• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Weird Vertical Lines when using Smart Sharpen and "Use Graphic Processor" Turned on Monterey

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacksonl41895023_0-1635943480408.png

Getting random weird vertical lines on Apple m1 pro with Photoshop 23.0 and 22.5.2

Goes away when "Use Graphic Processor" or "open CL" turned off, but operation becomes extremely slow.

Can anyone Please help?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the April 2022 release of Photoshop 23.3. This update includes the fix for this issue.

To update Photoshop to 23.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 119 Replies 119
119 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Me too. Would have thought this would have been resolved by now.  Wish I had waited to upgrade my macbook pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new update same problem. M1 MAX vertical lines when applying smart shar filter and tonal shifting when creating layer with all adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like no body care about us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

85D1EAB8-417A-4A29-A8EA-BB60E6496B08.jpeg

 I think that vertical lines through the image is a bit too bold statement for me and my clients. Could someone from adobe please update us on the status of this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vertical lines still appear when smart sharpen is used. Not ideal for my workflow but I've just been sharpening in the camera raw filter. 

-Kevin Todora

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How has this problem not been resolved yet?? Not being able to use my normal actions for editing gifs for over one month now has been super frustrating! Why is no one from adobe giving feedback or any kind of an update this is such a devastating bug to have in photoshop!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 months have passed since Adobe confirmed, that they are investigating the issue. I think customers deserve an update on the progress made regarding this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so? did you find solution? I’ve just upgraded PS and this terrible issue is still there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve just updated PS. this bloody bug is still there!! this is mental!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update to Photoshop. v23.1.1

- App still broken, no changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why hasn't this been fixed yet? People have jobs to do and waiting months for an essential filter to be patched is way too long to wait. We depend on the software to operate without major issues and a bug like this can result in job loss. Imagine if you were running this filter in an action and the output wasn't properly QC'd and the images were published. In the real world, this could cost you your job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Smart Sharpen filter, vertical lines appear in my image. Why is this happening and how do I stop it from happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, that’s easy! only thing you have to do is just forget about it.
and also trying to ignore the fact you pay Adobe a lot of money for not finished applications full of bugs they sell!!!

this is really terrible! this is happening since october (last version of PS and MAC OS) and nobody from adobe (because it is their fault not Apple’s) gives a *hit... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they think that ignoring it - or even making a statment- makes it go away. This issue will just escalate. Dosn't everybody... like EVERYBODY use Smart sharpen on every damn image? This is so disrespectful and they can't even bother to give us an answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try in 32 bits and merge, next return to 16 bits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever applying Smart Sharpen on any picture (regular layer or Smart Object), if Radius is set to a value above 0, whatever the Gain, thin vertical lines that are equidistant are imbedded in the image as displayed on the monitor, printed, or exported to whatever format and displayed from outside of Photoshop. See attached example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zgfh2g0ak14ku0/_DSC2560.jpg?dl=0 

The work around is to uncheck the GPU utilization in the Performance tab of Photoshop Preferences.

Along with the Adobe Support Tech, we tried the following:

• Resetting all options to their default values
  • Launching Photoshop in the “Intel Mode”
  • Reverting to a previous version of Photoshop (23.0.0)
  • Changing color mode (from RGB to CMYK)
  • Despite all the above attempts, the problem persisted.
  •  

Lightroom Classic and ACR sharpening behave normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another (kind of) workaround: In the Smart Sharpen dialogue : Click on the gear icon at the top right and check: Use Legacy

Not ideal as it reverts to the old version of Smart Sharpen but at least does not produce the vertical lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Little late to the party. But I managed to fix the issue by selection "Gaussian Blur" in the Remove dialogScreenshot 2022-02-14 at 16.01.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't fix it, the lines re-appear depending on the settings of the sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genutzt: Photoshop 23.2.0

M1 Mac Mini 8GB

Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1

Bei Anwendung des selektiven Scharfzeichners wird das Bild durch Streifen zerstört.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wedding photog,

I don't usually use this function, but this time client hand picked two images with slight motion blur (images could be considered junk depending where you stand on the blur but it's besides the issue at this point)

went ahead in the photoshop and decided to use the smart sharpen.

I noticed with the smart sharpen filter dialog open, and preview checked, there were multiple, evenly distributed weird 1pixel line running across vertically. ( and I could also see the lines in the preview inside the smart sharpen filter dialog)

thought nothing of it and commited, then I noticed the lines were commited as well.

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 3.25.07 PM.png

The lines didn't appear when I turned off the graphics support or turned off openCL. Although, they take a bit longer time without the graphics acceleration or openCL, of course. I don't see the progress bar withe openCL checked. the screenshot was taken while applying the filter with shortcut.Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 3.26.53 PM.png

everything checked with compatibility check, of course.Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 3.27.43 PM.png

here's where I run my LRc and PS

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 3.27.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-18 at 3.28.05 PM.png

-----------------------------------one more test before posting------------------------------------------

out of curiocity, I went ahead agian to tinker more with the filter and noticed the gear icon.

by ticking "use legacy" helped resolve the issue but there's a bit of difference in end result, especially with artifact suppression.

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 4.10.43 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-18 at 4.10.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

End of February and still no solution. Adobe needs to fix this as soon as possible. This drastically prolongs my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly four months have passed (and several app updates), and this is still an issue. Any word on when this bug will be fixed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah tried that. Its basically using the old "Sharpen" filter. Results not nearly as good as Smart Sharpen. Its a workaround but not a great one. I dont understand why this issue is taking Adobe over 4 months to fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah tried using "Legacy" setting. Its basically using the old "Sharpen" filter. Results not nearly as good as Smart Sharpen. Its a workaround but not a great one. I dont understand why this issue is taking Adobe over 4 months to fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate