• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Undoing the first paint action in a Mask selects the Art Layer.

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add a layer mask to a layer and start painting in it to hide/reveal pixels, if you undo the first brush stroke, the Art Layer becomes selected (unselecting the layer mask), therefore, when you start painting again, you're painting on the Art Layer, not the Layer's Mask. Happening in Photoshop 20.0.0 on Mac OS 10.13.6

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019
This should now be fixed in the Photoshop 20.0.3 release.
Feel free to update Photoshop and let us know if this is resolved for you.

To update Photoshop CC to 20.0.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop CC.
More detailed instructions for updating

Thank you for the report Dylan!
Regards,
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
Mentor ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they had fixed this bad behavior in a previous release and then the new undo has brought it back. There's a pref in keyboard shortcuts to change back to legacy undo... see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohh wow, thanks, that helps!

But, I must admit, the new undo feature was the only frustrating change Adobe made that I really supported. I'm all for frustration when it's about synchronising behaviour across their software suite, but when it comes to changing behaviour for no reason, like what they did with transform tools, that kills me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earth, Dylan, I'm not able to reproduce this. Could you provide steps or video of your steps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff, i made a post on the other forums called 'Multi-Undo bad behavior is back,' which has a few screencaps illustrating the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey see my post https://forums.adobe.com/message/10730632 the behaviour is back i have included a video.  Only way to fix is by changing back to legacy undo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael & Earth! I'll have engineering investigate this. Workaround, as you noted in the other thread, is to enable legacy undo under Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with CC version 20.0.1 (the most recent version) & for the last couple of months I've been experiencing an annoying problem where if I hit Command-Z after painting on a mask, it will cause my curser to jump to the corresponding pixel layer.  Therefore once I start painting again, I am painting a color onto the pixel layer instead of the mask.  Also, it sometimes causes my foreground/background paint (black or white) to switch, so when I go back to the layer mask to start painting it will paint the opposite of what I intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should now be fixed in the Photoshop 20.0.3 release.
Feel free to update Photoshop and let us know if this is resolved for you.

To update Photoshop CC to 20.0.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop CC.
More detailed instructions for updating

Thank you for the report Dylan!
Regards,
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Stunning thank you! It didn't work initially, but after dumping the preferences it is working a treat. Perfect! 

Votes

Translate

Translate