• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save As - the focus is not in the file name field - macOS Monterey

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Save As (PS 23.0.0 and Monterey 12.0.1 the focus is not in the file name field. When I click into the field and type one character the filename extension (i.e., .jpg) gets added and the cursor goes to the end of the extension so I end up with filenames like "p.jpgrestofname" 

Seeing the same thing in Lightroom when printing to a JPG file (screen shots attached).

John

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Hi all,

Apple released public macOS 12.1 update and it should resolve this issue for all of us. Could you please update the macOS to 12.1 and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Please update to macOS 12.1. This OS update should fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Hey John, this is a known issue with Monterey: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos12-monterey-known-issues.html We're working with Apple on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
47 Comments
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paulloseby@Roger-Sparks It does stop Photoshop from doing the buggy overwrite of the filename. Unfortunately though, it doesn't solve the problem of keys not working when you're trying to save a file. Enter/escape/tab/Cmd-A (select all), left-right arrows for browsing directories, all are broken most of the time when trying to save a file in Photoshop and Illustrator under Monterey. Also, some of us need to show filename extensions in the Finder, and this should have no bearing whatsoever on Photoshop's saving (mis)behaviour.

It's a constant annoyance every few minutes to not know if you'll be able to tab, type a name and save, or if you'll have to reach for a mouse to select the name field. By ignoring such a simple, blatant bug for months and failing to patch the most basic functionality of all, Adobe are making clear how little they care about their subscribers. It's embarrassingly unprofessional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am exporting part of an image as a png (Export/Save for Web (Legacy). The file name is highlighted as to type in a new name as needed. As I type the name (for example: image1) the cursor jumps from 1st position to end of .png with the resulting name "i.pngmage1.png". It's just an annoying problem to have to slow down and retype the name (or rename files afterwards). I've never noticed this before the current version (23.0.2 release). I have attached images of the problem.

Thank you

Export (Legacy) as png3.pngExport (Legacy) as png2.pngExport (Legacy) as png1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Finder (not in Photoshop) and click on Preferences.  Go to Advanced and then clear the click in 'Show all filename extensions'.  That sorted it out for me.  It might not be the proper answer but it does until the next Mac update.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I go to File | Export | Save For Web (Legacy) to save as a file, as soon as I type the first letter, it is adding the extension and putting my cursor AFTER it.

For example, I'll type "f" and it will immediately go to   "f.jpg" and put my cursor after the .jpg.

This is fairly new behavior in the last week or two and happens in both Photoshop Beta 23.1.0 and release 23.0.2

macOS Monterey 12.0.1

[video]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also on Monterey and can't replicate this. Sorry too, I can't see your video (too small). When I use Save for Web (Legacy) then click the Save... button, the entire (current) name is inserted automatically with the extension (JPEG if picked, others if picked). I can competely remove and retype a new name OR select the text just before the extension and type a new name. Is there some other typing utility on your Mac, 3rd party spell checker etc that might be causing this?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why the video was so small. What the heck!
https://vimeo.com/654581200

Anyway, I need to be able to see my extensions, so disabling them in finder is not an option. I work in way too many formats to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe says (in the answer to this thread) that this bug is fixed in OS 12.1. It's a MacOS bug that affects certain programs (saving in Firefox is also affected). I'm assuming they mean upgrade to the 12.1 developer beta. Clearly, Adobe doesn't want to patch it for 12.0.1 and just wants to wait for 12.1. I'm not upgrading to 12.1 beta, because I don't think it's stable enough for prime time.

What I have found is unchecking "show all file extensions" does not actually hide most extensions. The only ones it seems to hide are for files created by Apple programs. For example, TextEdit will hide "rtf" or "txt", and screenshots will lose their ".png". But other images, e.g. those downloaded from the web, won't automatically have their extension hidden. Even if you have "show all file extensions" off, files written by Photoshop seem to still show their extensions. I've just been relying on that to get around the bug for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, oddly enough, it seems that disabling show extensions in Finder is working at the moment. Makes no sense to me. Suggesting updating to macOS 12.1 which isn't released yet, was not an option.

Thanks everyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"By ignoring such a simple, blatant bug for months and failing to patch the most basic functionality of all, Adobe are making clear how little they care about their subscribers. It's embarrassingly unprofessional."

I upvoted your comment and then removed it just so I could have the pleasure of upvoting it twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Suggesting updating to macOS 12.1 which isn't released yet, was not an option."

I believe Jeffery means 12.0.1, not 12.1 and further (and again), I'm on that OS (12.0.1) and cannot replicate this issue. Seems like it was a MacOS bug.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453Hi there, could you please clarify whether the file extension bug is fixed in 12.1 (developer beta) as you said, or whether you meant 12.0.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Apple released public macOS 12.1 update and it should resolve this issue for all of us. Could you please update the macOS to 12.1 and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, indeed fixed.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to 12.1 Monterey, mine is working fine too.  The problem has been resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the latest macOS 12.3.1 and Photoshop 23.3.1 and still have this issue. Doing a normal Save-As or Export-As works properly with just the file name selected, but the Save for Web dialog is still selecting the entire file name and extension by default. I just jumped from Mojave straight to 12.3.1 last week so I couldn't say if it worked correctly in 12.1.

The Save for Web file-save dialog box will also always appear touching the bottom left of the screen instead of center. And if you click on the arrow to hide the column view finder path, the next time you get to this screen most of the dialog box will be hidden off the edge of the bottom of the screen. Re-opening the column view will just expand it further off screen.

Screen-Shot-2022-04-22-at-9.36.05-AM.jpgScreen-Shot-2022-04-22-at-9.36.08-AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since one of the last updates (not exactly sure which), when I use "save for web" and try to type in a file name to save, the file extension (i.e. JPG or PNG) is auto-added after every letter I try to type, also moving the cursor to the end of the extension, so i have to keep moving the cursor back to type another letter or delete everything and start over every time I try to save the file.  

It's extremely agressive too, adding the extension back even as I try to delete one space, so I end up with multiple instances of the extension jumbled up in the new filename as I type.

MAC OS 12.0.1, Macbook Pro, Photoshop 23.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update to macOS 12.1. This OS update should fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.3.1 and this is still not working correctly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @bdub, sorry this fix didn't solve your issue.

Could you share a screenshot of what you are seeing? It is possible this is another issue and the team can look into this further.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me and probably others, this would mean buying a new computer, so it's not really a solution for many. An otherwise working older iMac can't be upgraded past 11. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you using an operating system before Monterey that has problems with filename during save?

Votes

Translate

Translate