• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save As PNG format deletes all metadata

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 (21.0.1) I posted this problem on the Adobe Support Community forum on Nov 8, with no resolution (original post). I also emailed Adobe Care but after one irrelevant response they are ignoring me. So I am trying the same post here.

Original post:

My Photoshop workflow is: Add metadata as a sidecar file to the NEF raw file (using ACDSee); open NEF file in Photoshop camera raw; do some edits; open image; save as PSD; do whatever to the image in Photoshop; Save As .png format for Web use. In Photoshop 2019 this retained all metadata and saved it in the .png file. In Photoshop 2020 this deletes all metadata - EXIF, IPTC, GPS data, camera data, everything except the Photoshop-specific tags. Doing the same but saving as JPEG retains all of the the metadata.

When I installed the 2020 update I retained the Photoshop preferences, but removed the 2019 version.

In Photoshop 2020 all of the metadata is visible in File -> File Info, and is saved in the .psd files (i.e. visible to external programs like ACDSee). I can also export the XMP file from File Info and all the data is there. It's just saving as .png that loses the metadata. Export (both Quick Export and Export As) as .png also loses the data.

This makes Photoshop 2020 useless for me, since I don't want to save as JPEG. I have re-installed Photoshop 2019, and it works as it should.

What is going on here??? Is there some setting I need to change in Photoshop 2020 to get it to save metadata in .png files? Or is this another bug?

Note: Windows 10 (latest), Photoshop 21.0.1 update.

David

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020
This should be fixed in the 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving the PNG by selecting File > Export > Save for Web? File > Export > Export As...? or File > Save As > PNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using File > Save As > PNG, though Export As and Quick Export do the same thing (as noted above). I never use Save for Web, and don't want to. Save as PNG kept the metadata in Photoshop 2019, so something is broken in 2020 (release 21.0.1, anyway).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to reproduce this. I don't have ACDSee but opening a file with metadata, File > Save As... PNG retains the metadata. Can you send me a file with metadata from ACDSee?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. I think I have enough to go on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case, here are four files:

http://badke.ca/temp/DBadke-PNG-Problem.zip
  • DBadke-PSD-2019.psd - Saved in PS 2019 as PSD, EXIF OK
  • DBadke-PNG-2019.png - Saved in PS 2019 as PNG, EXIF OK
  • DBadke-PSD-2020.psd - Saved in PS 2020 as PSD, EXIF OK
  • DBadke-PNG-2020.png - Saved in PS 2020 as PNG, EXIF is mostly gone
I notice in the DBadke-PNG-2020.png file, the EXIF software tag says "Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 (Windows)", even though the PSD it came from (DBadke-PSD-2020.psd) says "Adobe Photoshop 21.0 (Windows)".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest Photoshop update (21.0.2) still has the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I get a progress report on this, please? Is it being worked on? Any estimate on when it will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see Adobe Customer "Care" is still ignoring me... And I still can't use Photoshop 2020, for which I am paying a monthly fee. It can't be that hard to fix this - some programmer made a minor error somewhere in the PNG save code. The Photoshop 2019 code worked just fine, so a simple comparison of the two sets of code should show some obvious difference.

I have been waiting a month for this. How much longer will I need to wait?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just an FYI, but some of us have been waiting years, if not decades for bug fixes. Hopefully they fix your issue soon, but who knows what really caused it to break in the first place...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's being worked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed with Photoshop 21.0.3 update (Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.0.3 20200115.r.91 2020/01/15: 21f283574f6 x64).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, I understand your frustration... Even if the team had found the solution, they need to test it, to make sure that it does not create further issues.
In the mean time, are you using Bridge to copy the metadata from one file to the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am not using Bridge. I am using Photoshop 2019, which actually works. I won't be using Photoshop 2020 until this is fixed.

I am well aware of the need for testing - I used to be a computer programmer, so I know how our clan screw up. I am also aware that this is not a high-priority item for Adobe, though it should be a simple fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This release is just for macOS hardening and the top windows crasher. There are a couple of forthcoming updates that will address more customer reported issues in the very near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in the 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is working as expected in 2020.1.0 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2024 Apr 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is broken again in 25.6.0. No meta from the orginal photo means not using this format. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2024 Apr 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@RLBoston – I'm on an Intel Mac (Monterey 12.7.4) running Ps 2024 (25.6.0) and all metadata is retained when using Save As to PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate