• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Start Screen: Launching Photoshop by opening an image results in start workspace with no panels

Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Photoshop 2015.1 is closed, and I open it by right clicking (Windows 7) an image and choosing Open with Photoshop, it opens in the Start workspace with no panels. The only way I can get back to my normal workspace is via the workspace drop down menu. There is no benefit from the Start Screen in this situation. It is just an interruption to workflow.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016
Any remaining issues with oddness introduced with workspaces and opening files with the start screen should be ironed out with the 2015.1.2 update released today: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate
16 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Trevor,

What version of Photoshop are you running, both version number and language?  Also, what OS are you running?  The Start panel only displays in US English, Continental French, German, and Japanese.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

Windows 7 SP1
English (North American)
2015114.r.301 x64

I also have the same problem using the Firefox Open With Photoshop addon, or dragging an image onto the Photoshop desktop shortcut.

I have started a new project since opening this topic, and created a new Library from a large PSD file for this project. What happens now is that Photoshop initially opens with my usual workspace, but quickly switches to the Start Screen but now with the addition of the Libraries panel on the right of my main screen, (I use three monitors).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

Hmmm...that's odd.  I'm wondering if the three monitors is what's throwing Photoshop off.  It's supposed to display the Start screen without Libraries on launch.  You shouldn't see your usual workspace load and be replaced.

Could you possibly post a screenshot of your three displays?  Or even better, a video showing PS launching.  Something is not quite right here...

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm Trevor's observation. I am running Win 7 SP1 with Ps 2015.1 using two monitors. I see my workspace flash momentarily on my second monitor then Ps reverts to the Start workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my normal workspace

I see this for about half a second. Always the same

And the image fully open in the Start workspace

GTX970 Drawing mode Advanced everything but 10 bit display turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David

Chuck and SG (staff poster) have pointed out that we can clear it with the Escape key, which I should have guessed to try. I am happy with that personally, but I have asked if this behaviour is the same for everyone.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2026182

I'm quite liking the Start screen (Or I'd avoid this issue by disabling it). I like that I get thumbnails for recent documents, and I love having recent file downloads with thumbnails. I 'think' I work very quickly though, and get annoyed with apparently needless obstacles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're investigating this; it is not expected behavior for the workspace to be broken like this on file open.

regards,
steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another aspect of this is that when I open Photoshop by dragging an image onto the Photoshop icon, or by right clicking an image from my browser, and choosing 'Open with Photoshop', I get just the Libraries panel on the right, but I can't cancel out of this with the Escape key unless I first click on the image to make its tab active. I know what to do now, but it took me a minute to work out that I needed to click on the image before Escape would work, and it is not particularly intuitive.

I am still a fan of the Start and Recent files screens, but they are just a wee bit clunky at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open Photoshop there are no workspaces showing not even default.
I did the latest update last night hoping it would fix this but nope still a problem. I always have to turn it back on. Please help!

I am running Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be solved by the 2015.1.1 update released tonight: https://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/20...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not solved!
I click on a CR2 file Photoshop opens raw panel I click open My 'essential' workspace flashes on screen for a split second and is then replaced with 'Start screen'. This is a real pain. Why can we not have the option of picking the workspace we want Photoshop to open up in in preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not solved!
I click on a CR2 file Photoshop opens raw panel I click open My 'essential' workspace flashes on screen for a split second and is then replaced with 'Start screen'. This is a real pain. Why can we not have the option of picking the workspace we want Photoshop to open up in in preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, You can turn off the Start screen on a per instance basis with the ESC key. There may still a few case where opening files still break the workspace selection. What OS are you using?

You can also disable the 'Start screen' workspace generally, by unchecking the option in the general preferences.

regards,
steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any remaining issues with oddness introduced with workspaces and opening files with the start screen should be ironed out with the 2015.1.2 update released today: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I have a similar problem with 2015.1.2

Recently, PC CC 2015 has started freezing for up to 4-5 minutes upon startup. The UI becomes unresponsive, workspace is black, the tool panels are not displayed. CPU activity is 0%. There's nothing to do but waiting. The problem totally disappeared when I disabled the "Start Workspace". Now, PS launches almost instantly. The problem appeared after I installed a new graphics adapter (a Quadro K620).

I'm wondering whether PS has problems connecting to the servers providing the news in the Start Workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate