P: Wintab not working (21.0.1)

21 Votes
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUG : Photoshop 2020 has broken support for wintab via PSUserConfig.txt !!!
UseSystemStylus 0 

This has worked perfectly fine up until PS 2019 - Windows ink is a steaming pile of .... and NOT a viable option. 

(yes, PSUserConfig.txt is in the correct settings folder in Appdata, PS just seems to ignore it) 

We'll revert to 2019 until this is fixed, since wintab is the only reliable solution for pressure sensitivity on Wacoms with Windows workstations. 

MAJOR DEALBREAKER - pls look into this asap ! 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020
21.2.3 just posted - PSUserConfig.txt (WinTab) should be functioning again!  

Votes

Translate

Translate
54 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All, you can disable the press and hold ring via Control Panel > Pen and Touch: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tablet-support-faq-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Wacom control panel did you assign different/custom shortcuts to the pen switches and that's what is broken?  I have defaults and haven't changed mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, standard right-click, etc. I'll dig into the OS settings again after work and see what I can fix there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does KBSC stand for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KeyBoard ShortCut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://imgur.com/a/mPTk8qT

Higher quality video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/819hoi1xkt0jdwq/photoshop21.2.2brushresizebug.mp4?dl=0

as seen in the video, when you resize with alt right click hover. the dual brush size does not stay consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Erik for a fix to all of this, at least, with the roll back version.  It has put my mind at ease.
I, too, much prefer to just use the config.

Two nights now trying to solve literally every problem you list, all at once.  I put in the config file, turn off Ink, and my pressure disappears.  I turn on ink and remove the config I get lag, circles, and the little ctrl+alt, etc, pop ups. Editting windows in gpedit and all this other nonsense in a vain attempt to have a usable Photoshop with Ink on, and still failing.
It's a never ending battle that you can't win, lmao.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dylan Sadler : Hi Dylan. What is your version of W10 ? Because it seems that the modifications made with the gpedit does not work with W10 home, it is absolutely necessary to have W10 Pro.
I obviously have the same problem of pop ups. I have W10 Home, I installed the gpedit, activated the "turn off pen feedback" and no change. I'm losing patience to pay a subscription fee for such minor problems.
So I'm wondering if I'm gonna switch to W10 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still doesn't solve the issue of the brush strokes lagging with WinInk compared to WinTab. 
It's horrible for sketching and linework.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry Pascal, I didn't mean to infer that gpedit actually worked for me - as you said it, it doesn't work, it was just one of the many hoops I jumped through in an attempt to have a solution to all this. It appears it worked in the past, but something must've changed. 
But, to answer your question, I am on the latest version of Windows 10 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - Ugh, sorry aobut this breakage - we're working on a fix for this asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent video, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please just find a way to roll back to Wintab. It was working FLAWLESSLY yesterday. I cannot put up with Windows Ink, and I need Photoshop to work properly in order to do my job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Windows Ink on for Photoshop and off for Lightroom Classic becuase it makes the sliders lag horribly in LrC.

I had Ink on for PS to retain pen pressure but had 'UseSystemStylus 0' in the config file.

Like others have said, with the new update I had to delete 'UseSystemStylus 0' to regain pen pressure BUT... this has made sliders such as Camera Raw filter lag horribly, just like it does in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

This is horrible. Deleting "UseSystemStylus 0" makes pen pressure work again, - but all the sliders in Photoshop are lagging.

This is unworkable. Find a solution, Adobe. Pretty please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or stop the sliders becoming unusable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... so without any notice, I lost 2 hours of work today because I didn't know that we now have to delete the "UseSystemStylus 0" workaround to be able to work properly.
SO.. basically now everything seems to be working, ALMOST. Because I now have to deal with the infamous shortcut win-popups (Shift / Alt / Ctrl) under my brush and I must say I forgot how annoying that thing was.
Any fix for that please? :C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full explaination of why using windows ink is not a solution.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-pen-tablet-windows-ink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

horrible new behaviour today. windows 10, intuos small, latest everything.

Windows Ink randomly causes the brush tool to shoot off towards the top left of the screen drawing a perfect straight line from whenever I was working off the page somewhere.

This version of Ps is unusable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's only one accetable course of action : Reinstate the functionality of wintab with "UseSystemStylus 0" immediately! (meaning in 21.2.3) 

This was the same issue we had in 21.0.1 - and someone fixed it until someone broke it again in 21.2.2 ! 

The way that core functionality is being changed without any reason, benefit to the user or explanation between service releases is completely unaccetable and deeply unprofessional.  

Its like taking your car for service check and when you get it back they casually removed the steering wheel and replaced it with two buttons for going left and right ... "Its a new thing, we think its so much better than a steering wheel, also, dont press too hard or the engine might stop running or you might crash...." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree, I don't understand why Adobe broke WinTAB again (was it to force users to test WinINK...again?). As of current, WinINK brings nothing to the table that makes of a better experience, either Adobe need to program their own proper tablet drivers which does one thing only: works well with and responsive with pens without any fluff or popups... or bring back WinTab support , which worked fine, and let people have a choice between the two.  I don't believe Microsoft will ever make WinINK any better, it's been crap since day 1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Huion H610Pro tablet user.

Is there a fix yet, to the Pen Pressure issue in Photoshop 2020 update?
I don't have issues with the Pen Pressure in other applications. PS is the only hiccup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a "fix", it is a disaster. Photoshop is not the only app we use! WindowsInk makes the whole system buggy and unusable. So, we MUST turn it off to avoid complex problems anywhere. But with Photoshop, it is impossible to work without this buggy piece of art now.

Please fix it as soon as possible.

ADOBE's subscription going to be too annoying so many will looking in different directions soon 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.2.3 just posted - PSUserConfig.txt (WinTab) should be functioning again!  

Votes

Translate

Translate