• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Vanishing Point Filter Issue

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to be having an issue with the Vanishing Point Filter in Photoshop CC 2019 on an iMac/Mojave system. When I resize an image to fit within the vanishing point mesh, everything is fine until I drag the image inside the mesh area. Then it's as though the image itself stays resized, but the canvas its on is still the original size. This is apparent because the grab handles for sizing the image are space way too far apart and extend beyond the actual image, making resizing within the vanishing point mesh almost impossible. Please see the following to reproduce the fault. Note, I did not have this issue in PS CC 2018, although at that time I was on High Sierra so I'm not sure which you need to look at to troubleshoot this one. It is also possible I'm doing something wrong or am missing a step. I'm following the directions in a PS tutorial for CC 2019 by Julieanne Kost on Lynda.com and it's virtually identical to the same course for CC 2018.

Steps to Test Vanishing Point Filter

1. Open photo with building (2 sides of building must be visible to viewer)

2. Open photo that is to be a mural which will be pasted onto the front and side of the building

3. Resize the “mural” so that it is much smaller than the area it is to be pasted into on the building (CMD+T or Resize Image)

4. Copy the “mural” to the clipboard

5. Bring up the building that is to have the “mural” pasted on to it

6. Make a new blank layer above the Background of the building the “mural” is to be pasted on

7. Select “Vanishing Point” from the Filter Menu

8. Draw out the mesh on one side of the building. Align edges (top, bottom and at least one side) of the mesh with a roofline or window line for reference. Make sure mesh is coloured blue so you know it’s a viable rectangle in PS

9. Hold CMD and grab the midpoint handle of the mesh at the corner of the building and stretch out along the other side of the building (i.e. if you dragged along the front of the building first, now drag along the side of the building). Align the edges of the extended mesh with reference points of the side of the building as you did in Step 8

10. Paste the “mural” on top of the building image BUT NOT INTO THE VANISHING POINT MESH. Resize (CMD+T) to make “mural” significantly smaller than what will be required to fit into the mesh area (smaller than you think it needs to be - for test purposes you want to leave a LOT of room around the edges of the mesh area that the “mural” is fitting into)

11. Ideally, you now should see the 6 grab points around the “mural” image. Drag the “mural” into the mesh area

12. This is where I run into the issue. As soon as the “mural” clicks into the mesh area, you should still be able to see all 6 handles around the “mural”. In PS 2018, this was the case. You want to be able to stretch out the mural using the combination of the 6 grab handles to fill the mesh region completely. HOWEVER, in my case in PS 2019, as soon as I drag the small “mural” into the mesh region, the mural behaves properly BUT the grab handles appear as though they did not shrink with the image itself. Depending on where I position the mural image within the mesh region, I can only see 1 to 3 grab handles (often the top right corner and maybe the midpoint grab handles along the X and Y axes). If I pull the mural far enough out of the viewpoint of the mesh region the other grab handles will come into view. In other words, it appears as though the mural image resizes but the canvas size for the mural does not. I’m 99% certain I had no trouble with this in PS 2018, but in 2019 I get this every time.

Am I missing a step or is this a new bug?

I have a reference photo you can see at here

Thanks much for looking.

Glenn

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019
This should now be fixed in the Photoshop 20.0.3 release.
Feel free to update Photoshop and let us know if this is resolved for you.

To update Photoshop CC to 20.0.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop CC.
More detailed instructions for updating

Thank you for the thorough report Glenn!
Regards,
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm able to reproduce thanks to your very explicit steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey. I really wasn't certain if it was something I was not doing right, or an actual bug. Appreciate you chiming in and I'll leave it to you folks to see what you can find with it. Have a good one 🙂 

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,
I've updated PS today to v20.0.2 and many things are fixed (great!). However, I tried this process (see my post above) this evening and it is still the same. Even after resizing the object to be pasted into the vanishing point grid, the bounding boxes for the object being pasted remain at the full size of the object being pasted (the image resized but the bounding boxes didn't) once the image being pasted in is placed inside the grid. Is there any chance that something (i.e. there is a keyboard modifier that has to be employed) changed with V20? I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing at my end here. I am watching Julieanne Kost's lesson on how to do this on Lynda.com but basically she's using the same lesson from CC 2018, so that makes me think that the procedure hasn't changed. Anyway, just thought I'd ask about this as it is something I do use often enough to enquire about it. 

Thanks Jeffrey.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. Unfortunately, this one is still being looked at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, no worries Jeffrey. I just wanted to make sure the problem wasn't at my end as in something I overlooked. Thanks much. 

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your patience. It's one of those issues that esoteric enough that it takes a bit of time to get to. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that one I understand. That's one of those features that's so advanced I have no idea how they even conceived of it, never mind made it work. They'll get it in time, so as I say, this one I do understand can be far more of a head scratcher :). 

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn,

Is that a new Macbook Pro or iMac you using with retina screen?

Cheers 🙂
Abhishek

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abhishek,

It’s an iMac 27” 5k Retina that I have, but I think I tried it on my MacBook Air as well with the same results. I’ll have to confirm that Saturday though as I’ll be in the field all day Friday.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should now be fixed in the Photoshop 20.0.3 release.
Feel free to update Photoshop and let us know if this is resolved for you.

To update Photoshop CC to 20.0.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop CC.
More detailed instructions for updating

Thank you for the thorough report Glenn!
Regards,
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!! Thank you Pete! Nice job - it works perfectly now. Appreciate you guys working on this. 

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still a huge issue in the newest psd: it simply does not update when I drag the pasted graphic. handles outside the vp-mesh are not visible and I have to resize the window in order to get an update of its position. placing it where I want is near to impossible.

MacBook Pro 2018, 16GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Different; new issue

Please reference the new conversation here: Photoshop 2020: Vanishing Point not updating with pasted content

Votes

Translate

Translate