• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save As actions improperly treated as Save a Copy actions

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I add a Save As step in an action using the Insert Menu Item command the action is treated as Save a Copy. When the action is run the As a Copy option is checked and must be unchecked each time the action is run. There appears to be no way to add a Save As step to an action.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

I believe this was actually a problem with earlier versions of Photoshop before 22.4 and is hopefully fixed with the latest update. Since there was previously only a single "Save As" command, there was no way to know at the time you record the menu item whether you intend to save as a copy or not (and the "With Copy" attribute was always arbitrarily added to the save action step). Now that there are separate menu commands for each, you can insert the one you intend. With today's release (22.4.2)

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Engineering is looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great & easy solution would be to roll back the Save As changes entirely (:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this was actually a problem with earlier versions of Photoshop before 22.4 and is hopefully fixed with the latest update. Since there was previously only a single "Save As" command, there was no way to know at the time you record the menu item whether you intend to save as a copy or not (and the "With Copy" attribute was always arbitrarily added to the save action step). Now that there are separate menu commands for each, you can insert the one you intend. With today's release (22.4.2), you can also optionally revert to the legacy dialog controls for both "Save As" and "Save a Copy" commands (so long as you assume the risk). Recording these menu items via "Insert Menu Item" should now work as expected in either case (legacy or not).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a little trouble following this thread. All I know is this: the Legacy Save As is NOT finding the original folder even though "Save As to Original Folder" is also checked in File Handling Preferences. I'm using 22.4.2.

Geez! I agree with WizWorldLive - just roll it back. We were getting along just fine. It's 2021, if people don't get Save As by now, they can surely find a remedial computer class at a local library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread referenced by Scott above is about 12 miles long. While I'm going to be slightly off topic here (what I'm finding is not related to an action) I apologize in advance.

I stand by my previous message, Legacy Save As doesn't find the current file's original folder. It seems to go to the "last" Save As folder I used. This is inconvenient because I opened a raw file from a LrC collection, worked on version #1 and saved it fine. When I reworked the photo enough for a new version #2, Save As needs to find the folder of the original RAW file and it doesn't. I had to go out to Windows to find the folder.

Another problem - which might be bigger.

a) Open RAW file with LrC, Ctrl-E to open PS 22.4.2, edit and save, and the file gets my correct custom name -v01.tif.

b) Give the photo a new treatment, including merging all layers, Save As, navigate to correct folder, file correctly saves as -v02.tif, and -v02.tif displays in the tab.

c) Make further changes to v02, hit Ctrl+S (Save) and PS saves the file incorrectly naming it -v01.tif.

So, what I have is a file named -v01 that has third iteration changes, with no layers, and the file -v02 is my version #1 - except all of my layers are gone.

Someone should try this. I'll try to duplicate in the morning cuz right now it's driving me bat-$-crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Frank Mazzocco

I am with you on this one! I have over 60 Action Sets with a around 300 total actions that now need to be updated because of the overide on the "save" step in each action not saving to the file directory but rather then desktop!!! - FYI this is after i tried fixing the issues.... Initially; it was changing the file name to the last folder name in the string! - FFS Adobe! Can you guys stop "fixing" what isn't broken! This is just as bad as the last time you decided that the constrain scale shortcuts should be changed from the norm because your developers were bored!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate