Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Moving layer leaves duplicate/shadow image

Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have experienced this, too, see 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/repeated-object-stays-on-artwork/m-p/11211712?page=1#M33965...

Moving a Layer will leave a shadow if »Legacy Compositing« is checked. (Photoshop 20.2.0 on macOS 10.15.4)

Regards, 
Pfaffenbichler

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

We are happy to announce the release of Photoshop 21.2.1 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 21.2.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. 

More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
62 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with the latest update for PSCC.  If I move an element (which is on its own layer) I can see that element twice on the document screen, once in its new position and also in its old position.i.e. if I have a circle and move that circle to a new position I can see two circles on the document even though I can only see one circle in the layers panel.  Moving stuff worked perfectly until this update and it still works fine in any of the older versions that I have.  Can you help please?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, turning off the Legacy Compositing solves the problem for me.   I seem to remember that I turned that on to solve a previous problem but can't remember what that problem was!   Can anyone suggest to me what that previous problem was?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the newest version Photoshop. I updated a few days ago. When I try to move an object, there is always a "shadow". See the attachment. You can see in the Layer, there is only one image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I, say, add a Black & White adjustment layer, the image will change from color to b & w.

But when I tinker w/ sliders, the first change or two is reflected on the image, but then all further edits are not. It's as if the preview of the edits is hung up. If I save, close, and reopen the doc, all of the latest edits are reflected (even those that I couldn't see the moment I made the edit).

So I'm guessing it's a caching issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open a (raw image). I (on a Mac) use Cmd-shift-N to create a new layer. In the dialog box I chose Difference as the blending mode. I then attempt to fill the layer with white, which should give be a negative image. Nothing happens. However, if I make that layer invisible, then the layer below it shows up in negative. THis also happens if I create the new layer from the context menu and select Difference at that time.This does NOT happen if I make the new layer with Ctl-Shift-N and then set the blending mode in the Layers panel. It only began with the latest update (21.2.0 on Mojave)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»that previous problem« doesn’t quite do the issue justice ... there was more than one. 
Two I remember were 
• Layer Styles on Groups got clipped 
• some Blend Mode combinations provided incorrect results
But there might have been more. 

And don’t be too quick with considering turning off »Legacy Compositing« a solution. 
I have experienced intermittent nonsense both with and without GPU usage with the modern Compositing Engine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In version 21.2.0, whenever I have a layer and move it, the original image stays behind as if I hadn't moved it AND the new one goes to where I place it. The only way I've found to update it is to turn a background layer off and back on again. Anyone else running into this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suggested fix from Jeffrey Tranberry resolved it for me:

"The workaround is to make sure "Legacy Compositing" under Preferences > Performance is unchecked."

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unchecking Legacy Compositing definitely improved performance. But not totally solved

Another potential clue:

Since unchecking Legacy Compositing, I can see improvement in seeing my changes reflected live. EXCEPT for the Levels adjustment tool. If I move a slider, the area of the affected image goes gray until i deselect and reselect the adjustment layer.

Curves, gradients, etc., no problems. But layers is a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree as well! There were multiple issues not working. And my "Legacy Compositing" was checked, not unchecked by default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: now getting lags w/ curves layer and Levels layer.

Ugh

Why do I ever update anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the June 2020 update for Photoshop on my desktop Mac. When I drag/move an image or edit text, the previous version stays on my canvas, almost as if there's been a new layer created. I have to hide and then unhide the layer to get rid of this "shadow" layer. For example, if I move an image higher on my canvas, it does move, but there is also a duplicate of the image that remains where it was originally. This is very frustrating! Can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeffrey, for directing me to this thread! Unchecking "legacy compositing" has fixed this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to version 21.2.0, on Mac OS 10.13.6. Thisis the first time I am running an often used action that creates a text layer,at 30% opacity, but that text layer is not displaying properly- text visuallyis closer to 100%, but if I lower it to 0%, it is still visible. When I finish therest of the action, flattening the image, text is correctly set to 0%, and notvisible. So basically now I can no longer visually accurately judge opacity oftext layer in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i move and image where it previously was still appears in the same spot unless I flick the layer off and back on. this happend when i try eraser tool. it doesnt show me what I have erases unless I flick the layer on and off again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been opening files that were originally created on 20.0.4 on 21.2 and getting the same ghosting problems.

I've tried turning Legacy Compositing On and Off (and restarting Photoshop of course) and I can't get rid of these issues. It looks like everything is correct in the tiny Layer Previews, but on the main window everything is doubled until a background layer is turned on and off to force a refresh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem with the new update Photoshop 21.2.0 on Mac. When I type a new text layer or move an existing one it gets duplicated but not in the way that it creates a new layer, but it gets "baked" on the last position. It is very confusing because you get a lot of fixed text. The only way to get rid is to close the document and open it again.

Please fix this problem ASAP, because it is annoying and interrupts my work. I use photoshop every day.

Kind regards
Adam

UPDATE: all layers are affected (vectors, images, brushes, etc.) by this "burned/backed" effect.

Picture of the problem:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to newest version. Now the type tool behaves weird. When I type something and move it somewhere else it stays where it was before as a duplicate. But there is not duplicated layer. It does disappear when I hide/unhide the background layer below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 21.2.0 and as with every new Photoshop release I'm now getting to play 'find the bugs'. It did not take long.

If you create a new document, create a layer (a shape with fill and outline in this example), now drag and drop this layer into another document.. all seems ok, until you move it, a duplicate ghost of the image/element is visible underneath. As you can see there is only one layer but the document shows two. If you toggle the background layer on/off then the ghost disappears, but move it again and it returns. It doesnt appears to disappear when you save the document.

I disabled my GPU in prefs but no difference.

Windows 10, 7940X, 64GB, GTX 1080Ti. 4K Display.

I know there are a huge amount of variables when it comes to end users specific hardware configurations but you do have to wonder if Adobe even bother testing this stuff when you notice that their own logos don't even render properly on the splash screen:

Back to 2019 we go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just how Adobe roll, welcome to CC. Having your beta testers (us) pay you for the priviledge must be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I updated Adobe Photoshop earlier today. After doing so, I now have a problem where when I use the eraser tool, optically it does not work, but if I change the visibility of a layer below the layer I erased on, then the visuals will update and show what I have erased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to Photoshop CC v21.2. I'm on Windows 10. Everything seems normal up until I try to copy and paste something. In this case I've noticed it specifically with text layers and drawing layers.

Procedure to Duplicate (Happens every time for me):
1. Write a sentence in notepad.
2. Copy sentence to a text layer in Photoshop.
3. Move the text layer anywhere on the canvas. You will notice that there is a ghost copy of the text layer still present where it was originally located.

Alternative Issue:
1. Write a sentence in notepad.
2. Copy sentence to a text layer in Photoshop.
3. Edit your original sentence. You'll see the original ghost sentence is still visible while the new edited sentence is also visible making it impossible to read.

This is not just with notepad. If you write the sentence in Photoshop in a text layer, and then copy/paste part of who of that sentence to a new layer, it will do the same thing.

If you draw on a layer and copy/paste it, it will also do the same thing.

Any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

READ the various threads posted on this topic ! Turn OFF Legacy Compositing. Go to Edit, Preferences, Performance, then uncheck the box.

As a suggestion: it is unusual for someone to have a never-before-posted situation, so it is always a good idea to start by doing  search here in Photoshop Family. Try different ways to phrase the issue, and much of the time your answer will pop out.

This particular issue has MANY MANY MANY posts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I did search. My issue was initially with the text, and when I searched for text layer problems, nothing came up. I did try alternative, and I even looked through recent posts. If they've all been merged perhaps there's only one thread now instead of 'many posts'.

Comments like these are generally unhelpful as they just discourage people from posting for help - which considering Adobe's site sends you here directly when you want to submit a bug report - seems to be the point of these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate