• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Temp Files Filling Scratch Disk FAST (possible memory leak?)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with extremely large PSB files (~20-100 GB). Supercharged Windows 10 machine built for this purpose alone, that includes:

• NIVIDIA Quadro P4000 (8 GB RAM)
  • 128 GB RAM
  • 1 TB OS Drive
  • 14 TB Data Drive
  • 4 TB Data Drive
  • 2 TB, RAID 0 scratch disk 

Previous project file was 50 GB and used approximately 500 GB of my scratch disk. Current project file is now reduced to 22 GB. After upgrade to PS 2020, I had to add 2 additional scratch disk options and TEMP files are now eating 4 TB and counting! It's creating anywhere from 3 to 8 new 64 GB Temp files every minute when using the program!

After spending 1 hour on tech support, I was told this is normal, expected behavior; to use 10+ times as much scratch disk space as Photoshop 2019!

Screen capture available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r31dzyzsq1uiv2m/Photoshop-2020ScratchDiskIssue.JPG?dl=0

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019
Version 21.0.2 should be available to you shortly and contains our changes to correct the excessive scratch space usage issues with Legacy Compositing disabled.

I'd like to know whether the changes have resolved all the issues listed here.  If you still have document size issues with 21.0.2, please follow up by eMailing me at carboni @ adobe . com (no spaces).  I want to make sure we get this right.

Thanks!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate
45 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I tried to use Legacy Compositing settings. The moment I create a new project in adobe photoshop, whole harddrives fills up with temp file, around 60Gb. One layer adds another 60Gb more. So scratch disks just goes full in a matter of seconds(use brush, new layer etc does it). Hopefully you guys are working on a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon, make SURE you quit Photoshop after making that Legacy Compositing change and start it again.

Please rest assured we'll be delivering a real fix to this issue soon.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. Working on a 3GB file, just using the healing tool clocked up 15GB everytime I used it (for small 15px brush size) and took up 495GB Scratch Disk until there was nothing left. I have reinstalled PS CC 19 untill it gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel, Yes we did that and even restarted PC. We will be eagerly waiting for a fix then 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here too...and
Ive deleted my temp files, and launched PS2020
and chose a clean 1200*1200px sheet, and watch my temp files goes up to 12gb just from a clean sheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issues working non destructive but not many layers. PS says Doc size is - for example - 64.9M/171.3M However once saved it's 454.4M!!! and this is not the temp file!
Since updating to PS 2020 I have worked on 5 files and it has taken up over 15GO of space!
I have reset Preferences but issue remains.
Also filter lighting effects via smart filter NOT WORKING PROPERLY... and even crashing.
I have done the legacy compositing.
Looking forward to your response,
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 21.0.2 should be available to you shortly and contains our changes to correct the excessive scratch space usage issues with Legacy Compositing disabled.

I'd like to know whether the changes have resolved all the issues listed here.  If you still have document size issues with 21.0.2, please follow up by eMailing me at carboni @ adobe . com (no spaces).  I want to make sure we get this right.

Thanks!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, I have updated to 21.0.2 as well as Camera raw and Lightroom.
Have opened same file used as test in previous update.
A.: PS crashed - identical - filter lighting effects via smart filter and not working correctly
B.: Original raw file 35.47MB - with xmp lightroom modifications; One action with content aware move ( small part of file ) creating layer and file saved in TIFF becomes 210.7MB!!
C.: Original Raw file - with xmp lightroom modifications > opened on PS and saved (without any modifications) in TIFF becomes 108.5MB
Legacy compositing disabled, PS closed and reopened.
I will email y Noel as there is also an issue with Lightroom classic color luminosity varies from "development module" back to "library module"
Best,
Isa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel, i have installed 21.0.2 version update and I am not able to work very long in PS before I get the error. In fact I am unable to save my work due to the "scratch disks are full' issue. This is a critical defect.  I have over 1T of free space available to me, this defect will surely drive end users mad!

I am a bus sys analyst by trade, defect testing and resolution my specialty. I am glad to assist anyway I can to help get this resolved, as this is a nightmare for end users.
going forward, I will be mindful of the steps to replicate the defect and report them to you. 

I'm eager for an update, so please let us know at your earliest when one can be expected

thank you!
Meryn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21.0.2 doesn't seem to be releasing memory when using Edit->Purge->Purge All.

I had an image that was consuming > 16GB of memory.  After  a Purge All very little memory was reclaimed - still over 16GB used. 

I checked Use Legacy Compositing and restarted PS and reloaded same image.  Less than 2GB of memory used.

Dennis

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this issue is back since the 21.1.2 update yesterday. One Magic Wand application fills up all the scratch disk space. I have plenty though: 250GB left on a 1TB SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elmar, I'm sorry you're having a problem.  Can you please let us know a little more about your working environment?  Please confirm PC vs. Mac, and let us know some detail on the image you're working with (e.g., pixel dimensions, bit depth, how complex the selection is, etc.).

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce what you are seeing.  With a number of Magic Wand selections on a big, multilayer 64 megapixel image I'm not seeing the scratch usage grow appreciably.

Lastly - and I hate to parrot this but it helps just often enough that it's worth suggesting - could you please try making note of any custom preferences you have set then resetting your preferences (there's a [Reset Preferences On Quit] button for this in the General preferences panel).  Try the same operation again after restarting Photoshop.

Thanks.

-Noel Carboni
 Adobe QE Developer

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the quick reply. Did what you said and it worked. Also reset the Crop Tool Settings. It might be that. But anyway, PS is working again!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am also having this issue, I can't get more than a couple of steps in before getting the error, and then to make things worse I can't even save what I've done. I was going to try the work around but apparently the Legacy Compositing [ ] spot is no longer on the latest version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kelly, this old thread was created for Photoshop 2020...  Could you please create a new thread to cover your issues with Photoshop 2021?  The original problem has been resolved, so what you're seeing may be an entirely new problem.

Thanks.

-Noel Carboni

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm got the same problem with Photoshop CC 2021 

It's crazy that people just say, "it's NORMAL get 100 tb of HDD."

This start happening after the Last Update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open up Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.0.1 

2 temp file created automatically which are eating my SSD space 100gb instantly when I quit off the PS then drive space go back to normal 

I read this entire forum but my issue didn't resolve, I also checked the legacy option

Any body will help would be appreciated 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NoelCarboni

Hello, I have version 22.3.0. My problem is when I make a new 1920x1080 composition at a resolution of 120. I make a rectangle, I want to add a text and automatically my disk C has 100gb free fills up and the D has more than 200gb free and it also fills until I get "scratch disks are full"

Is there any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked on my Windows system here... 

To simply open Photoshop on my Windows development system I see that in my TEMP folder (which happens to be on my drive D) I have a new Photoshop Temp44447174392 file that occupies 1.4 GB of storage space. 

When I create a 1920 x 1080 pixel document at 120 pixels per inch I see that the size of that scratch disk allocation hasn't changed.

Are you SURE you're creating your document at 1920 x 1080 pixels and not inches?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have win 10 pro. By default photoshop made me the compositions in pix / cm and it filled me the virtual memory disks. I switched to pix / inch and it goes fine. I tried pix / cm again and now everything works and I don't fill my scratch disks. I don't understand anything, but thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate