• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: v23 crashes on the new Intel 12th gen CPU PC.

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fore refreence I upgraded my i7 6700K CPU to a new i7 12700KF which came out this month. Photoshop 2022 has been working perfect on the old CPU and only recently I got round to using Photoshop only to find it will not load images due to a crash bug on the new CPU system.

I can replicate this bug  so it is definitely a bug in the 2022 version of PS currently on the Creative Cloud. I can uninstall and reinstall and still get the same issue. This bug does not exist on Photoshop 2021 having done some testing with that too.

If I launch Photoshop 2022 and open any image, the app crashes with no error. Just closes itself.

If I go to Task Manager in Windows with Photoshop open and then manually assign affinity to only the P-Cores of the 12700K then I can load any image and work on them no problems at all. This confirms to me that Photoshop 2022 has an issue where it crashes when Intel thread Director and WIndows 11 assign Photoshop threads to the CPU and as some will be rsiding in the E-Cores, it seems to fall over there.

I am continuing to use Photoshop 2021 for now until this bug can be patched in 2022!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Please update Photoshop 23.0.2 version to resolve this problem and refer @Adam Jerugim response.  

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

v23.0.2 was just posted for download and contains a fix for this issue. If you're still seeing issues after updating, please let me know.

Also a reminder to remove the PSUserConfig.txt file you were using as a workaround.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
88 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adam JerugimI spoke too soon! Just been doing some work and went to edit an image, all good but Photoshop 23.0.1 crashed when going to save the image. In this case it was a jpeg photo and all I did was save changes. This can be replicated.

So looks like whilst the crash on load of an image is fixed, there's now a crash on saving changes to an image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce the crash on save, even with the PSUserConfig setting enabled. We're looking into it. Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Have to say this type of direct feedback and support has been excellent from Adobe, credit where due 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it out as well and was able to perform 3-4 actions before a crash.  A definite improvement but still not usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the following line to the existing PSUserConfig.txt file:

EnableDocumentGroup 0

Then re-launch the application. Does that help mitigate the crashes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With this line in the PSUserConfig.txt it doesn't crash anymore when saving pictures. I will try further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Adam JerugimJust tried that, opened some images, edited, saved, reopened edited and saved again, no crash. Will do more advanced stuff this evening and report back but that looks to have fixed the crash on save issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added this to my txt file:

UXPLearnAndSearch 0
EnableDocumentGroup 0

I don't notice an improvement from just having "UXPLearnAndSearch 0" in the text file.  I can perform a few actions but it crashes to desktop without a crash report option.

Changing tools will almost always crash it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jeeheon_cho  Do you mean in a new update or via the above workaround? The workaround for me so far has no further issues but still monitoring 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not fixed for me with the new update or with the txt file fix.  The second crash allowed me to send an error report though.  First one crashed directly to desktop after changing tools.  Second crash happened immediately when I opened Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I tried the new version with and without the text file fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering what's the update for, after update it still stuck on version 23.0.1 and not fix the issue.

Only the txt file fix form @Mork Cubeman really works, Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue; Upgraded CPU/MB from 6600k to 12700k. Crashes to desktop 2 seconds after opening an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

This thread helped restore some of my sanity. I thought I was alone in this. 

I recently upgraded from 7700k to 12900k and I'm experiencing these exact crashes that you're discussing. However, the txt-file fix doesn't work fully for me. Setting cpu affinity to cores 0-3 doesn't work either. With the txt-file, I can open up an image and perform a couple of actions, but photoshop is still unusable due to crashing. Previous versions work flawlessly. 

The latest available update did nothing for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is strange indeed that the workaround works for some and not others, clearly another factor is at play with Photoshop for some folks. Do you have Photoshop installed via Creative Cloud or standalone etc? I'm on the Photography package for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got everything installed via Creative Cloud. I've got the all programs plan. 

Though following the instructions for the config file fix, I noticed that my Adobe file location is c/user/myname/appdata/roaming/adobe/adobe photoshop 2022/adobe photoshop 2022. The folder name I have doesn't include CC like the instructions do. I don't think it's relevant but maybe it is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see CC in the folder name too, only adobe photoshop 2021 and 2022, I think it is not relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming.

I also want to elaborate on my crashes. They only seem to happen when using the new tool for automatic, quick selection and neural filters. As soon as I try any of them it crashes. Otherwise the program works fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to use neural filters and PS 2022 crashed too on my 12700K, so yes it is unstable even use the txt fix.

I am wondering they maybe need to rebuild and fully test PS 2022 for new Intel 12th gen CPU with P&E Core feature. The thing they should do befre release the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hakokotoI just tried the neural filters too on mine and yes I can confirm that it does crash when you go to apply one of the effects. Just outright crashes to desktop with no crash submit dialogue or anything.

So yep I agree, needs to be addressed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

I cannot work on Photoshop since it keeps crashing everytime I try saving, sometimes when loading a file, I also get random crashes.

I tested Photoshop v22.0 and it works fine- no crashes on saving. Same with CS6.

Things I have tried:

- resteting settings

- reinstaling

-deselecting "use graphic processor" on settings->performance tab

-updating GPU drivers

My specs:

motherboard: Z690 Aorus Elite DDR4 (rev 1.0) with lastest BIOS

CPU: i7 12700k not OverClocked (everything sock)

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

GPU: RTX 3080 Asus TUF OC V2 LHR

Wacom Intuos Pro

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make it clear: v22.0 and CS6 produce NO crashes when saving a file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in to note that I've been crashing as well. At least one of the crash variants got submitted with my email address added to it.

There are two distinct crashes that I've seen so far:

1. Immediately upon opening any image.
  2. When saving as PSD.

I've been able to make a new image and save it as a PNG without crashing, but saving as PSD either crashes and leaves an empty PSD file or saves it and crashes.

System Specs

• CPU: 12900k
  • GPU: RTX 3090
  • RAM: DDR5

I tried setting affinity to the performance cores only and it doesn't seem to help, but I'm also not convinced it worked correctly when I did so.

I installed 22.5.3 and I am not crashing, but performance is much more sluggish than I'm used to coming from a 9900k.

Thanks for all of the help in troubleshooting this and working toward a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can confirm the error. Upgraded to i7 12700KF with matching motherboard and Photoshop 2022 23.0.1 basically crashes. No work possible. Super annoying and not understandable.

Votes

Translate

Translate