P: Slider Lag

9 Votes
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 2020.1, when dragging sliders (e.g. in Levels, but in other slider-containing dialogs as well) there is a significant lag before the screen redraws (Preview enabled). The screen doesn't start to redraw until I stop dragging the slider; there is about a 0.5 second or more delay before I can see the effect of the change. Photoshop 2019 does not do this, on the same computer; the slider change effect is shown continuously and smoothly in the preview as the slider moves. This is happening even with very small images (1000 x 600).

This makes fine adjustments very difficult to do, since I can't see the effect as it happens.

System information:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.1.0 20200212.r.106 2020/02/12: 4dd027efb58  x64
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater 10.0.18362.329
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:13 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2
Physical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3000 MHz
Built-in memory: 16318 MB
Free memory: 11196 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 14929 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 75 %

I have tried many suggested "performance enhancing" preference settings, but they don't help. Current settings:

I have two scratch disks set up, with the main one on an SSD.

My computer is certainly fast enough that there should be no lag, and there is no lag in PS 2019. Am I missing some setting or tweak that would eliminate the lag? Or is this a known problem in PS 2020.1?

David

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
38 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also tested 21.2.5 - it's fractionally more responsive than 22.2 but still far worse than 21.0.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020_21.2.6.482 & 2021_22.3.0.49 also still flag

nice work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested 22.3, no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been going on over a year! Every month that Adobe takes $10 out of my account I am more infuriated because using this app has become extremely stressful.

As someone with adhd who works very quickly from one step to another,  having the app respond at 10% of the speed literally makes me start panicking. Jobs that should take 1 hour are taking more like 3 because fine tuning is a nightmare. 

We shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee to be stuck using outdated software just because it runs better. 

This also affects my panel plug-ins rendering.

If my computer can run vr perfectly, it should be just fine with photoshop. 

FIX THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why Adobe isn't fixing this problem. The only option is to work with version 2019. In every 2021 Version the Gradation Curve layer works only on top of the other layers smooth. If there are other layers above, the whole thing is very sluggish. Photoshop 2019 works fine and smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Photoshop since the beginning, but in the last year I have rage quit the program almost as many times a day as it quits itself. Performance and usability has taken a significant nosedive, and I have a high spec workstation. I have never seen this level of bugs, instability and workflow compromises prior. I do not understand what they are doing. Neither do they it seems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these 2019 download links legit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... I use InDesign frequently too and that was in a very similar place to where Photoshop is now a few iterations back. Then they had a year where they just did bug fixes and performance improvements and it dramatically improved things. It's not without issue but the core product is so much more stable and responsive after that.

Feels like the Photoshop team have so much expectation placed on them to create new features - and especially now they've got the iPad version to support as well - that the core performance and stability is never the focus and it could really do with being, particularly for larger, more complex compositions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came on here looking up this issue with the laggy sliders in PS 22.3 and to see if there was any kind of fix. Unreal that this has been going on for so long with PS... I remember back in 2019 PS had this issue and could be worked around by disabling 'Rulers' but was later fixed (thankfully). I tried the same workaround just now on 22.3 and no dice, unfortunately. This is very aggravating when making fine color adjustments. 

I'm on a Mac Pro with 32gb of ram, so this is not a machine competence issue, this is PS which evidently inherited the same bug from 2019. If anyone has figured out a work around, that would be awesome. We can only hope that Adobe will fix this annoying problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing, because this topic is marked as 'solved' it's not the best place to say it's still not solved - given the ton of topics on here - but yeah, still having the issue with these more recent versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps 2020 21.2.10.118

ps 2021_22.4.3.317

still keep this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous. I've been using photoshop for 30 years and it's never been this unuseable. I'm a professional photo editor and this lag is causing my workflow to be completely disrupted. Fix this Adobe! It's still here in 23.0.2. You should be bloody ashamed of yourselves. But i guess as long as the millions keep flowing you don't care.
Let alone the problems with Wacoms and Photoshop. 
Try fixing bugs before introducing new features that no-one wants and introducing new bugs in the meantime.
Adobe are turning into a bunch of rip-off artists, with unuseable software. Don't even get me started on Premier Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@StructAural This thread is over a year old and was marked fixed. If you want an issue looked at, create a new thread along with details to reproduce the issue. A video demonstrating the issue, along with a file that reproduces the issue, as well as your system info (select Help > System Info... from Photoshop) will help us.

Here is what I see with slider performance in 23.0.1 on an older Intel, Macbook Pro: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/e7265ecd-fe7c-407f-56be-f3f781cc29e7 

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate