• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Smart object comps are different in parent and child documents - layers style is broken

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing smart object comps isn't visualy same in parent and child document. Parent document doesn't show layer effect style correctly if style is removed in second composition in child document.

Sample file: http://sklad.bereza.cz/00-jarda/cokoliv/ps-bug-comps-sample-file.psd

Steps to reproduce. (now in English UI)

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016
I believe the bug here is that the deleted layer style should be deleted from all comps. Deleting a layer style should be treated the same as deleting a layer. Layer comps can't store a different file structure, just different settings. The workaround, or the correct way, to have layer styles visible in one comp and not another is to turn off the layer style visibility. Then it will work correctly. I'll log a bug for Tim to take a look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't clear from watching the video, but are you saving the smart object (temp) file after changing the comps?  (which should trigger an update in the parent psd) When I open the smart object in the sample psd,  the yellow stroke fx appears to be  present in both comps 1 and 2 (which seems to indicate the changes aren't being saved for whatever reason)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heureka. I found next strange thing. Comps setings is lost after saving and reopening file. If you remove style, update comp, save file, close file and reopen file... the removed layer style is back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have proof that this is a bug. (second video) Will the anyone care?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the bug here is that the deleted layer style should be deleted from all comps. Deleting a layer style should be treated the same as deleting a layer. Layer comps can't store a different file structure, just different settings. The workaround, or the correct way, to have layer styles visible in one comp and not another is to turn off the layer style visibility. Then it will work correctly. I'll log a bug for Tim to take a look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. 
It's up to you how it should work. Anyway, it must not give the impression that it works if it's not true. Because users are loosing their date and time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Agreed. When I get back to my office, I was going to try running my ancient version of ImageReady (where comps were first implemented) to see if originally had this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate