• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: The state of folders in Presets panels is not remembered between session

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, I have 30 some styles folders on my Styles palette. I like to keep all of these folders expanded so that I can quickly scroll through them and select the styles which are located in each of these folders. However, since updating to Photoshop 21.01 or 21.0.2, whenever I launch Photoshop, all of these folders are collapsed, and I have to take the time to expand them all again using the disclosure triangle. Is there some setting which will allow me to always have these styles folders already expanded each time I launch Photoshop? Thanks in advance.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020
This should be fixed in the 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate
22 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 21.02 et macOS 10.15.1 Pareil pour moi, alors que pour les motifs, les dégradés etc.... les dossiers développés restent ouverts pour les sessions suivantes ?

PS 21.02 and macOS10.15.1 the Similar for me, while for motives, gradations etc the developed files remain opened for following sessions?

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've asked engineering to look at this. An easy workaround is to cmd/ctrl click on a folder to expand all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey. I hope a more permanent solution is forthcoming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank's, on macOS is Command + click on a folder.
Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think a Solo mode in the flyout/ c-s menu for panels, something like LR has, could work for everyone. Enable Solo mode and it closes whenever you open a new folder. That helps those of us who hate scrolling.  Don't enable Solo mode and it leaves everything the way you left it, so if a folder you're working with is opened, it stays open until you decide you want to close it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OUCH! I just opened Photoshop 21.0.2 for the first time after an update earlier today. I used the command-click option as you suggested, Jeffrey -- which worked fine -- and the first thing I noticed is that all of my custom styles have apparently been zapped out of existence. All of the imported styles I downloaded from the web some time ago are still there, but none of the ones that I actually made in Photoshop are there. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you never save them to the hard drive as their own set(s)? They're normally stored temporarily in preferences, so if that gets zapped, so do your presets. They should be in My Styles if Preferences weren't zapped.

If you kept an older version of your software, you might be able to recover them from that version's Preferences> Settings folder. I have a Styles.psp file in my 2019 Settings folder. I haven't tried to see what it would do if I copied it into my 2020 Settings folder, but if you've got something like that, it could be worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cristen, I was not aware that I had to manually save them to my hard drive. At any rate, there is NO "My Styles" tab in Photoshop now. There is only a "Styles" tab which shows all of the default styles, plus my imported styles.

I did find a "Styles.psp" file on my backup external hard drive in ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings/Styles.psp. While it is dated from ten days ago, even though I placed it in my current Photoshop installation in the same place on my internal hard drive, it made no difference. "My Styles" is still not showing. So, I am assuming that the update today just zapped them out of existence. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really sorry to hear that. A lot of people think that if their custom styles are there tomorrow, they'll be there permanently. It's something I could wish Adobe had a better fix for—such as when you see New Style (or whatever), the dialog also has a Save To Disk or something that would perhaps come first and catch the user's eye—at least make them think about doing that.

I also try to save at least one version back (currently all that Adobe technically allows), just in case something isn't working in the current version. It's always bothered me that Adobe's Creative Cloud hasn't made that option VERY visible to users. Both keeping our preferences and keeping older versions should be up front and center, instead of requiring the user to just know about it all.

> even though I placed it in my current Photoshop installation in the same place on my internal hard drive, it made no difference. "My Styles" is still not showing. So, I am assuming that the update today just zapped them out of existence. 😞

I would have expected them to have updated the Settings file when they updated the software from 2019 to 2020, and with an update where they didn't ask if you wanted to keep your Preferences, they'd be kept automatically, but as everything keeps changing, I haven't run into this lately to know. And of course, you'd have to know you did want to keep your Preferences. That wouldn't help if you didn't know why you'd want to keep them.

I guess reconstructing your styles as you need them will be a good learning experience??? (sigh) Now that you've been burned, like most of us, you won't forget to save your presets to disk. Just a crash in the same session could have cost you what you'd just created—just ask me about it.  '-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, when I create and save a new style on the "Styles" palette, it does not create a new physical ".asl" file in /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2020/Presets/Styles/, correct?

It sounds like you are saying that the new style is only saved in the "Styles.psp" file in ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings/. So, if that file gets zapped or replaced by an update, then all of my custom styles are gone.

It seems to me that if imported styles can be saved as .asl files in /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2020/Presets/Styles, then our custom styles should be able to be saved there as well, so that they are not lost with an update.

I am wondering if I should make this a feature request, if it hasn't been suggested already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's no doubt been requested over the years, but a new request certainly wouldn't hurt and may garner enough votes for it.

Saving your presets to disk isn't automatic, correct. Just to the temporary Settings folder. I don't know if people want it to be automatic as plenty of people (particularly designers) may create presets for a project, perhaps by modifying their standard presets, but when that project is done, they don't want them all cluttering their hard drive. I'm just guessing that might have been the original reason for this behavior, particularly when hard drive space was rare and expensive.

I, otoh, would be fine with it being automatic, since I have to manually clean out my Library Presets folder anyway, and when I'm creating several patterns, brushes, or styles in a session, having  to constantly save to disk while I'm working (to avoid the crash that never happens unless you have something you haven't saved), is more of a PITA than clearing out from time to time.

I know we've also asked for a more automatic backup for our Library folders. Briefly we had Cloud Sync and they made a promise to bring something like that back (but didn't say when). Just a script from Adobe that we run to gather our important settings and presets together so we can manually back up to an independent location on our computer would also be helpful.

Some solution or combination of solutions should make this  easier. I think they've been depending upon us to learn the hard way.  '-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in the 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, I am still on 21.0.3. As far as 21.1 is concerned, it isn't showing up yet in my menubar app on my iMac. However, I will definitely keep an eye out for it.

BTW, when you say "This should be fixed", are you referring to the collapsing presets folders, or to the other issue where custom styles are not automatically saved as .asl files on one's hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Automatically saved?  You mean does Adobe open to the Applications folder automatically? Because in my experience, it always opens to the last-used, so I can open anywhere and next time, that's what it will open to. By default it opens to the Library folder.

If you mean the permissions issue, I thought that was Apple. I just gave every folder in the chain a user permission and it works. Plus it does open to that folder again.

In all instances, regardless of where I'm saving it, the suggested file type IS .asl in the name field when I open Styles to save a style set.

Have I completely missed what you were referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Cristen. What I was referring to is what we were discussing earlier. That is, I would really like to see when we create a new style, it is automatically saved as an .asl file in the Presets/Styles folder, and not just in a temporary memory space where it may be lost through a version upgrade, or due to some other unforeseen reason.

BTW, Jeffrey, I now have 21.1 installed. It became available shortly after I made my previous comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wordweaver, I think I will split the thread at the ouch level, since it is an unrelated issue to the first one, way easier to follow that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wordweaver, I think I will split the thread at the ouch level, since it is an unrelated issue to the first one, way easier to follow that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Jeffrey refers to the former, (folders). Can you confirm it is fixed for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, looks like I can't, could you start another thread with the auto save to all, but it is valid for every unsaved preset, including actions, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> That is, I would really like to see when we create a new style, it is automatically saved as an .asl file in the Presets/Styles folder,

Oh, okay. Not an "issue" in their minds because that's the way it always has been, but a feature request from us to them—one that I think has been delivered often.  (sigh) I think we all agree that too few people realize they'll lose their presets if they don't save them right away to the hard drive, so an automatic way of preserving them is a very good idea.

I learned early on in my life with PS when I set out to make several new presets in a single session—and apparently there's a law that says if PS is ever going to crash, it's going to crash during a session like that. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the collapsed styles folders issue is indeed fixed on my 2017 5K iMac running macOS Catalina 10.15.3. I just ran 21.1 for the first time. I manually opened all of my styles folders, and then relaunched Photoshop two times. In both instances, the folders all remained open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Done. I just created a new thread regarding saving styles automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate