• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Switching from Wacom tablet to mouse, every click gets lag (latest CC & CS6) on Win 7/8

Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop CC and CS6 (only if latest update has been applied, apparently), mouse clicks on the canvas area (*not in menus or palettes*) are lagged after using a Wacom tablet. Detailed explanation:

• When starting Photoshop, mouse works okay. Then, if I switch to my Intuos Pro (latest drivers), everything is fine too.
• But here comes the problem: when I switch back to the mouse, the very first mouse click (after switching from tablet) is NOT lagged, but the rest from then on, ARE.
• If the switch from tablet to mouse is done very quickly (clicking on canvas or ruler area with the pen while swiftly clicking with the mouse), then the lag does not happen.
• Closing Photoshop and re-opening it gets rid of the lag, until the tablet is used (then the problem starts again when switching to the mouse).

This problem has been debated here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5768548
It has also been repeteadly reported to Wacom, who have not acknowledged or denied the problem: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f...
User pinkbunkadoo posted a 15 sec video demonstrating the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D51R...

While the knowledgeable Chris Cox suggested that this seems a driver issue, we (the affected users) still believe that something changed in the latest Photoshop versions that brought up this problem, since it does not happen at all with CS6, CS5, etc. (although CS6 with latest updates seems to have the problem too). It doesn't happen either with a couple other pressure-sensitive design programs I've tried (ArtRage and SmoothDraw).

I've been able to reproduce this problem in all the machines I've tried it on (Win 7 and Win 8 systems), which do not seem to share any particular software or hardware that suggests a pattern. I've tried reinstalling the OS twice to no avail. My main machine is Win 8.1 x64, i7 930@2.8, 20 MB RAM, gfx card ATI Radeon HD 6800 series, and using Photoshop CC latest version (14.2.1).

This bug is extremely annoying for people like me that switch a lot between mouse and pen (I use mouse with my right hand, for menus, marquee selections, paths, etc., and the pen with my left hand to draw with brush tools). I'm more than willing to provide any additional info, should Adobe staff be kind enough to look into this or at least try to reproduce this issue. Thanks.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
42 Comments
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats right. Lag is gone between strokes and actions, but now the right-click brush menu is broken. I can't drag the sliders anymore, have to tip them or punch in the numbers.
I wonder if wacom and Adobe even use their own products...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS/version are you on?
Do you have the latest driver installed? (6.3.10w2)
Do you have the latest updates for Photoshop installed? http://adobe.ly/PS-Up-To-Date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows8 64bit
and of course: latest Wacom Driver, latest PS CC2014 Version

The Right-Click-Menu lag only apears, when you use it with tablet-pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried restoring your preferences?: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201...

If you do restore your prefs, please save a copy of your existing prefs in case they turn out to be the culprit. Having the bad prefs can sometimes help us track down the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 29, 2014 Nov 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link doesn't load.
But nontheless, resetting prefs doesn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The engineering team is looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news? This is a daily nuisance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, they only had 2 month. Give them another 2 years and they might fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Christian, they've been failing to fix this for almost 2 years already:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1228545

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2015 Feb 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm what exact version of Photoshop you are running? CC 2014.2.2 is the latest. http://adobe.ly/PS-Up-To-Date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening on my system. I am running windows 7 and photoshop cs6 (13.0.1 64bit) - latest wacom driver.

The problem doesn ́t exist in cs5 - So I have just started using that again 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2015 Mar 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I have the same issue. Right Click with Intuos Art Pen and Lightroom 5.7.1 just doesn't work. I have Win 8, Photoshop CC etc. with all the latest updates, including the latest Wacom driver 6.3.11-4. I've deleted Lightroom Prefs. Nothing seems to work. But Right-Click works everywhere else...so still not sure if it's Adobe or Wacom or my issue...Wacom just say install latest driver; or uninstall reinstall etc. which I've done several times. Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2015 Mar 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a Wacom issue. Photoshop just responds to the events given to it by the OS, which gets them from the driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi people. As I previously stated, the issue finally got solved for me and I've not experienced this crippling issue anymore.

Still, I wanted to apologize to other people reading this thread (both users and adobe staff) if my choice of words back in my last post was inappropriate or the general tone came across as too harsh. It was 4 months ago but the memory of it haunts me regularly, since I always try to communicate in a pleasant and polite way. Please, understand that I was coming from a really tough situation where I couldn't do my work or enjoy what I love the most, for 1 year. And nobody seemed to care.

I hope nobody felt upset by the way I expressed my thoughts in this regard, but if so, please accept my apologies. And regarding adobe, please rest assured that I hold their staff in the highest esteem. Photoshop is an amazing program. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2015 Sep 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on Windows 10 using the latest Photoshop CC up to date 😞 And it's very annoying. Anyone found a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 13.0.1 x64
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
ATI Radeon HD 4870 (latest driver):
Display Driver ver. 8.97.100.11
OpenCL(tm) Driver 10.0.937.2
Catalyst Control Center 2013.0429.2312.39747

898 days and still no resolution. I'll be contacting Wacom to file a complaint and a link to the original topic and this page.

My description of the problem:
1) Buy Wacom Intuos Art 2015 pen and tablet.
2) Successfully install latest Wacom driver (6.3.15-1).
3) Use in vanilla installation of CS6. Works perfectly fine.
4) Update CS6 to 13.0.1.
5) Draw with pen. OK.
6) Draw one continuous stroke with mouse. OK.
7) Draw new continuous stroke with mouse. BUG. Brush stroke lags and creates a straight line from the initial contact point to wherever it thinks the point currently is. Afterwards jerking, current stroke returns to normal accuracy and follows cursor. Subsequent new strokes with mouse exhibit same bug.
8) Draw with pen. OK.
9) Draw one continuous stroke with mouse. OK.
10) Draw new continuous stroke with mouse. BUG. Brush stroke lags and creates a straight line from the initial contact point to wherever it thinks the point currently is. Afterwards jerking, current stroke returns to normal accuracy and follows cursor. Subsequent new strokes with mouse exhibit same bug.

Fix:
Do not update CS6. If you have updated and this problem exists, if I recall correctly, you can uninstall and reinstall CS6 to return it back to normal. I'm about to do this again and will re-post to confirm (Edit: Confirmed. Back to working condition).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I own a XP-Pen Deco Pro : https://www.xp-pen.com/product/432.html tablet but it only makes sense to me if I'm "painting" on edits or something similar.  Once I got used to the way it handles, it completely changed my workflow. I find that I can do everything quicker, and with less strain, than with a mouse. Even if I don't always use the pressure-sensitivity options (which are a HUGE help in retouching photos), it's nice to have such direct control of the tools. The only time it becomes tricky for me is when I'm working with fine-tuning paths in PS or Illustrator. Because the stylus hovers over the surface of the tablet, it sometimes changes locations when I lower to "click" on the anchor point, so it sometimes is not as precise as using a mouse. I highly recommend one. I also agree that you should get the largest size you can afford.

Votes

Translate

Translate