• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Taking too long to start

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having a problem since updating to cc 2019, when I try to start photoshop it just freezes on the loading screen saying "Adding Extension....Halide Bottlenecks" and stops responding, but if I wait about 10-15mins it goes past that and photoshop starts.

I have already tried disabling this extension, reset my preferences, but nothing seems to work
Please help

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018
See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/freeze-on-launch.html

Probably an abnormally large preset file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
42 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reverted to CC 2018 until the PS guys can get 2019 to function as well as 2018. Its unfathomable that a program as fast and responsive was "upgraded" to the laggy mess that is CC2019. The load times alone are an annoyance and don't get me started on painting complex illustrations or smoothing line work, basically a waiting game where brushes can sometimes have a mind of their own. Illustrator suffers some of the same traits, but at least it is a bit better in terms of workflow (CC 2018 was still smoother). For professionals who use these tools every single day, these types of "upgrades" are unacceptable. I should not need to go tooling around with presets, and editing folders to get something that was running like a dream to now perform bare minimum tasks amicably. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The HalideBottlenecks plugin is located in Adobe Photoshop > Contents > Required > Plug-ins > Extensions. I renamed it with a ~ at the beginning and Photoshop loads within 2 to 3 seconds. At least on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, works like charm! Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel - wondering if you can help - also on a Mac and cannot even find the folder you suggested nor the plugin. I have done a spotlight search for the file and the only one that comes up is in the InDesign folder. Any clues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to look in the Photoshop application itself. Navigate to Adobe Photoshop CC [year] in Finder. Select the application, then right-click or control-click on it and choose Show Package Contents. 

Once you've revealed the Package Contents, you can navigate to the Extensions folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of speaking too soon, the HalideBottlenecks plugin, even though included with Photoshop 2020, does not appear to cause a slowdown upon opening. Photoshop 2020 opens in about 4 seconds for me, even though the plugin is included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel - it definitely is for me, even more so than with 2019. Funnily enough I tried/risked making your suggested change to the InDesign file and Photoshop loaded in 5s on it's next load. Could just be a random coincidence or perhaps somehow tied to a core cloud function (??) but thanks to James' help I have now located the Photoshop file and made the change. Out to 10s but a vast improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that Photoshop pauses on Halide bottlenecks is a red herring. Most likely an overly large preset file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 2020 was loading in 5 seconds - yup I have an extremely fast windows pc.  The fault is definitely with other programs incompatibility as I have now loaded all of Topaz AI and Dxo Niks as well as a few others and - you guessed it - now take 30 - 40 seconds to load up.  For me it is a 3rd party fault

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem here. Deleted extensions and reset profile and everything was good... for about a week. Now it's doing the exact thing again. Adobe need to figure this out and find a solution once and for all. Mid 2019 iMac with 40 GB or RAM. So annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Reset the preset file and everything was fine for a couple of weeks and now, the problem is back. Also, PS is not freezing but rather taking forever to load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a lot of presets loaded again?   You might try removing them all and adding them back slowly to see how your customary presets might be affecting load times. I'd include the default presets to see if they aren't part of the problem, too. They have to add to the load in addition to your own. Patterns are often very, very large, for example. I haven't checked on how large the shipping pattern sets are, but I know mine can skyrocket the overhead for loading presets. I have many that are large, not small repeating tiles.

I have heard that some antivirus software might also be a problem—in fact, I had a problem with mine (after 20 years of never having a problem), though it was interfering with something else. If you have it running always, have you tried temporarily disabling it before launch to see if that's it?

If you're sure none of that is it, Adobe might need to know what OS you're running in order to ask about other possible reasons for the slow down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any third party extensions? Is the splash screen showing when stalls on start?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problems started when I updated to Photoshop CC 20.01.1. It takes my PS 8-10 minutes to open. I have tried several things I have read in these threads. I do have a lot of presets and brushes. I will try to delete alot of the presets that I know I don't use, but I do use a lot of my brushes. It has been extremely frustrating especially since PS worked beautifully until my recent update. Mine lags on "reading preferences"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're still stuck, contact support directly and they can help you troubleshoot: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Had the same extremely long delay with the "adding Halide Bottlenecks extension" on startup of Photoshop CC 2020 v21.2.1 after installing Topaz Gigapixel AI and Topaz Mask AI. I uninstalled them both and now back to normal startup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate