Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Wrong Histogram behavior in Clipped Curve adjustment layer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'd like to report a bug that has been plaguing photoshop for some time. This is to display a histogram for the adjustment layer which is in Clipping Mask mode.

When the adjustment layer is in Clipping mask mode, the histogram that displays in the Properities panel should only be for one layer below. For some reason, all new versions of Photoshop display a histogram for all layers below which I think is a bug and not working properly.

When the adjustment layer is in Clipping mask mode, the histogram should be in Selected Layer mode for the layer below, and it is in Entire Image mode.

As a result, it is impossible to precisely set Levels or Curves, because the histogram does not display the data that the user needs.

Hope something can be done about it.

PS. In the Photoshop CS6 and below this was no issue as everything was working fine with this. 

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Hi @Andrew_1982 ,

Thank you for for reporting this.  My team and I are aware of this issue and have it in our To Do/Backlog.  I'm sorry this has been troubling for so many years.  We really want to fix this, but the amount of time to fix this will require a lot of time.  Apologies again.

-Andrew 

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew, could you make a screen recording of what you're doing/seeing? Or provide screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, 

Sure I can:)

Below is an image with Levels Ajdustment Layer that is clipped inside a layer. As you can see, the histogram for this adjustment layer is for entire image.

Untitled-1.jpg
When I select a layer below and use levels on it, the histogram is correct because it only applies to that layer. As in the picture below.

Untitled-2.jpg

It looks as if someone from Adobe developers has switched the histogram display mode for clipped mask adjustment layers from Selected Layer (in the image below) to Entire Image.

Untitled-3.jpg

I don't know, maybe there is a deeper sense to it. But I know that whenever I use Level or Curves Adjustment Layers, it's actually really hard to use them because I don't have a preview of the correct histogram. Oddly enough, in Photoshope CS 6 everything was and still is OK 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Andrew_1982 ,

Thank you for for reporting this.  My team and I are aware of this issue and have it in our To Do/Backlog.  I'm sorry this has been troubling for so many years.  We really want to fix this, but the amount of time to fix this will require a lot of time.  Apologies again.

-Andrew 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Andrew, I`m glad that you are working in this issue. 

Regards:)

Votes

Translate

Translate