• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Weird Vertical Lines when using Smart Sharpen and "Use Graphic Processor" Turned on Monterey

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacksonl41895023_0-1635943480408.png

Getting random weird vertical lines on Apple m1 pro with Photoshop 23.0 and 22.5.2

Goes away when "Use Graphic Processor" or "open CL" turned off, but operation becomes extremely slow.

Can anyone Please help?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the April 2022 release of Photoshop 23.3. This update includes the fix for this issue.

To update Photoshop to 23.3, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 119 Replies 119
119 Comments
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I received serveral customer complaints about the sharpening functions in Photoshop. Now, with my 16" M1 MacBook Pro (M1), I have the same problem.

Take a photo and sharpen it via SMART SHARPEN. In the sharpened photo, you now have multiple vertical lines going across the entire picture where the pixels are destroyed. It only appears when you use SMART SHARPEN, not with the other sharpening tools.

This did not happen on my "old" Intel-based MacBook Pro.

I am using the latest Photoshop version and the latest Monterey release.

error.png

As sharpening is a key feature in Photoshop, this must be corrected soon, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SmartSharpen.jpg

Both images were "sharpened". The top image with SMART SHARPEN and the bottom image with UNSHARPEN MASK. The top image has a distorted line (vertically) through it.  This just started happening.  Any ideas?

UnsharpMask.jpg

MacOS Monterey 12.0.1.  PhotoShop 23.0.2

Both images were "sharpened". The top image with SMART SHARPEN and the bottom image with UNSHARPEN MASK. The top image has a distorted line (vertically) through it.  This just started happening.  Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 20.58.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here..........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an OS Monterey problem, not M1 problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue. MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max

PS 23.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried unchecking Use Open CL and restarting Photoshop, but then smart sharpen didn't work at all. This has been very frustrating to say the least.  Seems like you should have been able to fix this by now. I have MacBook Pro M1 chip and Monterey 12.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having "Use Open CL" checked takes less than one second to Smart Sharpen a 50mp image, but having it unchecked takes almost 37 seconds to sharpen, about 40 times longer....   I hope they can fix this soon !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its an Adobe problem non the less 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here - tons of what look like gridlines in the image (you can see them best where the sky meets the horizon): 

jonestyler22_1-1638999539724.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is this going to get fixed? We're having huge problems at a big scale. Could you please consider being more talkative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround is to click on the gear next to 'preview' and select 'Use Legacy' It's not the same sharpenening, it seems, but it does run fine with the GPU. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're running 800X,  5000x5000 a day. Good luck doing that with that solution. It's crazy slow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, running Monterey, Apple M1 Max.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After dealing with vertical lines appearing on my edited photos using Photoshop 2022 on my new MacBook Pro running O/S Monterey, now my iMac is saying it will update to Monterey tonight.  Is anyone aware whether Adobe has fixed the problems with Photoshop on Monterey?  I certainly don't want my iMac to have the same issues of adding thin vertical lines whenever I use the Sharpen tool.  Just contacted Apple and they don't seem to know anything about this issue.  I sure wish Adobe would give all of us a detailed update to at least let us know they are working on the issue, or better yet, advise us that it has been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not recommend you upgrade to Montery until the bug is fixed by Apple and Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed, at least for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still getting lines with Monterey 12.1 update from yesterday. My solution is to use Legacy sharpening to keep the speedier processing under OpenCL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed yet.  Maddening.  Am trying other sharpening filters, but Smart Sharpen was the best for that last pass before printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I just did the latest Monterey update (12.1) half an hour ago, and lines are still there.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, even with the recent PS update. (M1 Max Mac).

However, I also have a bit of a work-around. 

In the Smart Sharpen settings,  set reduce noise to 0% percent. and the lines don't appear.

Not ideal, but at least Smart Sharpen is still usuable until there's a proper fix (and better than turning of the Open CL settings in my opinion.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it my imagination or did this problem just disappear ?   I can't make the lines when Smart Sharpening....I could make them appear 20 minutes ago, but now they're gone ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a HUGE problem right now. The lines don't appear when "use legacy" isn't selected but legacy is needed for the work I'm doing. Not using the graphics processor is simply not an option. It's bad enough that editing in photoshop on a retina display is a struggle due to the improper scaling being an issue with clarity, but having to degrade the quality further for use of certain features is an absolute catastrophe that needs immediate resolve. Adobe, PLEASE fix this bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issu 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2022 and I'm still having this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate