• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
Contributor ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree that this whole situation is ridiculous. Adobe need to add a toggle switch to revert to 'normal' behaviour urgently. Muscle memory cannot be retrained selectively. Shift to constrain is a VERY common convention

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't forget to click Me Too button, or your opinion won't be taken into account.
I think they check number of voices in first instance before read our comments 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LMAO... do you really think they even care our comments ?
By now they are numb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They probably laughing their azzes off knowing no change is coming after they invested all that time in a failure they will convince themselves it was the right thing to do and press on with deaf ears..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I'd like to believe but seeing there is 12 pages long theard that took 2 years users begged to bring back old crop method it is more likely Santa Claus is going to do that this year for us.

I didn't read that but it seems that crop started with CS6 was left for next CC releases:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_6_crop_tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expect this not to change. I suspect Adobe has the same mindset as apple, people doesn't know what they want more than us. 

I think the whole reasoning Adobe has for doing this, is that they want Photoshop to be more user friendly for that tiny userbase that doesn't use a keyboard (i.e tablet only) - which they expect to grow, and probably scale will work this way on the iPad version of Photoshop. 

I could live with this change IF it was consistent throughout the entire program. It's the poor implementation that makes it a horrible change. 

Also, another thing that doesn't make sense to me AT ALL. At Adobe Max 2018 they bragged about this feature and the multiple undos. And the argument for making multiple undo's was to unify all the Adobe programs more, making undo's the same across every program (thank god they at least made an option to turn off this, I like my ctrl-shift-z for multiple undos). But then they do the COMPLETE OPPOSITE with the the uniform scaling and make sure its NOT unified across the whole program suite...So what is it ? Unifying the programs, or UNunifying? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The guy who decided that had to be a drunk clown or simply contracted agreement with Apple to make Photoshop working this way. win-win solution for both, but most commited users have now to suffer and can speak openly only to each other as none of prominent persons appears to read about their frustration.

Adobe Max 2018 had to become unhealthy preoccupation of something that in practise was a fail. But that is no matter - people bought it after all. You are right about unifrom scaling that has to be same for all produtcs but some odd way it's inconsistent with scope of just one 😕 Regarding undos, what about ExtendScript ToolKit? I don't like the new way of how that works but they don't plan to make new version of ESTK so we have to still use that by both ways?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more Adobe Garbage Keep on abusing your Customers.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you are correct.  I uninstalled PS CC 2019 and just use 2018 to get my work out.  I hate jumping through Adobe's hoops every time some "genius" at Adobe has a digital orgasm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And please also talk with teams across other CC apps so we get consistency. 

e.g. SHIFT to constrain is such a fundamental change to the way ALL graphics apps work, and changing it requires you to make it CC-wide, announce it properly, and provide a one-click fallback.

Making a fundamental change like this, and the way it's been done, is arrogant. Arrogance breaks commercial trust and we already have more than enough arrogance to deal with in the form of Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at how many years Eastman Kodak maintained industry dominance and an arrogant, holier than thou attitude before the failed!
Sounds like Adobe doesn't it?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not company - customer relation anymore by any means, but more like:

Angry and Arrogant Antique Absolute Autocrats against Amorphous Ants 😕

Something like Ancient Grecian Gods versus weak humans with their fate!

We need our Prometheus, and maybe not new Ps, but new Pr application!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When resizing any kind of layer, the proportions are locked. When I click the lock icon to unlock it it doesn't work. It remains locked. I'm unable to resize layers freely. I've been using Photoshop for over 10 years and never had this issue before. It's been happening since the last update. I'm using Windows and I have the same issue on 2 different computers.

By the way, when creating vector shapes and changing the feather, Photoshop sometimes crashes. This one has been going on for years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous. What are you doing Adobe? So now in some programs I hold shift, like I've done for 10 years, but in Photoshop it's no longer the default behavior? How does inconsistency between keyboard commands from one application to another equal an improvement. Shift to constrain should be the default. Was someone actually complaining about this? So now I have to train my hand and mind to hold shift in other applications but not Photoshop? Please give us an option to revert to legacy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title says it all. Is Photoshop a tool for professionals or for the average Joe who wants to crop a holiday picture? Please pick a side because these kind of decisions piss me off.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm tired of the inconstancies as well. Where possible, every app in the suite should work the same way: transformations, managing links, creating/managing colours, creating/editing text, creating/managing layers, the list goes on. This was the promise of the original CS Suite (it was one of the key selling points) and while some things have improved, there are many jaw-dropping omissions. 
Either nobody at Adobe uses multiple apps on a daily basis, or people tasked with managing consistency across the apps have no real power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they're just avoiding the confrontation. <G> Should it be Cmd-D for deselect, or Cmd-Shift-A? Who gets to be top dog?

I say who cares who wins the shortcut argument— IF they'd just make sure that we had more options for creating keyboard shortcuts, AND they made sure darn virtually everything in each and every app was wired for custom kbsc. (Have you even seen how extremely limiting Illustrator is for creating kbsc? The rest don't earn any prizes, either, although AE and PP have gone a lot further towards making it easier to assign kbsc.) I'm including the holdouts like LR, Bridge, and CR—their kbsc are from another planet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, the "scale" tool is broken on the new version of PS. The height and width scale together, even when the link icon is unchecked. Please fix! : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably best to read the entire thread. There are solutions posted that work, or stick with CC2018. Not much really changed and certainly no "must have" new features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, another disappointing response from Adobe. IMHO you are absolute morons for changing something that been one way for EVER. Clearly you don't have any understanding of how your users work and need to work. We've got work to do and we expect our tools to continue working the way they always have — or you better have one hell of a good reason for changing something. And that's one of the problems with Adobe: you make changes but why are you making the changes? What is the compelling reason? I hope you finally do something so stupid that it causes a huge financial impact to the company because you need a darn good whopping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s very tempting to get by on an old paid for in full version and cancel my subscription. I already shut down the 2019 version and went back to 2018. The problem is, if Adobe refuses to give us back our old options we are stuck with this crap from here on out, and I for one am not going to upgrade just because there is no other choice for newer versions. It’s not just new tool behavior for me though. I found far too many bugs in the 2019 version and it’s just not worth the headache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And would it be possible to stop advertising new features and displaying new file windows we've previously turned off? This is professional suite of applications used to create advertising, it's not an advertising opportunity - see attached.
Also, the uninvited Apple-style upgrade dialogue is 'pulling-teeth' painful in OSX/iOS, don't make it the new norm.

Votes

Translate

Translate