• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Why was sync settings removed?

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why sync settings in PS CC 2015.1 was removed?
I like this idea. Are technical problems with it?

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016
This is covered in the What's Changed section of the help documentation: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html#Whats_changed

You can still sync settings through export/import of settings: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

You can also now use the Libraries panel for syncing a variety of assets between computers (layer styles, text styles, colors, etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate
70 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve and Jacob,I'm sorry about the situation.  It makes sense to me that you are angry when a useful feature that was working "just fine" is removed from a product you depend on.  I mean, the whole point of buying Adobe software is so you get something that works and solves your problems.  I think you can be confident Adobe will continue to be focused on cloud-based shared systems that will ultimately restore this or a similar capability.  In the meantime though we are falling short.  I'm not happy about that.  I will continue to try to get more clarity here and will report what I find out.  Thanks for your patience and remaining engaged.  David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for giving us a shoulder to cry on in the meantime David 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha, here here.
Thanks David, sometimes going months without a response is disheartening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is in fact no real support from Adobe in this forum. It's just waste of time to post bugs or complaints or wishes. No one cares. No one answers. No one helps. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malte,

There have been 452 ideas implemented: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family?topic-list[settings][status]=complete&topic-list... 2225 problems solved: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family?topic-list[settings][status]=complete&topic-list... (well, probably more depending on how diligent folks are marking their topic status)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is covered in the What's Changed section of the help documentation: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html#Whats_changed

You can still sync settings through export/import of settings: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

You can also now use the Libraries panel for syncing a variety of assets between computers (layer styles, text styles, colors, etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, this has been covered. I think you're missing the tone of the complaints, though. We know you got rid of a good feature and replaced it with an old school feature. We know it's documented. We know library syncs assets.

This topic, however, is about syncing settings via the cloud.... Automatically... Between computers..... Which we could do and now we can't.

I would never discount the work your team accomplishes with every update, as some do, but this is a specific complaint and your reply is a little tone deaf of the concern. Davids response at least made me feel warm and fuzzy!

Anyway, not angry just frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're aware there's a gap - I am hopeful we can replace the functionality with something better in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey
David offered 3  explanations for why the feature was removed, none of them terribly satisfying. Can you offer any better reasons? Why exactly was this feature so hard to maintain?

Also, why can't Adobe just commit to restoring the feature? You and David both offer statements like "I think you can be confident" and "I'm hopeful". Can you share anything about the true nature of the problem that makes syncing so difficult a feature to restore? Was it perhaps not properly implemented in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, we can't announce details about future releases. I apologize and agree the explanation/reasons aren't terribly satisfying - but that's short and long of it. My personal belief is it could be a really cool, easy to use feature (auto-magic), but the way it was implemented wasn't very discoverable, and required manual synchronization - and had very low usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 14, 2016 May 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like how Chrome Browser can sync your history, passwords, bookmarks, addons, ect. I setup this feature one times on each PC and then it just works like auto-magic. 🙂 Is there a reason why it would not work like in Chrome?

And if you open your Firefox browser first time, so it asks you what you want to import/synchronize.

I believe that the Adobe has not changed the pricing policy just to make more money earned. I believe the idea is to bring more benefits to users. Or am I wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> but the way it was implemented wasn't very discoverable, and required manual synchronization - and had very low usage.>

On top of which, some apps didn't seem to know how to tell you which direction the sync was moving in. IMO, it was simply too complicated working with several apps, even for those of us who did use it, and bits and pieces of it were strewn across the desktop making it a game of hide and seek.

I really hope Adobe comes up with a better version of Sync, which also ought to make it possible to implement it with consistency. I'm sure if they do, we'll complicate it for them by insisting it be  completely automatic, user-controllable on a case by case basis, and a hybrid of both.<G>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"On top of which, some apps didn't seem to know how to tell you which direction the sync was moving in."

Yes, absolutely right. You'd open up a CC application and it would ask you an overly-simple question like: "Do you want to sync settings with the cloud?" Yeah, well, in which direction?

If it wasn't sure to people exactly what was happening, then it wasn't safe to say "yes."

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the biggest travesty since Adobe Premiere CS4. I've used Creative Suite user from the beginning, and have been go through cycles of complete ineptitude regarding Adobe product usability before. Here we are mid-2016, and have these glaring, Software 1.0 errors in what should be an exceptionally mature platform.  

For example. The Photoshop [Document Type] preset, indispensable when creating new documents you want sized to existing needs. You can save these presets, but you cannot import, export or now SYNC OR MIGRATE these settings. Makes Creative Cloud useless. Anyone got a license to CS 6.0 they can sell me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> You can save these presets, but you cannot import, export or now SYNC OR MIGRATE these settings. Makes Creative Cloud useless. Anyone got a license to CS 6.0 they can sell me?>

While I admit I don't use the Cloud a lot, I wouldn't say Sync was the only reason for it. But more to the point, I really did like CS6, but am horrified now at the thought of being limited to working with just what is available in CS6. I've gotten spoiled.  '-}

It would be very nice, however, if Adobe could come up with something that they can support, that's easy and understandable to use so we can once again sync, and/or backup our settings and presets, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@watkino

Check out the CC Libraries feature... you will find the functionality you're looking for there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows 10 PC and Photoshop/Lightroom cc2017. The sync settings option does NOT show up in the Preferences dialogue box. It did at one time but now does not. I am signed into my Adobe Account and Sync is ON in the desktop application. I am getting a new computer and would very much like to sync all my settings before I change over. What am I missing in this whole process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I correct in that Sync settings is gone from the this latest version?
It was great after a crash to make sure all work machines were set up the same.
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of wasting time putting in feature we don't need keep features we like. Seems programmers are having too much "fun" programming and don't consult users or don't even use the program (Who could blame them!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Kinda ridiculous that in 2020, there's still no Sync Settings feature for Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate