• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Undo / History is not functioning as it should (Photoshop v24.1)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command+Z is acting erratic and is not reverting to the prior state. I've experienced it undoing several recent changes but also jumping to random layers. Is there a bug? Can you please advise?

Running 24.1 on Mac (Ventura)

Thank you,

Jason

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

V24.1.1 released today shows a fix for the undo history issue

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Engineering is working on a fix. In the meantime, if you need to roll back to the prior version, here are instructions: If you need to rollback an update, here are instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Hi all, the team has a solution for this bug. Keep an eye out for this fix in an upcomming release.

Thank you all,

Cory

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
109 Comments
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@--rick wrote:

I have not updated PhotoShop since 2017 so I was shocked to see the “command Z” undo has been changed to multiple undos going back 5, 10 or more steps.

It is a bug that Undo is jumping back multiple steps, but it was fixed in 24.1.1. Can you tell us (exactly) what version you have? (Help > About)

Here is the primary thread for the bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-undo-history-is-not-functioning-as-it-shou...

Before engineering fixed the bug, the interim workaround was to roll back to an earlier version.

The "legacy shortcuts" means that Cmd+Z toggles between undo/redo instead of giving us multiple undos. I don't know if that is a workaround, but the bug has been fixed.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the real question is... why are we constantly updating photoshop to work worse? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the real question is... why are we constantly updating photoshop to work worse? 

The question only you can answer. For many of us, it's for new features and fixes, and updating does work better. But you do know you can disable updates, right? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so tired with the unending stream of updates and often wonder the same question. I blame it all on subscription pricing. Adobe feels they must keep pushing updates to justify the monthly fee. It does not matter to them if the changes are of any value/benefit. If they returned to one time purchase, they would be forced to make the update compelling enough for people to WANT to purchase it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, you don't have to update if you don't want to. 

You don't have to continue to subscribe. Perhaps this is a better fit for you:

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements/buy-elements.html?utm_campaign=cv-nwmp-ae2023&utm_...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements isn't the same, and you know it. Why do people continuously go to bat to defend a company that constantly objectively puts out unstable updates? Telling people to turn off updates (which defeats the purpose of paying for a subscription) or to downgrade to a lesser program is rididculous. And the fact that we have to come into a forum for help and get told to just reset our preferences or roll back yet again is infuriating especially when this is our livelihood. We can't just simply jump to another set of programs because Adobe has such a strangehold on the industry. Using a "if you don't like it, you can leave" mentality when it's the company's fault for routinely pushing unstable software and people are seeking help doesn't help anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becasue you are being an ass to be honest. I am pretty sure the goal is not to push unstable product but rather listen to the users and try to improve it. I was part of the PS Beta testers for years and with a program this complex, there is only so much that can be found before release. Expecting it to be perfect without any bug I am sure is the goal but its just not realistic so the next best thing is having a support group like this where suggestions, fixes and worarounds are offered almost immediately. Considering this is what I do for a living, I will take it vs the disaster that Quark Express and Painter were back in the late 90s with a too bad so sad mentality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements isn't the same, and you know it.

Where did I say it was the same? Perhaps this is a better fit for you. If not, then you have a few options:

Stick with the PS subscription; update, don't update, roll back to older versions. 

Turning off updates for a period of time doesn't defeat the purpose of subscriptions! The software still runs; you can still use it. 

Your call. 

I'm not here to make decisions for you. I'm a volunteer here to provide support and options. 

Some Adobe customers hate two things: Change and the way things are. 🤔

The bug reported last year was fixed. If you have other issues, or your version isn't working as it should with History, start a NEW bug report with all the necessary information:

Photoshop:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

Lightroom:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey everyone, let's remember to not make things personal here and keep your posts on topic.

For reference - 6. User Conduct:

https://www.adobe.com/legal/terms.html

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate