• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Scrub text leading jumps the value super high

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the scrub method of adjusting on my leading, PS(win) unexpectedly jumps the number way up, even if I'm scrubbing left, even if i'm holding the alt key.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013
Okay, I can finally post this:

We have made many fixes to the behavior of transformed text and they are now available in the latest release, Photoshop 14.1, which you can download RIGHT NOW. I will acknowledge, there are still a few lingering issues to resolve, but for most users, these fixes should handle their problems. We felt it was better to get a partial fix out now than a perfect fix in the future. We are still planning additional improvements for a coming release.

If you are still ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
90 Comments
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,
Check the Tracking input. That seems broken beyond just scrubby input after scaling of text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, It is not just scrubby input. All input methods for Tracking get broken too after scaling text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Charles, you're right and I've already logged a bug against it. They're liable to be different manifestation of the same cause, but we are working to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks David. I hope for both CC and CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Character Palette if you click the Kerning Icon it selects the Tracking Field. Here's a quick screenshot to show what I mean: http://screencast.com/t/xghNT1cv1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problems here, and wanted to make sure my particular issue was logged with the other character palette issues.

I'm on a PC using version 14.0. In the tracking field, I cannot get it to adjust at all. Regardless of entering the number or selecting from a pre-populated number, it just resets to some other random number. The only way I can remotely adjust the tracking on text is to select the text with the text tool and hit Alt+Right Arrow, and even that doesn't work too well because it doesn't let me fine tune the spacing.

Pretty bad bug here Adobe. Hope you guys get this fixed quick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Brady,

What you are describing sounds new; it is different than the other reported behavior. The field will automatically multiple whatever you enter by the multiplication factor that the transform represents. So, for instance, if you take some 12 pt Tahoma and scale it to 300%, the tracking will also be scaled 300%. That said, when you enter a manual value, you should get that new value (yes, there's some stuff going on under the hood, but what's reported is basically correct). It doesn't sound like you're seeing that. As a consequence, I'd like to follow up with you via a Connect session. I'll send an email.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may or may not help anyone in the meantime, as I know some of the issues listed here weren't exactly like mine, but it will be a workaround for the problem I'm incurring until they get it fixed and maybe it will help someone else out. Big thanks to David with Adobe for responding directly to me and logging my particular issue.

So what seems to be happening (and David acknowledged this and that they're working on a fix) is that when you resize text with the transform tool, the values aren't updating. So if I sized up the text to like 200% with the transform tool and entered the value of 20 in my tracking field, it might auto change it to 10. Now this may not be exact, but it gives you a rough idea of what's happening. For now, make sure all sizing is done through the character palette after the initial creation of the text field and you're not tweaking any sizing through the transform tools. I like to manually tweak through the transform tool myself all the time, but at least it's a way to get by until they fix it, which David assures me they will, as it's a bug they know is a big priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for mentioning this. I was having this bug the other day but didn't think to document it at the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, come on, it's not new at all, here's my report from weeks ago and HOURS after the release of 13.0.5. *PLEASE* read carefully (especially bug C):

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthermore, some values need to scale with the text, while others are scale-agnostic.

Tracking is scale-agnostic. So code which multiplies tracking by scale is a pretty bad logic error in Photoshop's code that was added in 13.0.5. Please check very carefully which properties are scale-agnostic and which aren't. It's a bad mess in there right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Stan, what I was referring to as sounding new was the "I cannot get it to adjust at all" comment. I have already followed up with Brady and his problem is the same as the one you mentioned above. That bug was logged some time ago and is being investigated.

You are correct, several values which should not scale were incorrectly added to the list that are transformed. This mistake came in at the 11th hour, which is why we missed it. Using CS5 as a guideline, we've isolated those which need to be reverted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

I just want to make sure the scope of the problem is properly understood. Not only some properties which should NOT be multiplied by the transform were multiplied but also vice versa, some properties which should be multiplied, are NOT multiplied (line spacing, paragraph spacing to name a couple).

Also, when you copy text from one text field and paste into another, the transforms of the source and target aren't taken into account, resulting in weird size pastes.

Photoshop CS5 would always produce the same size text when copied from one field and pasted into another, never mind the scale transforms of each text field.

Now, there are two strategies to implement this, I think 13.0.5 is trying a fundamentally different strategy than CS5 hence the plethora of side effects.

I have no access to the CS5 source code, but empirically (and judging from the scripting API) what it did was to "normalize" the transform, by adjusting the internal font-size, line-spacing and so on of the text during the transform, so at the end no values need to be constantly multiplied and divided to compensate in the UI.

Well you can go the UI multiplication/division way too, but you need to be really comprehensive, as the example of copy/pasting shows. You need to constantly adjust those values any place they're used.

I feel doing the normalization during the transform is a far simpler, more accurate strategy, but that's just my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typing in values like -700 in the tracking area of the character palette brings up a dialog box saying "An integer between -1000 and 10000 is required." even though it falls within those boundaries. When the dialog box pops up it changes the value in the field to -7124 on its own, then after clicking on the OK button on the dialog box, the value changes to -997, and it never successfully allows me to have the tracking I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the scrub slider to change the font size Photoshop changes the number drastically. This is definitely a bug. I was slide the scrubber from 10pt font to 20 point font and it popped in 1468pt font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this bug is killing me ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manually enter a leading value using the keyboard, but dont work too

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I change certain fields in the character panel such as font size, it will just randomly change to a different number. This happens when I try and scrub control the fields, use the drop down to select a specific amount, and even when I actually type in an amount. This is really annoying and forcing me to work on CS6 still. Hopefully this gets fixes soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in CS6, the Character Panel gets broken after scaling text. And any more than 6 lines of text in Photoshop CS6 screws up saving as a PDF. If CS6 is the last perpetual version Adobe makes, and they say it will be supported for some time, it would be really nice if these CRITICAL bugs got fixed. It is just killing my production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

We're aware of the bug and working on a fix. It is caused by transforming text. If you work with untransformed text, there won't be a problem.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya Charles,

I've been trying to reproduce the problem you're having with creating PDFs based on more than six lines of text. Are you transforming those layers? What font? Point size? I cannot seem to reproduce this problem. If you have details, could you share them so I can get the issue fixed?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,
I believe this has been acknowledged by Adobe over in the Adobe Forums. It is pretty easy to reproduce.

Photoshop CS6 13.0.5

•With clean preferences File>New default new document

•Select Type Tool and click to insert type cursor for point type (using default Myriad Pro 12 pt font)

•Type one line of text, hit return/enter. Repeat until you have seven lines of text in one text layer. Commit Type.

•go File>Save> Photoshop PSD

•go File>Save As> choose Photoshop PDF file type (default “High Quality Print” PDF settings)

• Close Document

•Open the PDF document in any viewer (not Photoshop).

Opening the document in Reader, Acrobat, Preview, any browser, etc shows unexpected text corruption. As a result any PSD document being sent to publisher (or any output) as a PDF file can not contain more than 6 lines of text in any one text layer.
see results:

Edit:
Actually I see there is a thread in this forum (6 months old) describing the PSD to PDF text problem:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Edit II:
Yep, this was acknowledged by "Brett N" over in Adobe Photoshop forums five months ago. "A fix is in the works"...

and, again it is just weird that Adobe has (at least) two official Photoshop forums. It seems like information gets diluted rather than concentrated. Adds more work for the Adobe staff, and makes it more difficult for users to find solutions to their problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just emailed the CEO of Adobe to hopefully escalate this issue since it's existed since CS6 and should have never carried over into CC.

I experience a version of this bug simply when trying to move multiple type layers using the Transform tool.

Very frustrating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2013 Aug 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep the PDF discussion on the topic about that issue, instead of confusing the discussion in this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding bugs with text editing in PSCC Mac just trying to use the color picker (in the menu bar) -- sometimes the color picker won't pick up the color; sometimes it picks up the color, but then deletes the text string I've got selected (as if I hit the delete key). Sometimes I cannot position the cursor in the string and use the arrow keys to re-position the cursor. Happens to text also when attempting to use a layer style color overlay.

Votes

Translate

Translate