• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transformation undo when transforming doesn't work

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When transforming an object for example to see how much transformation is needed compared to the sketch from the client. I need to move the transformation object to the side and then undo too see the difference in scale. When pressing apple-z twice the transformation is set to where I started the process and I need to start over. This has never been the case in earlier versions of Photoshop.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020
If you leave legacy off, undo is actually remembering more than one state inside of transform using Cmd Z to undo each step and Cmd Shift Z to redo each step - which is a lot more powerful than what was possible in prior versions of Photoshop. I see how Legacy isn't working correctly in the modal transform state - I've asked engineering to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate
14 Comments
Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that in previous versions of Photoshop, there wasn't an undo to an adjustment while using the Free Transform tool. Can't recall it ever being a frustration in the past but over the last month I've had several instances where I was using Free Transform, I had the cursor hovering over the corner handle, could see the correct cursor icon and then when I went to scale I got a skew (or possibly distort) result, since CMD Z doesn't do anything, the only action was to cancel out completely or apply the changes and then CMD Z. And since I was using Free Transform and stringing several adjustments at once it was something that stood out to me as a new issue. Now the issue of Free Transform being buggy MAY have been fixed because as I'm typing this I can't get the issue to replicate but still got me thinking that having history/save states during Free Transform could be a useful feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could use that, too. With or without FT being a bit buggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think you're asking for undo/redo behavior instead of multi-undo?

edit>keyboard shortcuts>legacy undo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Eartho correct?  Is that the behavior you're having an issue with?  It has been there for several releases now...

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is correct. The way it worked earlier was undo/redo. Is it possible to get it to work that way again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I already have that box checked but in 2020 it doesnt work inside free transform. The undo works but not redo. What happens is that it returns to the way it was before transforming instead of doing redo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it doesnt work inside free transform in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you leave legacy off, undo is actually remembering more than one state inside of transform using Cmd Z to undo each step and Cmd Shift Z to redo each step - which is a lot more powerful than what was possible in prior versions of Photoshop. I see how Legacy isn't working correctly in the modal transform state - I've asked engineering to take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have discovered that. I am trying to learn to work with the multi undo : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some time ago the behaviour of the transform tool and undo changed to work opposite ways of how it used to be. I changed both of these back to legacy behaviour, which works great, but inside the transform tool itself the undo is acting in a third way, which unable redos, either way I tick my boxes in the settings. 

Before the changes you could tap cmd + shift + z to go back and forth between your last change, and figure out if it was the right move you did. Now it's not possible to redo anything inside transform. No combination of shift, alt or cmd key will make a redo, which is extremely irritating. Anyone know how to revert this behaviour to full functionality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts... and check "Use Legacy Undo Shortcuts"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. The problem is that I want legacy undo in photoshop in general, but still be able to re-do changes inside transform tool. When I tick the legacy undo setting, it's impossible to re-do's inside transform tool. Sorry if my question wasn't clear: 

Is it possible to use legacy undo in photoshop but still preform re-do inside transform? There was a long period of time where photoshop had re-do inside transform, but still legacy undo in the rest of the program, and I want to revert to this behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got you. Looks like an issue. I will merge this thread. Please add your like/me too to the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As per title the 'Step Backward' shortcut hasn't been working for many versions during "Free Transform" with Legacy Undo preferences 

Votes

Translate

Translate