• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Canvas turns gray when you go to another app and back when you're using Artboards

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The symptom is when you go to other app and come back to Photoshop, the canvas becomes blank gray. I have to move some objects or hide/unhide some layers for the screen to come back again.  See the attached you to see what it's like.

This is so annoying because we have to use back and forth between apps. 

I've tried changed GPU preference (Basic/Advanced and even NO GPU) and re-started photoshop but it didn't solve at all. So I think it's not about the GPU setting.

Finally, I find a solution but it's not actually practical but it worked. I noticed that it happened to some artworks that has Artboards so i tried to clear all artboards inside that artwork. The symptom is gone (not entirely but it happens less)

To Adobe, please fix ASAP. We need to use Artboards. 
To fellow users, if you have better solutions, please share.

Now I've downgraded to 21.12 because I cannot stand this bug. (21.13 has the issue of freezing when usine Brightness & Contrast with Ruler enabled).

Thanks.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

This should be fixed in Photoshop 22.x or later

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engineers are working on this issue. It should go away if you enable Use Graphics Processor. If it doesn't you probably need to update your graphics card driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same issue on Mac. Use Graphics Processor is enabled. Still same. And also the cardboard disappears. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just installed all the latest creative cloud updates, including the PSD update (21.2) and experiencing the same problem as well (MacOS). Double checked my preferences and switching between using my graphics processor or not, but didn't make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with Mac Os on iMac Pro. It's frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also same issue; Graphics Processor was already enabled. It's only with artboards and seems to only happen after I toggle any text in an artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I keep the photo from going to gray background when I'm changing programs on my computer?  Any time I leave Photoshop (I have the most current upgrade), say to go to finder on my Mac... or a Zoom meeting.  Anything.), when I come back to Photoshop, the image has now become a gray box.  I have to double click the hand tool to get it to appear again.

Is it something I've done in my preferences?  It's super annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here – layer preview does often not update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downgraded to version  21.12. I think it's the best version so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also on Mac OS and already have graphics processor checked and have the same problem. It's so bad i've had to go back to 21.12 - even though it crashes if i forget to hide the ruler before i adjust the hue/saturation or brightness/contrast. Sloppy Adobe - very sloppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've noticed as of the most recent update, that when text is applied to an artboard and then another program is selected, the view pane in photoshop becomes greyed out.

To get the image to reappear I either have to zoom in or out or start painting to reveal the image. Not ideal.

I have a video of this if that helps.

Thanks for any help,
Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I have a document open in photoshop.
2. I click to a different window (ex. I click to Chrome)
3. The canvas/artboard in photoshop immediately blanks out (in a big white block, regardless of the size of the art on screen. See below).
4. I click back into photoshop, the canvas/artboard is still blank.
5. I click a tool or select a layer, the canvas/artboard returns to normal.

I am on Catalina 10.15.3, and have the latest version of photoshop installed 21.1.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue too. I changed my Systemsettings (macOS) > Display > Resolution from SCALED to STANDARD and now the bug is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that worked for you.  Won't work on my OS -- "STANDARD" isn't even a choice in the resolution settings.  Mine was already on "DEFAULT."  (Catalina 10:15:5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since the new Photoshop updated dropped for 21.2. Every time I go to zoom in on a multiple art board document it lags, flickers, and slo whenever I go to update copy the art board goes gray except for the text layer.. The art board file itself also go completely gray whenever i click off of photoshop.. I went into preferences but I cannot turn of the graphics card setting since I am working on large art board documents.. And again I have never this issue before this update.. Is anyone else having this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same thing. Photoshop 21.2 on macOS Catalina 10.15.5.

Using the Text tool usually triggers it for me. Lots of flickering and grey panels. Typically I'll have to restart Photoshop to temporarily get around it. 

As someone who uses artboards every day, this update is unusable and I've had to downgrade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_&_Tricia It has been two weeks are there any changes in the fix...we cannot all need to upgrade our graphic card driver I fear that'd be an oversight on you alls behalf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to down grade to 21.1 aswell, I have never had an issue with 21.1... I am on Catalina 10.15.5 and also cannot change resolution to standard. Please fix this problem Adobe... I use this program everyday all day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I switch to another app, all the artboards disappear until I do something active in Photoshop.  Basically, I don't know where I'm clicking when I return to Photoshop as it's just one big blank gray background.   Once I click or pan or zoom, then the artboards reappear.   This wasn't a problem in the previous version of Photoshop.   And every time I'm hoping I'm not accidentally moving one of my layers.

Using a MacbookPro, latest OS Mojave, Photoshop 21.2.0.    This problem didn't happen until I updated with this latest version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ye, my workaround stopped also working: So I'm back with this issue. Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you kidding me???  I have been waiting for weeks for the new update.  Just installed version 21.2.1 and this problem wasn't fixed???  What is going on?  Am I missing something?  How long do we have to wait for a resolution?  This is a pain in the neck to deal with all the time.  Very disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WATCH VIDEO

Photoshop 21.2.2 on Mac OS X 10.15.6 Catalina. When you have a file open in Photoshop, switch to a different application, then go back to Photoshop, the file appears as a gray rectangle. The file will only reappear if you zoom, scroll, or do some other action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now October 4, 2020 and still no fix. I have tried all suggestions from multiple sources - too many to mention. The only fix is to downgrade to another version of Photoshop. I'm hanging on to 2018 for dear life! I'm sure this will be fixed one day but for now, I would suggest keeping your older versions of all CC Apps because you can longer download them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Use Graphics Processor disabled? This is primarily a problem when the GPU is disabled and CPU fallback is being used. A fix is targeted for a release in the very near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in Photoshop 22.x or later

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this same problem. Extremely frustrating.

Macbook Pro (2018)

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Photoshop 21.2.4 (Because 22.1.0 crashes every time I open it, so I reverted back)

Votes

Translate

Translate