte Möglichkeit darin den gesamten Rechner platt zu machen und neu aufzusetzen. Allerdings ist er gerade mal knapp 2 Wochen aus seiner Verpackung. Hat vielleicht noch jemand ein ähnliches Problem?
Hilfe, Rat?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Das Problem ist bekannt und wurde hier schon in diversen Threads mehrmals diskutiert. Es handelt sich um einen Bug bei Illustrator/InDesign/Photoshop. Solange dieser nicht behoben ist: Einfach in den Systemeinstellungen den Bildschirm vom MacBook Pro als Hauptbildschirm definieren.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, since I have upgraded to Photoshop 23.0.2 (MacOS Monterey M1 MacBook Pro), all savings functions stopped working; "save"; "save as", "save a copy"; "export" all are not responsive (no error massages or panel though; just nothing happened). I call open all my current psd files and images (raw, jpeg, tiff, etc.) but not able to save at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted my system multiple times,  to no avail. So frustrated as my PS is renedered unusable. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Ta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, since I have upgraded to Photoshop 23.0.2 (MacOS Monterey M1 MacBook Pro), all savings functions stopped working; "save"; "save as", "save a copy"; "export" all are not responsive (no error massages or panel though; just nothing happened). I call open all my current psd files and images (raw, jpeg, tiff, etc.) but not able to save at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, rebooted my system multiple times,  to no avail. So frustrated as my PS is renedered unusable. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Ta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you tried to reinstall Photoshop using this tool?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using an external monitor try going to System Preferences > Displays and making your Macbook Pro display the "Main Display". Restart your machine and see if that helps.

I was having this problem constantly in all Adobe apps until I did this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the Photoshop Preferences? They can be found in the Photoshop menu on a Mac and the Edit menu on Windows. Within the General tab is the button Reset Preferences On Quit.

The Adobe Creative Cloud App allows for multiple versions of Photoshop to be simultaneously installed. You could install and use a previous version while you sort out the issues with the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michael Bullo thanks for your advise. I have just tried Reset Preferences On Quit but that does not help. I have then installed the v22.5.3 as you sugggested. But the problem persists. However, when I tried saving to Adobe Ceative Cloud (instead of saving on local computer), it works well. How can we explain it? Is there a setting that I have inadvently checked that disallow me to save locally? Hope you or anyone can help. Many thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug turned up for me yesterday, after everything working fine for about a week. My set up is a the new MacBook Pro 16" conected to a Eizo monitor with a Displayport-to-USB-C cable. System and software is updated to latest versions. I'm not sure what triggered it, but the issue started practically the moment after I checked off the "Don't show again" box in the "Save on your computer or to Creative Cloud" window (See image below). Considering that saving to the Creative Cloud seems to still work, this might be a part of the problem? 

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and non of them really solve the problem, except for the disconnect-your-second-monitor and just work on your laptop. While this works, it is completely unacceptable and impractical when you have a serious workflow running. The make-your-laptop-monitor-your-main-screen soulution seems to work once in a while. Sadly this does not work if you try to change your main-screen mid workflow, when you need to save a file (This could be a workaround if it worked, but this basically stops Photoshop and you need to do a hard restart of the app).

Connecting a second (or third screen) to a laptop is practiacally the standard amongst all my colleagues in the graphics business, so this bug really, really needs to be adressed asap. 

Screenshot 2021-12-01 at 13.22.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to save by bringing up the save box and simply hitting return. It just saves to the last location so you will need to locate the file afterwards.
As for setting you MacBook monitor as Main Display. Do this before launching any apps and do not make the external monitor main until the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for input GarySD50. In my case the "Save box" comes up missing most of its contents/interface, and hitting Return only works once in a while in my case. Half the time Photoshop just becomes "suspended" with the half empty save-dialog box floating on the top. Force quit being the only way out. 

And yes, Photoshop has been quitted between every change in physical setup or change done in the Library-prefs folders. 🙂 

My work around at this point is having the laptop display set as my Main Display and draging the Photoshop application frame over on to the extarnal monitor. This seems to work so far. 

PS. Have also attempted to install the previous version of Photoshop (22.5.3), manually cleaned out all the setting files in the Library/prefs folder from the newer version of Photoshop before starting it up, but the problem persists … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have noticed the problem persisting over multiple versions, even latest Betas. The issue is with incompatibility with latest MacOS Monterey (Apple of Adobe – who knows?).
It is a pain having windows and dialogue boxes pop-up on the laptop display rather than the external monitor, but at least it works and hopefully the fix will be incoming as it seems pretty widespread.
I guess for the time being we are left using whatever workarounds we have success with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a brand new Apple Macbook Pro M1 Pro, and I recently installed Photoshop and Illustrator 2022, however this issue also happens with 2021 versions.

When I set my HDMI display (Dell) to be Primary Display via Display Options in MacOS (Monterey), I am no longer able to save files in Photoshop and Illustrator. Save, Save As, Save For Web (Legacy), etc. Either via mouse click or keyboard shortcut. Nothing happens.

No prompts or dialog boxes appear on either display. Issue goes away when I switch display priority back so the HDMI Dell display is "Extended Display".

If I edit a new file and attempt to quit Photoshop or Illustrator, I am prompted with the question if I want to save my changes, if I select YES, nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File saving dialog boxes are not showing in M1 Mac Photoshop, there's no dialog box or any file generated, have tried various online fixes.
Includes: Save As.. Save for web... Quick export as..
Using the latest version 23.0.2

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 23.0.2 while trying to save the documents. Would you mind telling us which macOS version are you working on? Also, do you have an external monitor attached to the computer?

If you're working on macOS Monterey & you are using an external monitor, please check out: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-quot-save-as-quot-no-longer-appear-with-se...

If not, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and the same solution. But this is not convenient. I hope the problem will be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macbook air 2020 M1 and photoshop have the latest updates.

'Save us' not displayed if I use my second monitor Dell as my primary monitor. Everything works when MacBook primary. But when I try to 'save us' on the Dell monitor when it second monitor 'save us' it works correctly. But this is weird. I hope the problem will be solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate