• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t add much more to this feedback that hasn’t been raised already, except that I totally agree that it was an unnecessary and contradictory ‘new feature !’

I teach Photoshop for a living and since the latest update I don’t find it’s made new users ( for which the 2019 features I’m sure were introduced) any wiser about a standard convention when scaling/drawing anything proportionally in PS.

I can see a 2020 new feature in the making !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable! I recently updated my photoshop and have been completely frustrated with this. Why change something that's been the same for decades?? It's really slowing down my workflow. I'm sure as soon as I get used to this they will change it back. Also, with the crop tool why is the default containing the entire image and not a free crop? Make no sense at all. I shouldn't have to hold shift to do a simple crop. David is right about the muscle memory, I'm completely thrown off. Please put these back to normal. Free transform and all the subcategories as well as the crop tool. Oh and why does the zoom tool in camera raw keep changing and why would it be different than the zoom in photoshop? Get it together guys!! Don't change things just to change them...I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Craig... you are not crazy!  Adobe is crazy and stupid!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to listen to their customers, changing the scaling behavior and the Cmd+z was a big mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mounir: they did, the problem is that those "customers" they listened to are retired and have no deadlines or set workflows to follow. Nor do they pay their mortgages with jobs that use Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i see 20.0.3 update in my CC apps. did someone try it? couldn’t find any information about this update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated. . . but not tested everything yet.

February 2019 (version 20.0.3) release -  fixed issues:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no mention of the transform tool to be fixed. probably didn’t make it for this release. probably it never will:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are probably right. 

I'm starting to get used to the way the tool behaves. They say it takes between 21-66 days to break a habit. 

Maybe Adobe is hoping that the problem will go away and that we just go with the flow an deal with it. They still need to make the tool consistent across all their software and they need to address the Constrain Link on the toolbar which does nothing.

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This means every constrainable item in all Adobe software suite needs to be changed, else it will never make sense.

I'm sure someone will always create a workaround like the one I use now, so I'll always just set it and forget it. I refuse to break a habit of a convention that still applies in other software I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for now, I'll just stick to 2018, hoping that they'll fix it someday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sure that Adobe wants to hear that people are getting used to it but I will never use it until they give me the option to return to legacy behavior...not only for the free transform,but the click to commit and horrible new text behavior as well. I will stick to the 2018 version as long as possible and when it no longer works I will use non-Adobe alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here Lonny!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Maybe Adobe is hoping that the problem will go away and that we just go with the flow an deal with it. >

OTOH, playing the optimist, maybe they're redesigning the whole thing, from preferences to Options bar, which is more than a "bug" fix. I'm not exactly getting used to choosing the right modifiers since I move between too many apps on both desktop and mobile, but I am starting to get used to checking myself while I'm transforming to see if I'm distorting, not distorting, depending. <G>

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with all of you on this. Dont stop here though. Take to Twitter with your comments as well. The debate on there is fierce. Hopefully Adobe will hear us and at least make it an option in Preferences at the least.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=photoshopshiftkey&src=typd&...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do hope you're right Cristen  🙂 
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do yourselves a favour and reverse the behaviour with a text file in the PS settings folder (takes 1min, honestly) - the first response here explains how... 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/constrained-resize-ps-cc-20?topic-reply-list[...

But (and it's a big but) it's still unbelievable this 'feature' made it through in the state it did, and that it's STILL NOT RESOLVED! 

The feature is named 'Free Transform' for God's sake. That makes it an unacceptable decision in itself, let alone the implications for other PS tools, as well as multiple tools in multiple apps across CC.

What the heck is going on over there - seriously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally find the “fix” to only solve one third if the problem with the update.... and I don’t find that there is enough of a benefit to use the new version otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing that bothers me is the 'auto commit', if I attempt to drag a guide too far away from the actual transformation, but that has not been a dealbreaker. I've learned to drag the image close enough to the rulers to prevent that. Also, I am trying to stay near the handles to not commit.

I tend to want to update each time because 1) I am not paying for the updates 2) I don't like to get too far behind current software versions, because being behind after 4 or 5 updates can also bring in some unexpected nuances once you do upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, that auto-commit nonsense is mind-numbing several times a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The feature is named 'Free Transform' for God's sake. >

Everyone keeps saying that. I'm becoming afraid they'll rename the tool. ROFL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha I can imagine

Upgrade Notes 20.0.4:
Fixed Menu Item "Free Transform" to "Transform"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually fine with the change in principle, so long as it's done professionally.

i.e.

Recognise shift to constrain as fundamental to design UI which goes back to the dawn of design on a computer. i.e. this is going to be a huge change.

Identify where shift to constrain appears in every app across CC, 100s of places right?

Make the change (an enormous amount of work) and test.

Properly announce that CC 2019 will fundamentally change the way shift to constrain works (i.e. PR, blogs, ads etc)

Slipping this change through on one tool, in one app, with a one-line note in a corner of the internet is unprofessional, low-quality, embarrassing, jaw-dropping and just plain sloppy work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very true. Or, they could have quietly and simply slipped in a preference for those who wanted that backwards behavior and all are happy.

It's very bizarre.
The onus should be on the users who want to change 2 decades of convention, to click a box in pref. The ones who did not want that change could not have to lift one finger, pun intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, just untick the constrain tickbox by default and tell people. What a bloody awful balls-up!

Votes

Translate

Translate