• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: View > Flip Horizontal is broken in newer versions of Photoshop

Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Flip Horizontal now flips not only your canvas, but the entire photoshop viewport, causing my canvas to jump a huge distance when I use it (unless my canvas is lined up perfectly in the middle of the screen, which it almost never is).

I was forced to spend my morning un-installing and re-installing older versions to try to find the working version I had been sitting on for a long time (22.4.3) which has the correct functionality for View > Flip Horizontal -- the canvas flips visually in place, without jumping across the screen.

Please, PLEASE fix it. I am paying for an expensive Photoshop subscription and I'd like to use new features, but I can't when necessary functionality is broken in new updates.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
11 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @brettn75576555 

I found an internal ticket where this was done intentionally because retrouchers complained in older versions, the content they were viewing would go out of view when zoomed in and retouching.

Current version behavior:  https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/199cfd46-8cfb-4575-49af-72b7fbcbbe15 Note the Captain America cup stays in the view when flipping

Older version behavior: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/e69c6785-7ca6-41fd-41a2-799b06d89d0a Note the Captain America cup goes away from the view when flipping

Let me know if you're seeing something differet. A video of what you're seeing might be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, thanks for the prompt reply Jeffrey. After thinking about it, I can understand why the change was made.  However, sometimes what's fixed for one person is broken for another.

I work as a digital artist and 99 percent of the time I have a reference board (using the app PureRef) covering a section of the top left side of my Photoshop window while I draw and paint on the right side (very common setup for artists, maybe less so for retouchers). That means that my working canvas is usually just to the right of center in my Photoshop window.

The result is that when I zoom out a little and flip the canvas, my canvas jumps to the other side of the screen, becoming partially or wholly obscured under my reference board. It's incredibly frusrating and unusable for me. 

As with other prolematic changes that prompted the inclusion of  "legacy Save As" and "legacy transform", I wish very much that there could be an option for "Legacy Flip Horizontal", but I suspect that's pretty unlikely. I guess maybe 22.4.3 might be the last version of Photoshop I use, which is extra frustrating because it contains a number of other problematic bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real ideal solution would be some kind of hybrid system where the canvas flips in place when the entire canvas is in view, but flips using the new method when at least part of the canvas is off-screen (which I like, but being able to flip the canvas while zoomed out is much more important to me.) But that's even more unlikely than a Legacy Flip Horizontal tick box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can post a screen recording of your process I can ask the engineers to take a look and see if they have any solutions/ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, I uploaded a video showing the issue. Thanks for taking the time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASm60ed7rQ8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Will share with the team. I won't expect to have an answer for a bit of time. The person I want to look at it is out on a sabbitical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -- any update on this issue? This one issue has prevented me (and other industry artists I know) from updating Photoshop beyond the 2021 version for years now. PLEASE consider implementing a "Legacy Flip View" option to make Flip View simply flip your image in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's VERY frustrating to pay for a montly subscription for a software that I can not update because of this workflow-breaking change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @brettn75576555 I am sorry, this issue shows as fixed in Ps 22.5, are you saying it is not for you?

Please confirm and we can have the team look into your situation to see why it is not fixed for you.

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -- sorry, I've been carrying on with an old version of Photoshop for the past 6 months and forgot to check this thread for an update, if I'm being honest.

No, the issue is not fixed in new versions of Photoshop. Flip Horizontal still causes the image to jump across to the other side of the Photoshop window, as I showed in this video that I posted in 2021: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASm60ed7rQ8

I understand that this change was mad for the sake of photo retouchers, who want to flip while zoomed in and working on a small part of the image. For entertainment industry folks like me, however, who want to flip their image while zoomed out to check how the whole thing looks when flipped, this is completely unworkable. 

I would KILL for a "legacy flip horizontal" option in the menu that allows me to flip the view while keeping my canvas in exactly the place it was when I flipped it, inside the Photoshop window. I would be eternally grateful if this could be run by someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For now, my only option is to carry on using a wildly outdated and buggy version of Photoshop, because being able to frequently flip my whole image and get a quick "read" of it frontwards an back, is a crucial part of my workflow. That simply doesn't work when the image jumps under my reference board every time I flip, unless I carefully line it up in the middle of my screen (as I showed in the YouTube video I posted.)

Beyond frustrating. PLEASE consider a "legacy flip horizontal" option. I know other artists at the game studio I work at have the same problem, as do many of my industry friends.

Votes

Translate

Translate