• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 23.5.1 Apply Layer Mask function not working

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated to Photoshop 23.5.1 today and now I don't seem to be able to apply a mask to a layer. The Apply Layer Mask command appears in the dropdown menu but stays grey. I can't figure it out. Flummoxed. I've either forgotten how to use layer masks after nearly 20 years or the latest update has changed something. (using a MacBook Pro 16 inch, 2021)

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To apply a layer mask to a layer I use the icon on the bottom of the layer panel that is shaped like a square with a hole in the middle.  Works on my macbook pro 16" 2019 with PS 23.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I’m able to set up a layer mask to a layer or folder or even an artboard using the method you are talking about. It shows it’s working on screen. But I wish to ‘Apply Layer Mask’ to that layer. The function capability is listed (in grey) when you right click on the mask layer but you are not able to apply the layer – meaning, I can’t make the mask permanent to that layer. I used to be able to do so.

I have also tried exporting the artboards to files (e.g. a jpeg) but it does not apply the layer mask and ignores it completely as if the layer mask is not there. Just reinstalled the Photoshop 23.5 version and it is still not working. I must be doing something wrong. Really odd. Never had this problem before.

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think I understand now.  I'm not really that proficient in PS.  I just opened a photo in PS, duplicated it, hit the mask icon which created a mask and then I right clicked on that and the apply layer mask did indeed appear.  It was not greyed out and I was able to apply it to the duplicate layer.  If this is what you are trying to do, it is working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @johnb3116511 sorry you are having this issue.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually  

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines