• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: What happened to dragging from Illustrator to PS?

LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2015.1.1 - Why am I now unable to drag images from Illustrator directly into Photoshop as a smart object. I thought this would be resolved with yesterday's update but apparently not. 😞

I know I can add them to my library. I know I can copy and paste. Please don't ask me to do either of them.

I want to know when this will be fixed or if it's a permanent 'improvement' by Adobe. I have raised it in the Adobe forums but no luck yet.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016
This should be solved in the 2015.1.2 update released today: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate
11 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very annoyed with this as well. I just updated my PS and I am having the same problem....Very annoyed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2016 Jan 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I go back and forth from illustrator to photoshop alot. Today when I was trying to drag an object from illustrator into Photoshop, the object would not transfer. The panel highlighted, and the cursor changed to a + sign, like always, but nothing appeared. I did everything the exact same as I have 1000's of times before, but I can't get it to work. I CAN copy and paste objects, but then it puts the object into my Libraries panel.
Why can't I drag and drop anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only copy through clipboard works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be solved in the 2015.1.2 update released today: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!! How wonderful it is to have this back. Please don't ever, ever, ever take it away again lol.
:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not solved for Mac, and apparently Adobe support can't figure it out either forums.adobe.com/thread/2066028  neither do they believe it is really a problem for more than a handful of people

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, PLEASE tell me please why can't I now open my smart object  from Phin Illustrator in 2 clicks how it was before? How can I open it now? I have a version Photoshop CC 2015.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can -- nothing about that has changed.
The only known problem is that smart objects from CC Libraries can't be opened directly in Illustrator due to a limitation of CC Libraries (it's a problem across all applications).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris. Sorry, I didn't get it, and it is really important for me to know. So I made an icon in AI then copied it and paste in Photoshop. I don't have the source file with AI icon anymore, how can I then edit this icon in AI again, when I have it only in Photoshop as a Smart Object now? this is my question. And as far as I understand I can't edit this vector icon anymore..or can I ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just double click on the smart object to edit.
If you put the smart object into CC Libraries, then it will fail because CC Libraries cannot edit in other apps yet.
If you didn't put the smart object into CC Libraries, then it works like it has since smart objects where introduced in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Oh, thanks a lot! Now I finally got it!!! Just realized the field "add automatically to my Library" was checked, so that's why all the copied from Illustrator objects they were fallen to the library and I didn't know that. I find this is really misleading! Thanks a lot for the clarification!

Votes

Translate

Translate