Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Moving layer leaves duplicate/shadow image

Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have experienced this, too, see 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/repeated-object-stays-on-artwork/m-p/11211712?page=1#M33965...

Moving a Layer will leave a shadow if »Legacy Compositing« is checked. (Photoshop 20.2.0 on macOS 10.15.4)

Regards, 
Pfaffenbichler

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
62 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you disabled Legacy Compositing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jakkal: Perhaps your search phrase was the problem, because,  believe me, there are MANY  postings on the topic... People get help here, but the people doing the helping should not have to answer the very same issues over and over when the answer is already posted.... Sorry that you felt my suggestion was unhelpful, but I think that doing a little research first would save you and others time...

You were not submitting a bug report. You were repeating a bug report that had been made so often that it had become tattered in the telling! I wonder whether you noticed that your post has now been combined with another which is very long and has your answers repeated several times....  Take a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to an excellent two hour long class on the changes made in 21.2 / other parts of Adobe's June update. It is by Ben Wilmore, who is an excellent instructor. I think that review of this material might be helpful for understanding the changes wrought in that Update, many of which have apparently caused considerable anguish!

https://mastersacademy.com/course/june2020updates/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading this morning to Ps 21.2 and then continuing to work on an on going current project I found both the eraser tool and lasso / delete were not working at all when trying to edit layers. I had to revert to the previous version of Ps which also has glitches with freezing tabs to be able to continue working on with the project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring two images into PS.  Move the top layer, leaves a persistent image of the top layer on the bottom layer.  Cleared up by switching lower layer off and on, until the next action!

Blending two layers is not shown at all, or not correctly until the base layer is switched off and on.  This is appalling as its almost impossible to tune a blend as you have to keep switching the base layer on/off to see the result.

These bugs are only evident on Catalina, Mojave is fine.

Computer: MBP 13" 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest Photoshop update- every time I add text to my project, it creates an image of the sample text that I can't get rid of or move. The New text just goes on top of it. This does the same thing for duplicating the text boxes too. It will duplicated it but leave whatever was originall there, and then it won't go away. Ultimately if I save it the original box goes away, but it begins again if you begin to alter anything. It's infuriating and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as making sure I have all the recent updates. I can't do my projects literally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did not make it go away for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the life of me, I can't find it now, but there was another thread that was a problem I had that said turn Legacy Compositing ON. I think it was performance related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my experience too - new files work with Legacy Compositing unchecked, old files only work with flicking between on and off after every layer change. I have had to revert to 21.1.3 to avoid it for now, because it make Photoshop unusable with all my old files.

Have tried everything from resetting all my PS settings to reinstalling my graphics drivers with a completely clean install. Nothing helps. Definitely something to do with Legacy Compositing being messed up IMHO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers in my photoshop files appear visibly duplicated when I move them or zoom, and sometimes show a previous version of the layer. These "duplicates" are not actually duplicate layers - they are like "after-images" that I cannot select or edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALTERNATE WORKAROUND:
(because the 'Legacy Compositing' trick doesn't always work)
1) Create a new document with the same dimensions as the glitching document
2) Select all layers, Rt/Click, "Duplicate Layers...", Destination->Document->[New doc from step 1]
--
For me this works more often and permanently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate