• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 24.0.0.59 bug?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Photoshop 24.0.0.59 (the desktop version) via Creative Cloud yesterday (October 18). Now whenever I launch Photoshop, then exit, the Photoshop executable doesn't properly terminate. 

When Photoshop is running, Task Manager shows Adobe Photoshop 2023 in the Apps list. There is no entry in the Background processes list. When I exit Photoshop using either File > Exit or by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Photoshop window, Adobe Photoshop 2023 disappears from the Apps list and immediately shows up in the Background processes list. In order to relaunch Photoshop I have to open Task Manager, right-click on Adobe Photoshop 2023, and select End task. If I don't terminate the background process, Photoshop simply won't open.

I've waited as long as 15 minutes to see whether the background process eventually terminates, and it seemingly hangs around forever until I use End task.

This is also the case when I invoke Photoshop from Lightroom Classic using the Edit in > Adobe Photoshop 2023 command. The first time I use this method, Photoshop opens and behaves normally, then returns me to Lightroom. If I get back to Lightroom by saving the file, with Photoshop still running, I can use the "Edit in" command and jump back and forth from Lightroom to Photoshop repeatedly. However, if I return from Photoshop to Lightroom by exiting Photoshop, I can't use the command from that point on. Nothing happens when I try to right-click and send a file to Photoshop. It works once again only if I End task on the Photoshop background process.

I do not use the Preset Synching feature. I'm aware that this feature can cause Photoshop to "hang around" briefly when exiting while synching takes place, but that's not the case here.

I'm running Windows 11 22H2 (OS Build 22621.675), Home version, 64GB of RAM, lots of free space on all drives.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? Any workaround other than using Task Manager to kill the Photoshop background process?

Larry

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry,

Can you do me a favor and see if any other Adobe processes are running via Task Manager? If so, can you share a screenshot of them when Photoshop is in this state?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot of the Adobe processes running when I've exited Photoshop and the background process is still running:

Screenshot 2022-10-19 131105.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try navigating to:

/Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2023/Adobe Photoshop 2023 Settings

Then add a tilda to the beginning of the folder called "Content Authenticity", then re-launch the application. Is quit still taking a long time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I navigated to that location, but there is no folder named "Content Authenticity" there. I also did a search for any folder of that name, and there is none anywhere on my system.

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try killing the crashpad_handler.exe process? Do you have any idea why this is running on your machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To terminate the background process, I normally just right-click on the line that reads "Adobe Photoshop 2023 (2)", which apparently includes the two subprocesses(?) below. That removes both crashpad_handler.exe and Adobe Photoshop 2023 from the Background processes list and allows me to relaunch Photoshop.

When I run Photoshop and expand the Adobe Photoshop 2023 entry in the apps list while it's running, two instances of crashpad_handler appear, along with 16 other entries. I have no idea why, since I don't know what any of those things do.

I haven't tried doing an End task on just crashpad_handler.exe; just for fun, I'll try that now....

Actually, this time crashpad_handler.exe didn't appear in the Background processes list, just Adobe Photoshop 2023. Since I don't know why it shows up in the first place, I won't try to explain it.

Out of pure curiosity, I just tried launching then exiting Photoshop twice more. Both times, Photoshop exited normally, leaving nothing in the Background processes list and allowing me to relaunch Photoshop. The bug is apparently intermittent, but it does happen more often than not.

Tried it a third time; the bug reappears, leaving Adobe Photoshop 2023 and its two subprocesses in the Background apps list. The bug is indeed apparently intermittent. This time, I killed just the crashpad_handler.exe subprocess. That made no difference. The Adobe Photoshop process remained and I couldn't relaunch Photoshop until I killed the Adobe Photoshop 2023 process.

Go figure. I hope this makes sense to somebody. 🙂

I have no idea what crashpad_handler.exe is, nor why it appears in either list. I'd never seen it before this bug(?) appeared (not that I ever looked for it; I don't generally look that closely at Task Manager unless there's a problem of some sort).

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched my drives for all files named crashpad_handler.exe using the Everything utility and came up with the following result:

larryc43230_0-1666211272538.png

It appears that this is a popular component of Photoshop plug-ins as well as Photoshop itself. One or more of those plug-ins could be contributing to the bug (I have no way of knowing), but (importantly) the copy that's listed in Task Manager under Apps (when Photoshop is running) and in Background processes (after I've exited Photoshop) is listed under Adobe Photoshop 2023, so it's probably the Adobe copy that we're dealing with.

And don't ask me to uninstall any of those plug-ins; uninstalling then reinstalling those is something I do NOT want to do. 🙂 If this bug is due to some interaction between Photoshop and any or all of those plug-ins, the developers will have to fight that out themselves.

Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've some problem on mac after the update, I uninstalled and reinstalled the app but it doesn't work, it doesn't open any content and it gets stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and I've had it for about a year now (had a new computer in that time). I worked with Adobe Support and the problem seemed to be fixed, but it came back again. But now it's worse. Since the october update to version 24.0.0, now photoshop often won't restart, but there is no entry in the task list. The only way to clear the problem is to restart the computer. Having to use Task Manager to 'reset' photoshop was bad enough, but having to Restart the computer is unnaceptable. (Windows 10, latest version on automatic updates)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

MacOS 12.6. For me, InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator each no longer start with the latest update. The previous version works without problems. I get the error "EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)". Exactly the same problem I had a few weeks ago with the Cloud App. The problem magically went away over the weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines