• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Use brush as an eraser (german)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The function to use the chosen brush as an eraser doesn't work in the german Version, even though it is mentioned in the official list of shortcuts.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Great NEWS!  With the latest release, 24.4, we have exposed this feature to apply a custom KBSC so you can use it with a non-English keyboard/OS. 

Erase-KBSC.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

This has NOT been fixed or addressed.  It has been logged as a bug and a larger feature to better support keyboard shortcuts for international keyboards.  This particular keyboard shortcut is not exposed in the Customize Keyboard Shortcuts dialog so it can't be re-assigned unfortunately.  I will keep pushing on this.  Thanks for your patience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
39 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo!
Okay, this appears to be a problem in English too.  I've gone ahead and logged a bug. 

Thanks for letting us know,David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sacha,

My mistake.  This functionality was added for 21.0 and does appear to be working in English and German on both platforms.  You need to make sure you're not working on the background layer, as erasing there leads to non-transparent results.
Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello David, please log a bug again, I am working with 21.1.2, German Version. This functionality won't work with the Gravis - Key (`), tested it again on another Layer with different Brushes.

Thanks
Sascha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sascha,
That's very strange, because I tried it this morning.  Are you on Windows or Mac?  Which OS version?  You're using a German keyboard layout as well as a physical German keyboard?  And the ` that you're pressing is below ESC and to the left of the number 1?

Would you be available for a web-hosted screenshare?  There's something more here, I think.
Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey David, 

I'm working on Windows 10, V.1909.

The Keyboard is German Layout, German physical device. 

I've tried both, the key below esc, left of the number 1 (on german Layout, this is not the gravis, it is the Accent circonflexe (^)) and the Accent Grave (on german Layout on the left of the backspace, together with shift. (`)

I'm available for a screenshare, just need to make out the Time.

Thanks
Sascha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, try to use the ">" key on your German keyboard. I think it should be working. Maybe the documentation needs an update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It jumps to erase, but dont hold the used brush this way. It uses a round soft brush then, unfortunatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, then it is a bug or not full supported with every brush. I just did a test with the standard brush and not a custom one. maybe some Adobe Member can answer the tool function better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortcut is actually a new one, added recently in 21.0, that's why I wasn't familiar with it.
Thanks to the current situation, I don't have a physical machine or keyboard I can connect with.  At least on Windows.  Using VPN, however, I don't see a problem when I set my keyboard to German.  Similarly, I'm not seeing a problem on my Macbook Pro set to German either.  I've logged a bug to have this investigated and it appears to be an issue in Czech as well.  Strange.

The new functionality is SUPPOSED TO allow users to erase with the same brush they were painting with.
Thanks for letting us know and hopefully we'll get this resolved soon.  Meanwhile, if this is happening in your language too, please add a comment so I can have those languages checked as well (all my equipment is locked down).
Thanks,David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there an update to the logged bug so far? Is it possible to review the status of the logged bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am following many tutorials regarding the latest version of Photoshop 2020. In this version there is the possibility of using the brush and erasing alternately with the tilde key. However, Tilde does not exist on the Italian keyboard, nor does that of the grave accent that you have indicated as an alternative exist. I therefore ask technical support to indicate a valid key for the Italian keyboard or to find an appropriate solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it would appear that this is an issue in Italian too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue with Scandinavian keyboard too! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will help but it does for me on Windows 10 you need to use "US keyboard" in your preferred language not "United States-International" keyboard I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dmohr I believe there might be a possible shortcut conflict, as < > are used to switch to the first and last brushes, if I'm not mistaken, while the german documentation lists the English placement of those keys (shift+, and shift+.), and on the german keyboard, this key combo is wrong. There are many problems like that in the french doc for KBSCs.

Can a german user tell me what are the keys they really have to use to select the first and last brush?

Keyboard mapping issues like these abound for localized users, and most of the times, the desired function is not even listed in the kbsc editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to check on my mac, on a French Ps, MacOS and AZERTY keyboard, but I believe there's also a similar issue that the listed KBSC does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say, even if this would work, it can't be the answer to use the "wrong" keybordlayout to become capeable of an officialy documented KBSC....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution yet?

How do you use the erease feature on non-US-Systems?

(By the way, programming it to be ~ for american keyboards only without any flexibility in key binding seems a total lack of basic programming skills in the first place to me...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dmohr 

Is there anybody at Adobe who _does_ have access to a non-US-system?

Is there anybody at Adobe who _is_ familiar with new features?

Is there anybody at Adobe who is familiar with quality control?

Is there anybody at Adobe who cares about the future of PS like I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So "Unfortunately, it would appear that this is an issue in Italian too." is the only hellp/answer to this programming desaster by an official Adobe Rep?

- After months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found partial solution, at least for Scandinavian keyboard. 

It is possible to use different input language for different programs in Windows. So I just use UK keyboard with Photoshop. I rarely type anything in PS and most of the keys are in same place in UK and Scandinavian keyboards. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-a-keyboard-input-language-for-a/1f5...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems it doesn't work on a french keyboard neither. But I have a mac keyboard on a Windows machine, so it is even more complicated because the shortcut should be "~" and it is not a key...

Anyway, there is a workaround, because there is a shortcut to change the "blend" mode of the brush which is "SHIFT" + "+" or "SHIFT" + "-" 
On top of that, there is a shortcut for each of the blend mode, and for "clear" mode, it is "ALT"+"SHIFT"+"R".
For the "normal" mode, it is "ALT"+"SHIFT"+"N".
Hope this works for you, even if I guess you've found a workaround since these ancient times

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was resolved in Ps 22.5.

Thank you,

Cory

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert what does it mean for the german qwertz keyboard (and other non-US layouts)?

I'd like to use the discussed shortcut to temporarily toggle the current brush to its erase mode while holding that key, like what the tilde (~) does on the american keyboard in Photoshop.

Using an Apple keyboard on macOS I tried many keys and combos, but none of them seems to have the desired effect. In the shortcut preferences, I couldn't find any entry corresponding to that toggle neither.

Could you give me any hint on how to use it?

That shortcut would be really useful. I'd preferably use it with the key below the ESC key (a ^ on German keyboard).

screenst.png

Votes

Translate

Translate