• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 2019: "Anchor Point Reference" is hidden by default when transforming an object

LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear that before the 2019 update photoshop would let me move the anchor point when resizing something, but now that "box" is grayed out. Also there isn't an anchor point showing up when I go to resize something. Specifically, I'm talking about that small "dot" that would show up in the middle of the object you were transforming that you could move to the top corner or anywhere in general.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
57 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you very much, Christen.

That. is. just. dumb.

Note to Adobe: making your long-time users feel stupid is not a great ploy to keep them users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Cristen 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! this has been driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Joel, that's exactly it. Even though professional users are what made Adobe who they are today, we're being largely sidelined in favor of people who rarely use Ps.
So, even though professionals only make up a small % of the market, we do represent a MUCH larger % in pure hours of use. This is what marketing doesn't seem to understand. Amateurs use Ps maybe 10-20 hours/month, while thousands and thousands and thousands of professionals use it 40-60 hours/week! Unfortunately this is about $ and little else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And our hero Steve Jobs and Apple led the way! Consumer products anyone? Well, my goodness, they DO sell well. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure, but remember Cristen, Jobs knew what was up and did his best to prevent all that from happening...

https://youtu.be/-AxZofbMGpM

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're saying he wasn't in control of the decision to do next to nothing anybody wanted with the Mac Pro that I'm still waiting on? Because hardly anyone (anymore, after all these years) wants a serious desktop computer (from Apple, since so many have already switched to PC) and the money is in the consumer products? I'll have to take back every evil thought I've had about him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a good reason for this? It was a really handy visual aid when aligning things by eye (the mathematical align too's not always suitable for asymmetrical content).

Even better would be options for things like a rule of thirds of golden ratio grid, as per the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you cristen.  The tiniest little things, when you don't know them, can cause so much frustration and be time consuming.  Unbelievable, one press of a button.  thank you so much!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you lock that to always be upper left, after you have chosen it, instead of center?
I want smart objects to drop in at the 0x 0y mark in the file, each time I drag one in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any way to do that. It isn't sticky and if it's visible, it's always going to be in the center.

That might be something to create as an Idea (feature request), saying why you need to drag and drop to the 0x0y anchor, and let people vote on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Cristen! This was really uncalled for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Whew.....thought I was really missing something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAAANKKS! just needed that....:}

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear to god I can't find this " tiny little checkbox", and it's driving me crazy! I've been using Photoshop professionally since 1991, and I've never been so frustrated in my life! (Okay, maybe I've been frustrated by about some other thinngs, but stil....)

Stuart R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stuart, for some reason, the UI Designer decided to make the checkbox slightly larger than other checkboxes, so it's a little more difficult to spot for those of us used to a specific size. 
With cmd-t active, look up in the top-left corner of the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@stuart Robertson:
RackMultipart201912121257491fi-1140cb11-7826-4f29-9dec-b087cf4b553f-1218488954.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found the box, however, how do you make multiple reference points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't. You get one pivot point and no presets. If you have a great need for multiple reference points for the anchor, consider writing up an "Idea" for it to see if you'll get some votes, but be sure to explain the reason why you need multiple reference points. I'm wracking my brain right now to recall an actual time I've ever thought I needed to transform something using two anchor points.  So I'm curious about the request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After ticking in this box indicated by Sam Houchins II I find it not possible to fix the position of the anchor point to where I want to put, with it adjusted to the 9 points of the square by its right. I am still looking for a way to place the anchor at anywhere I want to put.

Edit: I found it possible by holding Alt (not sure of the key on Mac) and drag and drop the bounding box. Hope anyone finds it helpful (Version: 21.0.3 20200115)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Transform is invoked, the anchor point reference can be moved to any spot on the square with your cursor, either in the proxy on the Options bar, or by dragging the center anchor point to any point on the Transform box. You don't need any modifier that I'm aware of. Are you saying that's different on Windows?

It's there as long as you're actively transforming. But then it returns to the center the next time you invoke Transform.

Maybe I'm not quite understanding what you're doing that you need to use the modifier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's not different for Windows. Well not for me anyway 🙂
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate