• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Rulers indicators appear offset from real cursor position

Engaged ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2015.0.1 - With the rulers visible, normally the movement of the cursor on the canvas is followed by some thin dotted lines (one on the vertical ruler, other on the horizontal ruler) that move along the horizontal and vertical rulers providing you with some orientation of where you are in the canvas (even if no "real" guide has been placed.

But for some time now, these thin dotted lines on the rulers appear offset from the real cursor position on the canvas. I've tried changing the units, disabling graphic procesor and doing other things, but they don't "snap" back to the real cursor position. When drawing out a guide, I can place it precisely, and the info palette also shows the correct values. It's just that this "reference" on the rulers is always offset (please note I'm not talking about the scale being offset (that would be fixed by double clicking on the rulers corner/origin).

I'm attaching a picture, I hope you understand what I mean. As you'll see, the dotted lines, circled in red, are offset relative to the cursor position on the white canvas.

I tried to find a similar report but couldn't find any. I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 and PS CC 2015.0.1 (latest version). Anyone else noticing this kind of behavior? Thanks.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018
This issue should be fixed by the Photoshop CC 2018 (19.1) update that was released today.

Votes

Translate

Translate
24 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your Preference>Interface for scaling set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering. I hace scaling set to Auto.
I have tried 100% (and restarting) but it happens the same, so I have left it again at Auto

(I will try trashing the preferences later today, but first I have to make a backup of them so that I can restore them if this doesn't help.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi it's me again. After a lot of testing, the culprit appears to be Preferences>Tools>Overscroll (and it has taken me over an hour to narrow down the problem to that single preference, because everytime I deleted the preferences and re-configured them again, the problem would reappear, so I ended up having to configure one setting at a time, restart everytime, check everything is fine, then go on).

I absolutely love the Overscroll feature, but for some reason, turning it on makes the lines on the rulers to become offset, sometimes instantaneously, sometimes only after restarting Photoshop. If I turn overscrolling off and restart, then the rulers are precise again... but I can't overscroll (duh).

Can anybody reproduce this problem? Of course, there could be some other variable involved, but as far as I am concerned, Preferences>Tools>Overscroll seems to be key setting.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 15 days, I can say for sure that on my system, checking "Overscroll" in Preferences/Tools causes the guide indicators appearing offset relative to the cursor position (see picture in original post).

Could anyone please check whether this is a bug (or not)? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engineering is looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey: Great, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I think this issue is not listed in the "Customer reported issues resolved", and it still appears here as "Acknowledged", it looks like today's update fixed this issue, right? So far, the dotted lines over the rulers seems to follow the cursor position accurately after updating (with overscroll active). I hope it's really fixed! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Overscroll enabled in Preferences > Tools...? From my notes, it only happens with Overscroll enabled.

It's not showing as fixed in the bug database yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have Overscroll enabled and when moving the canvas around (in a "fit to screen" view, or smaller, of course), everything seems okay now.

Still, sometimes everything was fine until the cursor/dotted lines went out of sync again. So maybe this update did nothing and the problem will eventually come back. But so far it seems to be working (and normally, it did not take too much effort to trigger this issue... now I haven't been able too).

I will report if the problem comes back. Under any event, thanks a lot for checking the database and replying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey: You're right, it's not fixed. It worked until I created a new document, then the dotted lines on the rulers were (again) out of sync with the cursor position from the very beginning 😞 😞 :(

I hope this will get fixed eventually, because if memory serves me right, there have been 2 photoshop updates since this was first reported. At least it's good to know it's on the "to do" list. Thanks for your attention and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Feb 19, 2016 Feb 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I'm using photoshop CC2014 2.2 on windows7 and I have this same bug. Only the top indicator is wrong.
In the Info panel, the values x,y are both fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 02, 2016 Jul 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2015.5 has been the second update since this issue was acknowledged, but still hasn't been fixed... 😞 😞 😞

I assume this is either ultra-low priority in the list, or harder to fix than I had anticipated. I guess we'll have to keep waiting! But please don't forget about this... it's a small but really annoying problem.

I'm sure you'll eventually get to it so, again, thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem still persists in the current version 2015.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... same here, three updates already, and still not fixed. In fact, it's almost one year since this was first reported - it's a pity not being able to use this visual aid in a reliable way for so long.
Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed with every new PS update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2017 is out... and same problem still happening *sigh* 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaand 2017.0.1 came along, and guess what... nothing either! xD Ah, the sweet passing of time...
I understand there are priorities and you can only do so much with every release, but I thought this one was easier to fix, specially after one year or more. I'll keep hoping for a fix. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a Windows problem. I've tried testing this on my Mac with the latest release and it's working just fine. I also have overscroll on, btw, so I don't think it's that. I have GPU enabled. I've tried it on different documents, different sizes. It's looks quite accurate, whereas your screenshots look very offset. Do wish we could make it more visible (like with other UI items (paths, color samplers, etc) that disappear into the woodwork, it would be nice if we could select a contrasting color for them).

I suspect you're right that it has a very low priority of things that need fixing. <sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks for checking it on your mac. On Windows, it definitely is linked to the "overscroll" feature, or so it seems, since disabling it solves the problem, and checking it again messes the rulers indicators-thingy.
If it's not a problem on the mac, that would explain -at least to a certain degree- the low priority of this bug. But since this was already acknowledged, I didn't think it would take so long to fix...

By the way, I agree about making paths and other elements more visible. I think there is some other threads about that, at least for paths...

Thanks for commenting about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the same problem. Thanks for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know, I'm happy for that. Still, it's more of a workaround than a fix, because it makes us choose one feature or the other (I  mean, accuracy in the rulers area versus Overscroll). I hope this gets fixed for good in CC 2018...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet another new version, and still nothing. 😞 Please Jeffrey... send a reminder to engineering if possible! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed by the Photoshop CC 2018 (19.1) update that was released today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! At long last! Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Ruler bug - User for 20 years. This was fixed two years ago but ............ This same issue is back only worse in 21.0.1 The rulers are scrambled if you hit Ctrl+ in Windows a couple times to enlarge the view. I have a screen capture attached if you folks at Adobe want to see it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate