• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Selection marquee off by 1px

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quite annoying "feature" in the new Photoshop is the inaccurate selection marquee. It's off by 1 px to left and to bottom.

To reproduce:

1. Create an 500x500 px image

2. Hit Ctrl+A

Result: while the whole image is selected, the marquee is inside the image on the top and left.

Photoshop_CuEh6UxPex-411504ef-0961-470b-b847-78565c387108-79309103.pngPhotoshop_CuEh6UxPex-411504ef-0961-470b-b847-78565c387108-79309103.png
Another selection touching the sides of the image:
Photoshop_U2ThJhPNwf-939e3eff-9cd5-4d89-bca7-1e76f9129457-1938501390.pngPhotoshop_U2ThJhPNwf-939e3eff-9cd5-4d89-bca7-1e76f9129457-1938501390.png
Edit:
Tested on 2 computers, the same behavior.
1. i7 7700K, 16 Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1060
2. Laptop Lenovo Legion 5, i7 10750H, 16 Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1650
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

I just tested after getting the latest update. It looks like we have a fix!

Edit: Hold on -- we aren't quite there yet. See below.

Votes

Translate

Translate
37 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what resolutions/zoom levels are you seeing it still off by one with? I'm trying to repro here, but haven't found a combo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the latest, and am seeing it at any zoom level I try. It feels a little different than before, but it's not accurate. I often have to select something a few times to get it right. There's a mismatch from what is shown while selecting to what is selected after I let go of the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nathanlyle Would it be possible to get a screen recording/demo of what you're seeing? Might help our QE/Eng reproduce/understand what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, what I could notice is that one thing that seems to affect the marquee offset is where on the screen the marquee is being displayed.

The easiest way to reproduce is:

- set photoshop to fullscreen

- open a small image that fits well in the screen

- select all

- move around the image window in the work area (space bar + left click + movement)

- notice each edge of the marquee will move 1 pixel up or down or left or right, depending on which edge. it seems to depend on some kind of "quadrant" of the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry Here you go.  As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the fact that I create an image with a size that causes it to default to 66.7% zoom makes the difference.  If I choose dimensions small enough that it fits on the screen and Photoshop defaults to 100% zoom it behaves better.

Video capture

You may want to get the full resolution video by downloading the file instead of playing it through Google Drive.

I'm guessing some sort of screen-to-image translation gets generated when a file opens and if it doesn't round evenly to pixels you'll have off-by-one artifacts, even if you zoom to 100% before working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry I don't have an app to do a video capture but will look at setting on up so I can record it the next time I'm seeing the issue crop up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still present in 22.4.3.  This video still applies.

As mentioned earlier, everything behaves when you create a new image and it's small enough that it defaults to the 100% zoom level.  If it's big enough that it defaults to 66% and then you zoom to 100% to work, it will have these off-by-one errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@GregV , thank you for taking the time to create this video.  It looks like the first square created (the red one) is 106px x 106px, while the second square is 107px by 107px. I suspect the difference shape size is causing the behavior you are seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2021 Jul 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an artifact of the issue.  Look at the "Photoshop Zoom" video I just made from it, which has the relevant portion blown up 500%.  (I apologize for the blurriness, my video editor doesn't support other scaling modes.)  Pay attention to the center pixel of the cursor.  I took care to line it up exactly to the upper left and lower right corners of the box.  The black part of the horizontal and vertical lines also line up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification. I have reported the issue to the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this problem after upgrading to Photoshop 2021. I found the solution for me. The default feather value for the marquee was .4 pixels. I changed it to zero and all is well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found this thread when having a similar problem of selections drawn with the marquee snapping to 1px off a guide.

I seem to have solved the issue by editing preferences.

(Using Photoshop v on a Macbook Pro running MacOS Big Sur v11.6.7 with an AMD Radeon Pro 5300M GPU)

From the top menu, hit Photoshop -> Preferences -> Performance, and tap the [Advanced Settings...] button in the top-right quadrant labeled "Graphics Processor Settings."

Un-tick the second box labeled, "Anti-alias Guides and Paths"

PS22-GPU-settings.pngSeems like it's a bug within that aliasing function that snaps selections off by 1 (aliased) pixel.

You will still have to re-draw your guide(s) and do a new selection after you un-tick the box, but shouldn't have to restart or anhything.

Hope this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate