P: Save As dialogue is missing options

1 Vote
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a file with an alpha channel and chose "Save As" to save a psd. The alpha channel I created was missing from the file. However, choosing "Save A Copy" revealed an "Alpha Channels" checkbox that was deselected. I selected the checkbox, saved the psd and now it works. I can also choose "Save As" again and it will save the alpha channels as expected.

This seems like a permanent toggle that is applied to all save methods but only shown on one save method. There are other options missing too, like "Notes", "Spot Colors", and "Layers". I don't understand why the options are missing from the Save As dialogue when the format remains the same.

dialogues.jpg

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021
This is most definitely a bug. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. It's correct for the controls to be missing when the Legacy Save As preference is turned off (long story), but the actual settings used to save the file should not be secretly turned off - that's a serious problem. In fact, the very point of the missing controls is to prevent these settings from being turned off for a "Save As" operation. The "Save As" command is supposed to guarantee that everything in the document is pr...

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop go Edit>Preferences>File Handling and check Enable Legacy "Save As"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works for this particular case but this seems like a bug. I was saving a .psd in both cases so the same options should appear in both cases. Having layers thrown out and no way to disable that from the save dialogue seems like a serious oversight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most definitely a bug. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. It's correct for the controls to be missing when the Legacy Save As preference is turned off (long story), but the actual settings used to save the file should not be secretly turned off - that's a serious problem. In fact, the very point of the missing controls is to prevent these settings from being turned off for a "Save As" operation. The "Save As" command is supposed to guarantee that everything in the document is preserved. We'll start looking into this right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble reproducing this and might need some help finding the correct steps to get into the state where the Alpha Channels option is off by default when trying to save a document that contains alpha channels.

Are you still able to reproduce this on your end? Might there be a specific sequence of steps that lead you to this problem? Is there a particular document that you're starting with, such as a new document or one that you're opening from disk? Are you running any scripts or actions just before the Save operation?

Problems like this can sometimes be edge cases that need a very specific setup. So far I'm not able to recreate the right conditions. Any additional details about your particular workflow would be very helpful. For example, it would be ideal if you could provide specific steps starting from a freshly launched Photoshop to the point where you choose "Save a Copy" and see the Alpha Channels option turned off.

Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce it either. I think it happened after the update from Photoshop 2020 to Photoshop 2021. I've been working with 16k multi-layer master images and sometimes I would make a copy where I don't want to keep alpha channels, so I would uncheck it when saving. In this case, opening "Save a Copy" had the Alpha Channels option already unchecked, as if it had carried over from a previous version.

The best I can suggest is to open an existing document and save without alpha channels in Photoshop 2020, upgrade to 2021, then open the "Save a Copy" dialogue again. That's what happened for me, best I can remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. That helps. The transition between Photoshop versions might be the important variable here. I'll include that in my testing. I had been testing the part about first saving with the option specifically turned off, figuring that state was being incorrectly carried over to the next save. Now I'll try that across Photoshop versions as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate