• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Random "Right to Left" Text Glitch

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop (CC 2015.5.1) frequently switches into "right to left" text mode. It seems random; Photoshop has "Default Features" in the Type > Language Options menu checked on.

I am able to switch back to "left to right" mode by checking on "Middle Eastern Features", and clicking on the "left to right" button in the Paragraph dialog. I then switch back to "Default Features". But after some time, Photoshop will go back into "right to left" text mode, and I would have to repeat the process above to correct it.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or has experienced and know of a way to make it stay in "left to right" mode permanently? This bug is very annoying and I hope it can be looked into.

Thanks!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017
Hi David,

Finally getting back to you on this but I'm happy to report that I have not been experiencing this issue for the last few months. Newly created documents that start with default L2R direction remain that way. I suppose Jaroslav is still having issues but as far as I'm concerned, the case is closed 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
34 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jaroslav,So

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

testingnew line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jaroslav,

So, generally, there should be no difference between the English version and a localized version of Photoshop. Under the hood, they're almost the exact same app. The Czech version is just the English version with the strings externalized and translated. Almost. There IS a difference with default settings, such as units and color settings and page layouts. Which leads me to why I asked if you were running a non-English version -- we do have three SKUs (English for Arabic, English for Hebrew, and North African French) which have the other default text engine settings. Thus, in a world without bugs, you must have installed one of these. Now, as someone that lives in the real world, it's quite possible that there's some lingering setting bug from a previous install, plus it's also possible that either the Czech version has an incorrect setting -- or did previously. So let's try and knock out that possibility...!

Thus, to rule all this out, I would recommend COMPLETELY removing all instances of Photoshop for both languages. Total uninstall. Once this is done, reboot the OS and reinstall the latest English version of PS and see if the problem goes away. Yes, a TOTAL pain in the butt -- I'm really sorry for the hassle but it's the only way I know of to rule out application language as a cause. I'm still not hearing any other users with this issue, so there's gotta be something unusual and complicated about it (more than just running in Czech, cuz we specifically test that!).

Meanwhile, on my end, I'm going to pass these details along to Tech Support and our vendor teams to see if they've seen anything like this or can reproduce it. Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of this soon.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience

,David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David: now I am working on "Advanced font swap" which is script. And I noticed that I must explicitly say that paragraph is left to right. Default value is right to left. Should it work this way?

var iddirectionType = stringIDToTypeID( "directionType" );
var iddirectionType = stringIDToTypeID( "directionType" );
var iddirLeftToRight = stringIDToTypeID( "dirLeftToRight" );
desc455.putEnumerated( iddirectionType, iddirectionType, iddirLeftToRight );

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Finally getting back to you on this but I'm happy to report that I have not been experiencing this issue for the last few months. Newly created documents that start with default L2R direction remain that way. I suppose Jaroslav is still having issues but as far as I'm concerned, the case is closed 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear!

Not sure what happened, but no problems is my goal.  8-)

If this or any other text-related bug pops up again, please ping me.

Happy Monday,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jaroslav,

No, this is NOT how the default SKUs install.  This would again lead me to believe that your installation is somehow a Middle Eastern SKU (Arabic or Hebrew English or North African French), as those are the only ones which require this kind of explicit declaration.  I'm not sure what else to tell you -- this sounds like a pain, but you should be able to clear it by uninstalling and reinstalling, but check your CC settings first -- click the flyout menu of Creative Cloud, click Preferences, in the dialog click Creative Cloud and Apps, and verify that the App Language dropdown is "English (North American)" or "English (International)".

Hope that (finally) helps,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for explanation of default behavior. I will try clear installation in Virtual Machine and I will check script behavior with same PSD file and same Photoshop version.

Clear instal would be really painfull for me on both my computers. I have CS6, CC, CC2014, CC2015, CC2015.5, CC2017 and some of them are also in two languages. (czech and internatinal english) And I have installed plugins there, shortcuts, scripts, ect. 😄 But is less painfull than reinstall. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Howdy Jaroslav,

Hey, I re-read your email and I may have an idea of how your problem came up.  There were some changes to how the text engine's default behavior worked over the course of the last five or six years.  If you had all of those versions on your machine and switched freely among them, it's POSSIBLE that the settings got confused, even if you didn't install a MENA SKU.  Just a theory and not much help for you in your current situation, but at least it could explain how you got there.

Hope things work better for you,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate