• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Select Subject Crashing / Freezing

Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the newest Photoshop 21.2 release running on Win 10 2004. When I use the Select Subject feature inside of or outside of the Select and Mask environment Photoshop will randomly stop working and freeze. After a few seconds the Adobe error reporting widget pops up.

When working outside the the Select and Mask environment the freeze happens when using the Quick Selection tool. When working inside the Select and Mask environment I've had the program freeze with the Marching Ants or Overlay display modes selected while refining the selection.

Though the problem is randomly triggered it is happening often.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Contributor , Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020
Akash,

I upgraded to PS 21.2.1 this morning and reset the settings on my GPU (Nvidia GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2 running the latest Nvidia driver 446.14) to their defaults. This included re-enabling Use OpenCL. I then went back to the images I edited earlier to see if PS would crash as before.

So far this version of PS is stable when using the 'Select Subject' feature inside of or outside of the 'Select and Mask' work environment.

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution. It appears my graphics card has an issue with this new Photoshop release. It's an Nvidia GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2 running the latest Nvidia driver 446.14. I tried the Basic, Normal, and Advanced GP settings which did not resolve the problem. Turning off the GP completely in the Ps preferences did resolve the issue. I have yet to see issues with the GP with my other Adobe applications including LrC, Bridge, or Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This issue is being worked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey,

I found that turning off my GPU had other adverse effects including the crippling of some of the Filter and Filter Gallery tools. So I kept playing around with the GPU settings and found that I can solve the freezing problem with the following settings.

I turned the GPU back on and set it to Normal mode. In the Advanced panel I selected the following settings:

Checked...

Use GPU to Accelerate Computation
Anti-alias Guides and Paths

Unchecked...

Use OpenCL
30-bit Display (I don't have a 30-bit display)

From my experimentation the OpenCL setting is the one causing the freeze to occur. With these settings my GPU is still functional and the Selection and Refine Selection tools work as expected.

I hope this additional information is helpful to the engineers as they continue to research and fix this bug.

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeffrey,

You've been very helpful on past issues. I've been experiencing a Libraries Login problem with Bridge CC on the last few versions. I recently updated to the latest version and still have the same issue as described in the following link.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/bridge-libraries-panel-not-loading-at-start-u...

I am now running Bridge version 10.1.0.163 on Win 10 2004 (Build 19041.329) since my earlier report to Adobe with no change to this issue. I have been asking for an update on the issue but have not received any feedback lately.

Thanks in advance,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the internal ticket and it's still being investigated by the Bridge team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this issue of Select Subject not freezing but instantly restarting my PC. Even with the latest 21.2.1 update the issue occurs.

I have made sure my Windows is fully up to date and I have tried with turning the Graphics Processor off. None of this has helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash,

I upgraded to PS 21.2.1 this morning and reset the settings on my GPU (Nvidia GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2 running the latest Nvidia driver 446.14) to their defaults. This included re-enabling Use OpenCL. I then went back to the images I edited earlier to see if PS would crash as before.

So far this version of PS is stable when using the 'Select Subject' feature inside of or outside of the 'Select and Mask' work environment.

Regards,

JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, tengo el mismo problema con selección y aplicar mascara no fusiona y se congela y no me deja hacer nada tengo apagar la PC porque no me deja cerrar el programa tampoco, ya lo actualice y no hay cambios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC also instantly reboots when I key Select Subject or Select Sky.  I've tinkered the GPU settings in performance with no success from Basic nothing checked to Advanced everything but 30bit checked. 

PC Win10 20H2 with latest Nvidia studio drivers on GTX 1070 GPU running PSCC 22.2  (similar results for previous PS ver and Nvidia ver).  I've reinstalled all Adobe products cleanly with help of Adobe support.  Also, did a clean install of the Nvidia GPU driver.

I would certainly appreciate suggestions.

doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot reproduce your issues. Running Photoshop CC 22.2.0 on Win 10 version 20H2 build 19042.746 here. My graphics card is an older model Nvidia GTX 770 with the Nvidia 460.89 driver. In the GPU Advanced Settings panel of Photoshop 'Use Graphic Processor to Accelerate Computations', 'Use OpenCL', and 'Anti-alias Guides and Paths' are ticked. '30 Bit Display' is un-ticked. I don't think you want that ticked unless you have a 30 bit display.

Have you tried running with your GPU disabled by un-ticking that selection in PS? I know you lose significant performance and functionality but if it stops the problem at least that's a clue. I also heard that the most recent Nvidia drivers were causing some issues. That's something else to consider if the problem started to show up recently after an upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments, James.

I have tried checking and un-checking OPen Cl and Anti-alias with no effect.

I've removed the GPU so the CPU would do all the work  - reboots.  I've also disabled in BIOS the native GPU functions in the CPU - running just the 1070, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have yet to try disabling Hyperthreading in BIOS.  Some say that will help.

Something about the configuration of my machine seems wrong.

I have a little time today to try disabling Hyperthreading.

The system temps, CPU, and memory all check out, as do all the Win10 troubleshooting routines I've run.

Votes

Translate

Translate