• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Recessed layer thumbnails

Engaged ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to 21.1.0, I've noticed something weird - when opening an image, the thumbnail for the Background layer is ok, but as soon as I create an empty layer, or duplicate the layer, or just turn the Background layer into a regular layer, then the layer thumbnails appear "contracted".

This image shows how the Layers palette (and more specifically, the layer thumbnails) looks like when opening a new document, and how it looks like just after clicking the "new layer" button:

Anyone else experiencing the same? I'm using Windows 10, by the way.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Thanks. This is indeed fixed in Photoshop 22. Sorry it took some time to resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

It's finally fixed in PS 2021. Rejoyce, we can update again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I double checked on my version: PS 21.1.0 on Windows 10.  I didn't experience this gremlin, but I have experienced weird behaviour once when trying to change the name of a layer.  Lots of the side panels disappeared and the cursor turned into the eye dropper, but drew random-ish straight lines.  Fortunately, enough of the top panel was available and I was able to reset my setup to Essentials and gradually put everything back the way it was.

My theory is that the various modules of the software aren't as separate as they should be and something is stomping on the memory space of some other module, but PS has so many modules that come and go as needed that it isn't easy for the bug fixers to discover what module is stomping on what.  With luck, when they find it, they'll solve quite a lot of problems all at once.

With luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm not having the issue and I have Windows 10
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have this issue, on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems related to the Windows interface scaling. I have a High DPI monitor and Windows is set to scale the interface to 125%. If I set it to 100% then the layer thumbnails problem is gone.  In Photoshop the UI Scaling is set to Auto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank everybody for your replies.

Andrei, I think you are right - I also have my scale value set to 125%. If I set it to 100%, the issue goes away, but since my monitor is also high DPI, at 100% everything becomes too small (interface elements, text, etc.).

I hope Adobe is able to reproduce this and provide a fix as quickly as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. I'm using older version because this is a big deal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and my display scaling is set to 110%. This problem did not occur in any previous release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still broken in Photoshop 21.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still broken in PS 21.1.2
nobody cares about this bug !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Hamed said, it's still the same in 21.1.2.

It's funny that, while this is more than annoying (it really makes working with PS harder, since you can barely tell what's in the thumbnail), I didn't downgrade at first because I thought that such a serious issue would be fixed very quickly. Unlike the Lightroom team (which very rarely fixes bugs, and even then, only after 7-8 years of them being reported), I find that the Photoshop team is usually very diligent when it comes to fixing the most pressing issues, and -naively- I thought this one would be amongst such.

By the way - some weeks ago I noticed that this thread had been marked as "In progress". Since there has been no official reply so far (something like "Yes, we can reproduce this and we will fix it"), I thought this issue/thread had gone unnoticed, but it looks like someone was able to check it and reproduce it. At least that's good news!

Anyway. It looks like we'll have to wait a bit more. I really miss being able to work with the regular layer thumbnails...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have this problem. Looks like the Layer thumbnail itself is smaller than it's respective border and the rest of the space is filled with gray. I also am inserting a screenshot. Resetingpreferences doesn't help! I managed to locate where the issue comes from. It's my Windows scaling. I have an 27 inch 1440p monitor and I scale my Windows to 125% because otherwise everything is very small. But the thumbnails in PS somehow have a problem with this and look normal (filling the whole rectangle) only if I set my Windows scaling to 100%. Which is super sad, because I don't want to use that scaling. Please try to fix this guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V.21.1.2 on Windows 10 is impossible to change the adjustment layer thumbnails, in the layer pannel, from small to large in order to preview the icon of the selected adjustment. No problem on the previous version but only in the latest v.21.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V.21.1.2 on Windows 10 is impossible to change the adjustment layer thumbnails, in the layer pannel, from small to large in order to preview the icon of the selected adjustment. No problem on the previous version but only in the latest v.21.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new version is out (21.1.3), and the same issue is still there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately not solve in 21.1.3 , maybe next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, i've filed an official bug report for this, so hopefully it gets fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks my dude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still same issue in 21.2, sad but true

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, like Hamed says, nothing has changed with this update as far as this bug is concerned.
After installing the 21.2 update, I didn't check the new "Select Subject" algorithm, neither the new rotate pattern feature, or anything like that... I went straight to check if the normal layer thumbnails were finally back and... what a disappointement, they are still the same. So, we're in for at least another 3 months (best case scenario...) putting up with this annoying problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping for a fix soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.2.2 is out... and this issue is still there. It's getting incredibly annoying. Sometimes I use PS CC 2019 instead of CC 2020 because it's the only way I can clearly see my layer thumbnails and work normally - being able to see these thumbnails is more important to me than the fancy new features that I don't use (well, I do use them sometimes, but not near that often as looking at the layer thumbnails, which is a very basic feature now broken for many of us).
Anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this bug still persists in Photoshop 21.2.4?

I use Photoshop 21.0.3 this is the last version before this bug appeared. I am afraid to update because I am tired to reinstall Photoshop 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the problem. Just updated the app!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nikita Solovyov Yes, still weird thumbnails with 21.2.4... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@carlos_oliveras  @kristiyan_atanasov  Thank you guys for your replies. This bug is really annoying, I hope we will ll see it fixed someday...

Votes

Translate

Translate