• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save For Web - "A write permissions error has occurred" - on macOS (Dropbox issue)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not export any legacy formats.
I have enabled photoshop 2021 in the systems security permissions for full disk access and the same for files and folders and accessibility, after having read some of the previous advice on here for older versions of photoshop and OS, but to no avail. An error message appears every time I try to save for web legacy - It's an animated GIF I'm trying to export. An incredibly frustrating fault that needs to be addressed soon! 

{PS-75070}

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

I've managed to fix this. Its a permissions issue with Dropbox itself and not Protoshop.

Here's the steps:

Disable Dropbox Backup temporally in settings.

Close Dropbox.

Find Dropbox in Applications, right click, go to Get Info.

Add Read/Write access to Administrators & Everyone. Save.

Open Dropbox.

Enable Backups again.

Open photoshop and hey presto Export for Web is working and Dropbox Backups are enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

The answer from Henryh worked for me the first time, and again when I forgot and came back to this forum. 

Dropbox backups will not allow me to Save for Web from Photoshop sometimes. It works fine for days or weeks, then suddenly it won't.

(I'm on a 2015 iMac with Mojave os; you may not have this issue on a newer system.)

These are the instructions that I received from Dropbox live chat (with my notes in parens) and after I did these, I was able to Save for Web again.

• Open your Dropbox desktop app

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

I ran into this issue and found a solution using information from another forum. For me, it had something to do with Dropbox backups. I turned off the backup of my files that was going to Dropbox and re-tried exporting the photo in legacy format (save for web). This time instead of the error message I got a popup to allow permissions for it to write to the destination folder. I granted it permission and the export was successful. After the successful export I was able to re-enable Dropbox backup

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 123 Replies 123
123 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen saving all files using Save for Web or just this one? If just this one, can you share the file? (hyperlink to CC files or dropbox)

Where are you trying to save this file? Internal harddrive, server, external drive? Does this happen saving to all locations? (e.g. try saving to the desktop?)

Check Security & Preferences... Privacy. 

Where is Photoshop allowed to access?

JeffreyTranberry_0-1630024920880.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, 

Its happening with all files. I've just tried creating one with a circle and square animation which is really simple and it still will not do it. I've also tried saving to desktop, external hard drive and internal hard drive will all the same result. I'm panicing a little as my client is waiting for these amimated gifs. 

Cheers

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Yes I've tried that with the same effect 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also check the system prefrences Jeffrey pointed at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes all good. I've seen a few online articles saying is a bug within the latest Photoshop. I'm not sure what version to downgrade to. Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create a new user account on macOS, and launch Photoshop in that user account, does it work? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html#permissions

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this issue and found a solution using information from another forum. For me, it had something to do with Dropbox backups. I turned off the backup of my files that was going to Dropbox and re-tried exporting the photo in legacy format (save for web). This time instead of the error message I got a popup to allow permissions for it to write to the destination folder. I granted it permission and the export was successful. After the successful export I was able to re-enable Dropbox backups and the exporting continued to work without an error.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich habe alle die Vorgeschlagene Lösungsvorschläge ausprobiert. Leider besteht weiterhin dieses Problem. Benötige schnellst möglich eine Lösung.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! This solved it for me! Finally!

Thanks so much @henryh3965006 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was going to try this today but I did a PS update and it seemed to fix it on its own. Have to remember this if it happens to me again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I came here because I have the same issue and I can't save for the web. 
Only I realise that in my security and privacy settings I only have Dropbox and no other apps. 
How can I fix this ?

Thanks in advance, 
Marie

Capture d’écran 2021-09-08 à 10.53.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, when I want to save a gif for the webb, I am not allowed to and it reports a write access error.
What can I do?

Hallo, wenn ich ein Gif für das Webb speichern will, darf ich das nicht und es meldet einen Schreibzugriffsfehler.
Was kann ich tun?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A write access error usually means that you try to save to a location that Photoshop is not allowed to write to. Choose a different destination. Also in MacOS System Settings - Security & Privacy, make sure that Photoshop has 'Full Disk Access'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the backup of files that are going to Dropbox. I turned of backup for Desktop, and now I can "Save for web" on desktop. I will then have to move them to my dropbox folders ... but this is ok for now. What a relief

I've followed this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/write-permissions-error-photoshop-202...

Adobe - fix this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Community! 

Looking to solve error trying to Save for Web (Legacy)

Tried to save on desktop, renaming to just a.gif, reeboting. Nothing works! 

Please help! 

Using Photoshop 22.5.1 and Mac IOS Big Sur 11.6 Skärmavbild 2021-10-05 kl. 13.12.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, always macOS 11.6. While saving for web in different formats I get the same error.

Errore.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I logged a bug for engineering but they were unable to reproduce.

Can you confirm the exact version of macOS you're running? Are you using the Google Drive app or the Google Drive Stream app, and what exact version of the Google app you're using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2021 Oct 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />

I don't use Google drive at all and I've upgraded to Big Sur since I
reported the error and haven't tried to repeat it.

--

...Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a third-party software issue is involved,  there is no place to get answers—Adobe won't support DropBox (they want you to use their storage solution; and DropBox won't support Adobe. So thank you very much for posting the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fantastic. Maybe they have resolved it with an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this fixed the problem for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453 there appears to be no way to add photoshop to the list of `Files and Folders` access in the privacy system preferences pane. Even after unlocking the pref pane, the plus icon remained grayed out, and it is unclear how to make phsop re-request the permissions it may need.

So what WORKED for me, however, was to add photshop 2022 to the adjacent `Full Disk Access` list of applications. This fixed the Save for Web 'Could not complete this operation. A write permissions error has occurred' here, with no messing around with disabling any Dropbox (present) or other syncs.

In the meantime, the @Jorge Fdz. suggestion to usethe browser preview was a viable workaround
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-save-for-web-error-a-write-permissi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was trying to save out an animated gif using photoshop. When saveing via Save for web, when I go to save I get this error message. 'Could not complete this operation. A write permission error has occured'

Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 11.27.14.png

I've tried that didn't work:
• Turning my machine on and off

• Updating photoshop

• Resetting photoshop

• Cursing A LOT at photoshop
• Giving Photoshop full disk access
• Unsyncing dropbox with my desk top and saving the file here
• Trying to save it to my Adobe cloud files

Please, please, please, can someone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate