Copied

In 21.2 using Blend If on a group closes the application

To replicate:
1. Create a group from 2 layers (these can be pixel layers or adjustment layers
2. Go to Blending options for teh group
3. Move the Blend if underlying layer slider

Result - Photoshop closes down - with no error message
Expected result - Blend if to work

System : Photoshop 21.2 , Windows 10 v1909, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1080 driver 442.92

Windows relaibility monitor shows
Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Photoshop.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    Photoshop.exe
Application Version:    21.2.0.225
Application Timestamp:    5ed98bde
Fault Module Name:    StackHash_2db0
Fault Module Version:    10.0.18362.815
Fault Module Timestamp:    b29ecf52
Exception Code:    c0000374
Exception Offset:    PCH_4D_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009CBC4
OS Version:    10.0.18363.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:    2057
Additional Information 1:    2db0
Additional Information 2:    2db09072ab7e2945c8799cb65988b940
Additional Information 3:    5eb1
Additional Information 4:    5eb1ca3589f707053c12d4cfb02c5fc1

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    5c0aa082421670d3f740a0d0b5927834 (1675515879641741364)

Dave

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

This issue should be fixed in 22.x or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
48 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

We apologize if you are still experiencing this issue.  We did provide a fix for v21.2.1 for the exact steps provided in the original post.  And we did test other scenarios as described in this post.  Unfortunately I have not been able to reproduce these other crashes or any misbehaviors on my side.  @lance_lenoir , *matthew_lindley @stephen_bay_bsealwzctf8h8 if you could please provide the PSD file and the exact steps you are executing to cause the crash, that would greatly help us resolve this issue.  Afterward, please try enabling Preferences -> Performance -> Legacy Compositing, and let me know if that helps or does nothing better.

Sincerely,

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew, as described above - the "fix" in 21.2.1 stopped the app crashing in this scenario. HOWEVER, the Blend If on a Group still doesn't work as it did prior to 21.2.

The app doesn't crash, but the Blend If effect isn't functioning. Blend If on the Group, using the Underlying Layer slider, just toggles the effect of the group on and off. It doesn't apply a blend based on luminosity. It is just on or off, same as using the layer visibility eyeball. This is on Windows 10, to be clear.

These pics hopefully demonstrate. The "Dodge" group comprises a Curves layer with a simple luminosity midtone lift and a Hue/Sat layer with just -10 Saturation applied. Both have a blank mask but the Group has a negative mask and with painting on the Group mask to apply the combined effect. 

Picture one shows no blend and the dodge effect fully applied in the selected area, on the group mask. Pic two shows that by merely raising the Group Blend If Underlying Layer slider by 1 level, the effect totally vanishes whereas prior to 21.2 the effect should apply across the gradient. Splitting the sliders to feather also has no impact on the fault. The effect just disappears as if the group had been hidden.

If this doesn't make sense, please let me know how to send you the psd directly?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @matthew_pizzey ,

Thank you for clarifying.  For the short-term we are concerned with issues causing Photoshop to crash.  We are concerned with these misbehaviors and plan to fix them in the long-term, but our current focus is keeping the new compositing code consistent to the Legacy Compositing.

-Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely it ISN’T consistent, if something used to work then suddenly doesn’t anymore!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to say the group layer Blend If is consistently not working whether Legacy Compositing is enabled or disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply and update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew, yes I agree, it doesn't work either way... whatever changed in 21.2 killed it.

Fully understand it's not as urgent as, for example, the constant Windows Ink issues, but it just seems odd that Blend If on a Group works fine on 21.1 then suddenly doesn't in 21.2...

Appreciate the reply but if you're able to be more specific as to when this may be fixed, that would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded v21.1.3 and see the same behavior v21.24.  So there doesn't seem to be a change for me.

I unfortunately can't specify when this fix will happen.  But we do recognize it and have it on our To Do list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but just so this is totally clear:

• 21.2: Blend If on Group crashes Photoshop
  • 21.2.1 Blend If on Group no longer crashes Photoshop but blend effect does not work
  • 21.2.2 and beyond - no change from 21.2.1

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, confirmed for v21.x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps 2021 - release notes mention Blend If crash fix. A little disingenuous in my opinion, since the fix purely to the CRASH element was released in 21.2.1...

Blend If still doesn't work on a group

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matthew are you saying you've downloaded PS 2021 and blend if still isn't working on groups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in 22.x or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If indeed it is, that will be wonderful news. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jeffrey - let me just clear something up. Is this fixed as in "not crashing" (this has been fixed for a while) or has the functionality of Blend If on a group been restored??? 

Because as of 22.1, Blend If on a group still doesn't work - the app may not crash but the functionality still is not there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes that is correct, sadly

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mattstix The blend-if should no longer be crashing and behaving like it was in previous versions?  Can you please elaborate on the functionality issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The app is no longer crashing, but Blend If ON A GROUP doesn’t work. Using it just toggles the group effect on and off, there’s no luminosity-based, graduated blend

I set up a new thread as it’s getting confusing on here. I believe Jeffrey is/was escalating 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-21x-blend-if-functionality-on-group...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please also view Lance’s posts below, confirming effect is either 100% on or 100% off

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @mattstix I'll follow up with Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mattstix is correct on the fact that it no longer crashes but the blend/if still isn't working. Here's the weird part! I've attempted to add multiple layer adjustments inside a group and then use blendif on a group and the effect is either ON or OFF no blending. This had been tried on Canon, Nikon, and Fuji images both 8 bit and 16 bit.

But tonight I create a file from scratch using Photoshop 16 bit and put a black to white gradient on it. Then I created multiple adjustments put them into a group and did blend if on the group and it worked. 

THIS MAKES NO SENSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lance. Would you mind posting this in the other thread too? https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-21x-blend-if-functionality-on-group...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Already have mattstix I saw that link above also.

Votes

Translate

Translate