• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Why can I not copy/paste layer names into the layer name fields? (CS6)

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double click a layer's name I can edit the layer name. I can copy the layer name, and past it back into the same field. When I press enter, and try to edit the name again it doesn't do anything. I cannot paste it at other layer's names either. The clipboard is loaded with the text, as I can paste it into other applications.

I remember this being possible some time ago. I have no idea if there's anything that I've changed.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013
I am able to reproduce this in CS5 and CS6. The culprit seems to be specifically the Edit>Paste menu item. Hiding the other two (Edit>Copy or Select>All) doesn't trigger the problem.

Also, I'm seeing that if I copy a layer name and then click to activate another layer name right away, pasting always works. If I press Enter/Return or Tab after copying the layer name and then activate another layer name, the problem occurs.

I'll go ahead and log a bug for this, but in the meantime, I would sugge...

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be no problem.
After you hit enter, did you double-click the name in the Layers Panel or invoke LAyer > Rename Layer?

What are your specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either way doesn't work.

I can *only* paste text into a layer name field if I copied it from that layer itself, but *not* after I exit edit mode.

Copy pasting layer names any other way does not work.

Except sometimes. That's the weird part. Occasionally I'll try to copy/paste a layer's name and it works. Then I'll try it again and it stops working.

Specs:
Photoshop CS6 Version 13.0 x64
OS X 10.8.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you really using 13.0 and don't have the updates installed?

I'd work through these steps, starting with making sure you're up to date:
http://bit.ly/Troubleshoot_PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a trashing pref and reinstalling Photoshop I think I've tracked down the culprit.

I customised Photoshop's Menu, hiding among other things the Menu entries for Edit>Copy, Edit>Paste, and Select>All. For some reason it disables the copy/paste/selecting of layer names, while still functions for normal copy/paste in the document itself.

I have been able to reproduce this several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to reproduce this in CS5 and CS6. The culprit seems to be specifically the Edit>Paste menu item. Hiding the other two (Edit>Copy or Select>All) doesn't trigger the problem.

Also, I'm seeing that if I copy a layer name and then click to activate another layer name right away, pasting always works. If I press Enter/Return or Tab after copying the layer name and then activate another layer name, the problem occurs.

I'll go ahead and log a bug for this, but in the meantime, I would suggest enabling the Edit > Paste item in the menu as a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is still in Photoshop CC. Sometimes pasting into a layer's name works. Other times it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2016 Jan 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I just got this bug randomly in Photoshop CC enterprise. It is critical to my workflow to be able to paste in layer names since we are using Photoshop Generator extensively.

I can't paste into a layer or folder name. I can create a text layer and paste into that. I can then copy the layer name of the text field and paste that but the layer name is truncated.

Votes

Translate

Translate