• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Scrub text leading jumps the value super high

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the scrub method of adjusting on my leading, PS(win) unexpectedly jumps the number way up, even if I'm scrubbing left, even if i'm holding the alt key.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013
Okay, I can finally post this:

We have made many fixes to the behavior of transformed text and they are now available in the latest release, Photoshop 14.1, which you can download RIGHT NOW. I will acknowledge, there are still a few lingering issues to resolve, but for most users, these fixes should handle their problems. We felt it was better to get a partial fix out now than a perfect fix in the future. We are still planning additional improvements for a coming release.

If you are still ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
90 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,
There are a number of separate threads on this bug here and at Adobe Forums. It got introduced in last update of CS6 perpetual (13.0.5 for me) And looks like it is in 14.0 as well. I think it had to do with fixing another "text transform" bug. But the fix made the a Character Panel behave even worse after scaling text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the same goes for the kerning as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly it Charles, the bug only seems to happen when you transform a piece of text then try to manipulate the size, metrics, leading or kerning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When scrubbing the text leading, number jumps to over 5000 and then a error message pops up; "A value between 0.01pt and 5000.00 pt is riquired...". Only happens when mouse is positioned over the text leading icon. Looks like the sensibility is too high. After the message pops up it continues to pop up at least three more times. This very annoying!

System Info:
Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.0 (14.0 20130423.r.221 2013/04/23:23:00:00) x64
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created a post about this scrub issue, but also a few other Character palette operations and have some video examples:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

This needs to be fixed fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 introduced a method of retaining a transform calculation before applying the font size. If text was 100pt and then transformed larger, the text would maintain the transform and apply that to any new values you typed in later. This was very problematic when changing many text layers to the same value (not realizing some layers had transformations applied).

Whether this is resolved or not in CC isn't clear, but CC (and probably the latest update to the perpetual CS6) now almost crash when opening any documents with text that has been transformed from the problematic CS6.

1. Changing the value of text by input or scrubbing will make the value higher than Photoshop can calculate leaving an alert loop that's almost impossible to dismiss.

example here: http://instagram.com/p/a6CzL6AwH1/

2. Changing the value for leading or tracking also increases the values beyond Photoshop's limits and produces an alert loop, but this time will bounce back and forth to the size and alert after alert continue.

example here: http://instagram.com/p/a6CNVKAwG7/

3. A new bug introduced in CC with tracking. Create a new text layer and set tracking to 100. Now transform the layer and see that the tracking readout has changed (it's higher or lower than the amount you had set). Attempting to change this value will give very odd results (whether you type it in or select a setting from the dropdown menu). If you scrub the amount, you can get a looping alert warning you the amount is too high (it jumps automatically into the thousands).

example here: http://vine.co/v/huuX0vD9pwE/embed
(it changed from -10 to -3)

I don't know what is going on, but someone forgot about all the scenarios for changing text after transformations. Clear the transformation calculation when documents are opened or before a new amount is applied! Who beta tested this with you guys? I keep sending requests to beta for you, but sadly all these issues I find on day one of an actual release. I could have helped you see these issues months ago.

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Who beta tested this with you guys? I keep sending requests to beta for you, but sadly all these issues I find on day one of an actual release. I could have helped you see these issues months ago. "

I'm hearing the same from many users lately (and I can confirm), I wonder what is happening at Adobe internally. Must be quite interesting...

Also, same issues here (with font size, tracking, kerning, paragraph spacing, line spacing etc.) since last Photoshop update on OS X and Windows three weeks ago (13.0.5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, same set of bugs here (read for details):

More reports exist as well. The bugs are on all platforms, and since 13.0.5, and is also in 14+.

I'm saying bugs because it's a whole new set of odd behavior around the text panel, and is related to the "font-size fix" which 13.0.5 was trying to fix (which I reported earlier as well).

The mess this time is bigger though, as you can see, and affects all PSD documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully the move from CS to CC will allow Adobe to release app updates when they are ready instead of releasing all apps simultaneously on an inflexible date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Side note:

1) Create two text fields with some text.
2) Transform (scale) them up.
3) Select them both.
4) Change the font size from the text options.

It works, but every time you change the number and hit enter, you see some arbitrary number in the font size box get written, then reverts to what you wanted.

I can also notice Photoshop struggling to render the UI multiple times before it sets the text fields right. I wonder what kind of a lolgorithm is behind this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're about to be disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We know about this issue, and related issues with scrubby sliders on the text palettes, and are working on a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Chris, on a side note when can we look forward to having the same scrubby sliders in Illustrator and InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know - that's up to the AI and ID teams.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Chris mentioned, we are aware of the problem and working on a fix. Meanwhile, if you manually enter a leading value using the keyboard, you can at least workaround the problem for now.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem isn't just with the sliders. Entering values manually on transformed text is misbehaving pretty badly as well (see my linked reports up in the thread).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Meanwhile, if you manually enter a leading value using the keyboard, you can at least workaround the problem for now."

As Stan said that is not a work-around. All input gets broken. Only workaround it to not scale text in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very real fear that instead of fixing the text+transform issues that are the cause of this behavior, now someone will go and break the sliders and make it all worse.

I mean, the mess we're in is due to someone trying to fix a font-size bug, instead introducing a bunch of worse text bugs. What's happening, did all people who know Photoshop's code get fired or quit or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's strange but I could swear there was a similar bug in PS5, with the same circumstances. Odd that it would happen again over a decade later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I recall it was a bug early in CS6, that was fixed. And is now back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right but I'm talking about photoshop 5 (or there about, memory is a little fuzzy), pre the whole creative suite. Same situation happened when text was scaled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh PS 5! I just assumed you meant PsCS5. (I used PS 5, but that long ago is well beyond "fuzzy memory" for me!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CS5, if you scaled/transformed text, then the leading was also transformed. The behavior of keyboard-entered values for leading in CS7/CC is the same as CS5.

There is a widget-issue with the scrubby, but that's a bug actually outside the scope of Text specifically. We are looking at a fix now.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate