• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Wrong size with Export As/Quick Export

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often use the quick export or the export as.. feature. Unfortunatly, the exported image has a different size (in pixels) than the original picture. Thats not only a different scale, but also a wrong canvas.
The results can vary even in one file when toggling different layers (randomly)

I have Windows 10 and the recent CC version installed.

Please let me know if you need more informations.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017
This issue should be fixed in the latest release of Photoshop CC: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/get-the-goods-announcing-updates-to-photoshop-cc-dimension...

Votes

Translate

Translate
22 Comments
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a transparent background? I think quick export and export-as to an automatic trim on transparent pixels unless you place a mask on the layer/group you are exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's not what Max suggests, can you post a PSD and steps that are giving you unexpected results?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Max, its not a transparent background.

Jeffrey, the specific PSD file where I can reproduce the misbehaviour has a size about 1.5 GB, but I try to create a sample file. I come back to you, soon.

Kind regards, Dorian

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I created a file where I can reproduce the behaviour: the big file has 7016x9933 pixels and contains a simple colored layer and an image layer bigger than the canvas. This specific file only exports to a 5219x8735 file. When making the image layer invisible or cropping it to the size of the canvas, the export is correct.

I can reproduce the error on a Mac machine, too.

Please, have a look at the file here:
https://we.tl/lJEKVybf0q

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey, could you reproduce the problem with my sample file?

Kind regards,
Dorian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the file wasn't available to download. Can you repost it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the sample file.  It looks like the problem is caused by the layer that extends beyond the canvas bounds.  If you mask or crop that layer to the canvas bounds, it exports correctly.  Give that a try and let me know if that workaround succeeds for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I tried to crop all layers and it worked fine, but that should really not be necessary. So I consider it a bug in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad the workaround worked for you.  Yes this is a bug and we're working on a fix.  Thank you for reporting this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to crop, masking like Chad recommended is a non-destructive workaround... Select-All then add an alpha mask to the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Export As command with some of my files, the image area gets cropped. The amount of the cropping is consistent whenever exporting the same file (with the same layers on), but varies between files. It appears to be related to the size of a layer that extends outside the image area.

Using the legacy Save for Web, this problem doesn't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be fixed in the latest release of Photoshop CC: https://blogs.adobe.com/photoshop/2017/10/get-the-goods-announcing-updates-to-photoshop-cc-dimension...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe PS (19 Release) I still have this error
Saved image is bigger (in height) than the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue is not fixed, please fix it ASAP! I have doc size with 1844x1240 -> export -> export as... -> PNG -> 100% -> when I write number "100" to percent size field, gives me right size -> 1844x1240, when I leave the field, percent sign is added to "100" number and 1240 is changed to 1258px, what is not 100% of original image. This makes a lot of problems, because nobody is expecting that document will change its aspect ratio. Same problem is with command export -> export quickly as PNG... but! Right size is exported using command SAVE AS .... PNG

I am using photobooth app, which is expecting exact image size, otherwise image/graphic is cropped and I was wondering, why is cropped, if I am exporting "right" size with command "export quickly as PNG" (where I do not see exported size in pixel) and I was really not expecting Photoshop is buggy and changing aspect ratio of image).

Adobe Photoshop version:  19.0 20171103.r.190 2017/11/03: 1143799  x64 (WIN 7)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm your words, still not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to Photoshop 2018, I find that when trying to save a picture using "Export as", after entering the image dimensions, it will change 1 by 1 pixel and give a message:

"The image dimensions cannot scale exactly as entered and have been rounded. For an exact size, please use Canvas Size or scale the layer and layer effects in the document"

This worked fine in Photoshop 2017. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, but this is a massive anti-feature.

Using Canvas Size doesn't scale my image, it adds a white line to one side.

What's worse is the message is unclear, and there are mathematical errors with the scaling in certain situations.

I have an image I cropped to 3:4 ratio, 1984 * 2645px, and I want to export it to 360 * 480px, but it keeps changing it to 359 * 480px

360/480 is closer to 1984/2645 than 359/480 is. It's actually about 360.05 / 480.

I thought maybe it was trying to scale exactly to the percentage in the "scale" field, but it shows 18.14%, which would be about 359.8976 / 479.803, so should round to 360/480.

Trying to change the percent, I realize, it's correct when I enter "18.14", but once I add the % sign, or hit enter, change focus, etc., and Photoshop adds the percent sign, it misscalculates.

I tried with an 1800*2400px image, and it works at 360*480, but if I change it to 359, it changes to 359*478 (should be 359*479), then on changing focus, it changes to 362*482 and "scale" says 19.94%.

As a web designer, this is a major part of my image workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the frustration Housik. Thank you for the report. You are correct that this is still an issue. There was a misunderstanding on a couple of similar issues, one of which was resolved. This issue is still under investigation. There will be an update when it is ready.

I'll look into workarounds and get back with you.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the frustration. Thanks for the detailed report - that's helpful. This is a known issue and it is under investigation. I'll look into possible workarounds in the meanwhile and get back with you.

Regards,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good lord. Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have multi-layered folders within folders the maksing method might not work for you. Somehow the following steps helped me:

1. Create another folder in the folder you want to quick-export
2. Set a mask to this new sub folder
3. Place all objects from the original master folder in there
4. Export the master folder

I do not know why but this solved the problem for me. 

RackMultipart20190103100226cla-9bdc02bd-11e1-4848-b0ea-b908cb9e4303-1870555730.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has there been any headway regarding this issue? It's something I still experience. (18 March '21, Photoshop v 22.3)

Votes

Translate

Translate