Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Moving layer leaves duplicate/shadow image

Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have experienced this, too, see 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/repeated-object-stays-on-artwork/m-p/11211712?page=1#M33965...

Moving a Layer will leave a shadow if »Legacy Compositing« is checked. (Photoshop 20.2.0 on macOS 10.15.4)

Regards, 
Pfaffenbichler

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
62 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Will have engineering take a look. The workaround is to make sure "Legacy Compositing" under Preferences > Performance is unchecked. (Note: It's unchecked by default)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but how confident are you that the issues with the modern Compositing Engine that made it necessary for some users to use Legacy Compositing in the first place have been addressed?  
The Layers Styles on Groups issue does not seem to apply anymore but if I remember correctly there were also issues with some Blend Mode combinations (possibly also in connection with Groups ... not sure anymore). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the latest Photoshop CC. The new select subject feature has a major bug! When you select a subject, then move it to a different background, then try to move it around it make another copy of the subject!!! This needs to be addressed ASAP! Please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue where moving/transforming images and TEXT leave a "ghost" of the original (not shadow). Turning on Legacy Compositing helped a little, but not 100%. Clicking a background layer on/off gets rid of the ghosted text and images. I am on a 2017 iMac with the Radeon Pro 580 8 GB. The Performance prefferences window shows my GPU model and is active.  PS preferences file was reset and a fresh copy installed. No luck. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen it once, restarting Photoshop fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue. It seems that turning OFF Legacy Compositing fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning on Legacy Compositing helped a little,
As Kraeg indicated it might be another issue then, for me this particular problem boiled down to a newly introduced malfunction when Legacy Compositing in on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacPro 2010, OSX 10.14.6.

When editing a text layer, sometimes the 'old' version stays visible, although it's not in the layers panel. Might be triggered by cropping, not sure. I first saw it after straightening an image using the crop tool, then trying to level the text again.

Three video's of the issue.
1) Issue
2) at first everything is okay, then I use the crop tool and the issue comes up.
3) if you try to select the 'ghost' text, it disappears.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tggqnl43immukeu/TextbugPSCC2020-1.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmh6ubr8mv80kun/TextbugPSCC2020-2.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1irhg9dtxuu2dua/TextbugPSCC2020-3.mp4?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest Photoshop update (21.2.0), I have serious problems regarding the visual refresh of the layers after even the slightest modifications. The previous version keeps showing up and everything is messed up.

Most of the times, I have to manually hide and unhide the layers below to make the previous version disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Les calques affichés ne sont pas rafraichis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changes are not displayed or are displayed incorrectly when masking or transparency of the top layer.

If I duplicate a layer, for example, and change the opacity on the top, or I apply a mask, or move it, then when the layer is turned on and off, the image contents are not displayed correctly.
For proper display, you have to turn off the visibility of all layers and turn it back on from the bottom in turn.
This makes it impossible to work.

Windows 10 x64 Pro.
Disabling GPU usage does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the brand new Photoshop CC 21.2.0, if I attempt to make a change in a layer or add a layer, all of the layers duplicate themselves until I click the visibility icon of a lower label off and on which makes the duplicate disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to move a smart object. A repeated object stays on the screen. This only happens after I've updated it to 21.2.0. Please fix this bug immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same issue, the turning off Legacy Compsiting, seems to have worked.  Mine was ON by default, btw. I don't remember ever turning it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off Legacy Compositing and restarting have any effect? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak for others, but for me I didn't need to restart. Just turning off Legacy Compositing solved it completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the most recent update I've been noticing that changes I make aren't always happening as soon as I make them. Yesterday it was graphic related and today it is effecting text layers. It happens with a google font, times new roman AND arial.

It LOOKS like there are two layers but there really is only the one.

Here's what happens if placeholder text is turned on.

Here's what it looks like when I change the font size

When I move a shape or resize it, there's also a ghost of it in the original space / size.

I've found the only thing that makes the original text go away is to make a layer invisible and then visible (turn it on and off again). If there is a way to remove this extra step I'd appreciate it. I have to do it after every little change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the text tool to change text, the old text is not being correctly redrawn. It stays visible even though it has been replaced. The problem is solved by toggling the layer's visibility (eye icon). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm, that unchecking "Legacy Compositing" fixes the issue. Thank you for your feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMPORTANT EXCEPTION and inconsistency:

-For documents created in 21.2: "Legacy Compositing" must be turned OFF

-For documents originally created in earlier versions: "Legacy Compositing" must be turned ON

This usually fixes the ghosting problem, BUT:
If it doesn't, the act of flipping it either way: ON->OFF or OFF->ON
'fixes' the problem.  

*Please* prioritize this glitch, it's grinding my productivity to a halt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of adobe photoshop, 21.2, and my computer/operating system is catalina Mac OS...  10.15.5...  since downloading the latest photoshop version, when i'm working with layer masks, when i fill or brush within the mask, the real time effects do not show.  They are there because i can see them be painted onto the mask and if i afterwards toggle the layer visibility, they eventually show, so it is a real time rendering issue.  The layer mask is on the top layer, layer is not locked, brush mode is normal and opacity and flow are both 100%... so that rules out the conventional troubleshootings and as i said, if i toggle the layers, they eventually show the effect showing it was there, just not showing it.  Please advise adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that’s some diligent sleuthing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted to the previous version.

NB: Which you should only try if you have your settings on a backup somewhere, because of another bug:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/ps-cc-21-2-0-text-bug?topic-reply-list[settin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the last Photoshop update (21.2) my Photoshop is nog previewing anything right anymore. It seems it can't even show a simple dragging of layers right without starting to ghost. 

The moment I move a layer (even a simple text layer), it shows the layer double, on the original spot (or very close to it) and the new spot I moved it to. It wil only be visible as it should when my background layer below is made invisible and then visible again.

I'm working on a 2018 MacMini, 3,2 Ghz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB RAM, Radeon RX 560 (eGPU) with a 4K display connected on the eGPU. MacOS 10.15.5

I've got about 85% of RAM assigned to Photoshop, using the GPU with OpenGL, cashlevel at 6.

A screengrab-video of a Linkedin Mockup I'm working on is attached to show the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate