• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: When launching Photoshop it recurringly takes focus from another application/task (Windows)

LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open PhotoShop, it takes my computer a moment or two to open it (most of my PSDs are at least 2GB big), so I switch back to my browser to keep working, but every time there is an alert, or popup, or question, or it simply successfully opens the PSD, PhotoShop forces itself to the front, interrupting what I was doing in another window.
It can be very frustrating, especially since I am more often than not in the middle of doing something.
And I wish it was as simple as Alt+Tab-ing back to my window, but sometimes it just forces its way to the front again!
I don't suppose this is a feature that can be taken off/switched off?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017
This is fixed in the current version, available for download this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
109 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While starting up, Photoshop recurringly takes focus (~3-5 times) - interfering with whatever you might want to do during that time.
Photoshop CC 2017
Intel i-3 530, Windows 7x64, 8Gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop steals focus 6 times when starting up. There is no reason PS has to do this.

I'd love to see it work like this:
Start PS > give me a splash screen > I press alt-tab. > PS loads in the background and I can switch to it when I'm done with whatever I was doing.

Focus stealing is extremely annoying and disruptive for absolutely no reason. Band-aid solutions like "Launch the apps you need and be done with it."  just doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if you can start photoshop in the background without it overriding all of your windows. I just want to open it and be able to work on something else at the same time without it popping up constantly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad it's not just me that's frustrated with this and experiencing this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing Christopher's post was submitted 3 months ago without someone acknowledging this is indeed a problem, I hope we're not just screaming in the wind...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, good to see to see others with this problem. Adobe really should take care of this. Focus stealing is annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same annoying problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really annoying. I really hope they can fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I'm glad someone counted that it takes over SIX times, without doing too much math - it's probably 6 times too many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I updated to Photoshop CC 2017 I've been having an incredibly annoying problem.

When I start up Photoshop and switch to another application it automatically switches back to Photoshop after a few seconds. I can switch away again but it continues to put Photoshop on the foreground multiple times which forces me to just sit and wait until it is fully loaded.

It's incredibly annoying in a professional workspace while trying to work efficiently. I just want to start up Photoshop so it can finish loading in the background while I continue typing an email or reading a paper.

This was introduced during the CC 2017 update, before that I've never had this problem and I've been using Photoshop since 2003.

Another thing is the incredibly slow "new document" window but I already managed to turn that off. With the new window it's impossible to just "Ctrl+N -> Enter -> Ctrl+V", because you'll get stuck while the window loads and it won't register the Enter and Ctrl+V.

All in all, a pretty frustrating update. Adobe, when you invent new things make sure it doesn't impair the workflow professionals have had for over a decade. Especially something as essential as creating a new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're investigating this issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a recent update Photoshop keeps making itself the active window (on Windows 7) rather than running in the background. This makes multi-tasking difficult. When Photoshop starts it keeps switching itself back to the active window - this can happen three or four times during the startup process. Running contact sheets it makes itself the active window every time it opens a new file to paste onto the contact. So I can't work on email and leave contact sheets to run in the background any more. Please  help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It drives me crazy. Adobe, do something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, for the next version of Photoshop, stop the focus on the loading app !
I'm on windows 10, and the Photoshop CC version 2017.0.1 is catching the focus (bring back the loading app on first plan) at least 5 ou 6 times during the loading process ! It's annoying...
On my computer, Photoshop spends around 15-20 sec to be ready to be used, and i don't want to wait in front of my computer... waiting for it. I prefer to lauch the app, and continue to work on other think... but it's impossible because Photoshop come to the first plan each time you switch to something else as an internet navigator, or others Adobe Apps.
It was not the case on previous version 2016 CC...
Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you making progress with this annoying issue? Have you been able to repeat the problem, or do you need more information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the last update doesn't change anything anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. Photoshop takes a while to launch. Especially on an hdd but even on ssd. So often times I am working in the browser, or using another adobe application and I see I am going to need photoshop, so I just click the icon. I would like it that there is the splash assuring me "yeah, I noticed you need me!" and then it just sticks where it is: the background.  This way I can continue in Premiere, InDesign or whatever I am doing. I think other adobe apps do it similarly, but not 6 times as PS does. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if I ended up here, if because i got fed up with the damn focus stealing and went googling for a solution. please fix asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support told me there is nothing to do about this.
I eventually found this post, and cast my vote, but would have preferred if support would have directed me to this instead.
I know that this is just software, but i feel personally offended by Photoshop each and every time it interrupts me in what i am doing (even though i shouldn't). Not even my family will interupt me while i am working and here comes Photoshop and interrupts me 3-4 times in a row

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, for example, some moment i am working with Illustrator, and here for some reason i need launch PS. I know that starting PS takes about 30-40 second and i know that i need PS now or may be later and i want it to be launched, but don't want to wait, so i just pushed Ps button and go back to Illustrator, try keep working, but here is the problem, because PS tries to be always in front of other windows until launch process haven't be finished. I don't understand such behavior. Could you please explain it to me?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2017 May 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the "investigation" coming along?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if you can start photoshop in the background without it overriding all of your windows. I just want to open it and be able to work on something else at the same time without it popping up constantly. I'm thinking it could be a bug since it hasn't always done this and doesn't seem to happen to everyone. And it doesn't happen on other adobe products that i use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the program starts happening repeated attempts to seize the focus of the Photoshop application window. As a result, at the time of start-up takes place hideous flicker Photoshop window, while it is not possible to place any other window on top of all windows when launching Photoshop.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrpb01xb9m6hdkb/BUG.mp4?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop a very long time to boot at startup. While it loaded, I start to do my thing on the computer but that's annoying - it constantly steals focus of the window and the activity on the screen, showing their start and dialog boxes, making it very annoying. Is it possible to make Photoshop when you run the intercepted activity, and, while I did not select the tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate