• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Print dialog extremely slow to open/does not respond

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm using the latest PS CC 2018 and the most up-to-date Win10.
Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.1.2 20180302.r.277 2018/03/02: 1160083  x64
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater 10.0.16299.15
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:12, Stepping:2 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 6
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3331 MHz
Built-in memory: 24574 MB
Free memory: 10855 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 21907 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %

I'm not using the print option in PS very often, but only every 10 days or so. So I don't know exactly with which update this issue was introduced... But about 4 weeks ago, everything worked just fine and since the latest 19.x updates it got screwed somewhere.

What happens?
Open a file, you can edit, create layers, zoom, modify, brush, whatever you want, everything works smoothly. Small files, large files, all kinds of formats (JPEG, TIFF, etc.) no problems.
BUT, as soon as you click on File/Print, the havoc starts!
The mouse cursor becomes slooooooow.... system becomes slow, even a browser window starts to slow down. The Windows Resource Monitor shows about 15-25% CPU utilization, but the Photoshop.exe PID gets a red entry; "Not Responding"  After about 15-25 seconds, the Print Dialog window finally appears. But every action in this window, results in another slow/stall behavior of my system. In fact the Print Dialog becomes unusable! Only when I click on 'Cancel', everything is back to normal again.

Done so far to check/verify:
-all other applications work fast and without any issues when printing! Even other Adobe s/w like AI, Acrobat, ID, etc. Also MS Office applications and other graphic software keep on working just fine with their printing dialogs/windows/features.
So it's a specific PS CC 2018 + Print only issue!
-Checked the Event Log files; but there is nothing logged about any PS issues. (?)

-I've even uninstalled PS CC 2018 from my system and cleaned up all remains, including appdata leftovers and all temporary garbage from PS. Reinstalled the latest PS CC 2018 from the CreativeCloud app; left PS CC 2018 with all its standard settings and just tried to print again.
No luck, problem with print dialog from PS CC 2018 is back immediately.
Then I set all my personal settings and performance enhancements within PS CC 2018; no change. GPU acceleration on/off; no difference. Scratch disks on/off/change; no difference.
Even reinstalled all my printer drivers; no difference. But as I mentioned before, ALL OTHER applications do print just fine! Only PS CC 2018 print function is unusable.

When searching for this issue on the www, I found this exact issue:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2411564
but no solution...

Anyone?

Bug Unresolved Locked
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
95 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2018 Jul 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. I have used DDU and checked with CC Cleaner and no signs of old GeForce driver on computer. No change to print response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm (?)

Which Windows and PS version are you using?
What I've noticed, during Win 1709 --> 1803 upgrade, that lots of .ICC/.ICM profiles were removed and/or reset. So after the first use of Win 1803 I had to reinstate the correct color profile settings for my monitors and printer. Since then PS CC 2018 19.1.5 + the Nvidia Quadro graphics card + Win 1803 are performing ok.

No annoying long wait in the print dialog. (only about 1-2 seconds)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 1803, CC19.1.5. Haven't lost any ICC profiles during updates. P/S Preferences-Performance detects M2000 card, "Use Graphics Card" ticked but "Use OpenCL" in Advanced Settings is greyed out. Is this significant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno.
NVIDIA CorporationQuadro/M2000/PCIe/SSE2
  • v Use Graphics Processor

I have all the options ticked:
  • Drawing mode: Advanced
  • v Use Graphics Processor to Accelerate Computation
  • v Usen OpenCL
  • v Anti-alias Guides and Paths
Maybe you have to investigate why the 'Use OpenCL' option is not available. (?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having 25+ second delay times when printing to an Epson P800 from Photoshop CC and also from Adobe InDesign. I replaced my AMD W5000 with an nVidia P2000 and that dropped the delay to around 4 seconds in each program. I then used the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and that dropped the delay to less than 1 second. Even though I had unistalled all AMD software visible from settings the utility found lots more to remove. You can find the utility here: https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I missed it, Adobe doesn't seem to read this forum, or if they do, they don't have a fix for this problem.  Has anyone found a solution? For what it's worth, I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce GX 1060 video card, and I have the latest NVIDIA drivers. Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 1709. That's not the latest build, but Microsoft hasn't offered me the latest update on this system, and the last time I tried a manual update to the next version, I had to do a rollback after it really messed it up, so I hesitate to do that. Anyway, it's taking 20-30 seconds to do each thing with the print dialog. That's really frustrating since I have a reasonably fast system with 32 GB of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, you haven't missed it... ☻
Adobe never really responded with any concrete and/or constructive answer.
(see also: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2411564)

What seems to resolve the issue is the use of a Nvidia Quadro graphics card and Quadro drivers. Since I switched from a Nvidia 'game like' card/AMD 'game like' card --> the Quadro card, my problems were gone.
But I can imagine that is not a solution for many people.

I got a Nividia M2000 4GB RAM card for about 200 euro. Which performs great with PS CC 2018, PTGui Pro and other software that uses explicit GPU acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not need a Quadro. I switched from AMD HD7970 to Nvidia GTX1080. Problem resolved.
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which driver works for you, David?

I'm one of the Happy Quadro Crowd. Been fine ever since - although I do get a bit twitchy each time there's a new driver available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
it is nice and stable running 398.11

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too still have this issue and I am running an nVidia Quadro P600 card driver version 24.21.14.1181, Windows 10 version 10.0.17134 Build 17134. Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.1 20181029.r.41 2018/010/29: 1197484  x64  Any print action takes a couple of minutes to work and it's really messing up my print flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same card, nVidia driver version 24.21.14.1195 (411.95 for Enterprise), Windows 10 Pro x64 1809 (17763.134) and Photoshop 19.1.6.
Not had any problems with delays since fitting the card in March. All versions of the driver, OS and software have been fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to resolve the problem I was having by uninstalling the nVidia graphics drivers and support utilities and relying on the Microsoft-provided driver.

Edit:  It turns out I was wrong, the problem is still there, the delay was shorter like 6-10 seconds for every action when I initially turned Photoshop on, but seems to get longer the longer the program runs.  I'm no expert in what's going on here, but that might suggest there's a memory leak, that or Photoshop just isn't playing well with whatever Microsoft has been doing to Windows printer management.  It's really disappointing to see that this problem has been around so long with no apparent effort by Adobe to address it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn openGL off in PS solved the issue for me (Edit > Preferences > Performance > Advanced Settings... then uncheck the box Use openGL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see that setting in Photoshop CC 2019 v20.0.5 on Windows 10 v1809 with nVidia NVS 510 on driver 25.31.14.1972 (412.16). Disabling Use Graphics Processor did not help. Disabling openCL did not seem to help. There is a 5 - 10 second delay before and after any action involving printer selection or settings and layout doesn't seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded to nVidia 431.70 and nothing was fixed. Only Photoshop has this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same on a Radeon R9 380 on PS CC 2019.  This has been going on a very long time, and Adobe needs to fix it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks on another thread report slow printer dialogs with Acronis Active Protection running on the system:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/print-settings-dialog-box-slow-with-canon-pro...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will then be able to access the folder "Program Data".  In the folder called "Program Data" you will find a folder titled "Epson".  In the Epson folder is a folder called "Printer".  In the printer folder is the file (In my case anyway) called "EPAUDF01.AUD.  When I deleted the file (that had swollen to 40 megabytes), the system (or the Epson Printer program... I'm not sure which), generated a new file that was 2 kilobytes in size, after I had restarted my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You will then be able to access the folder "Program Data".  In the folder called "Program Data" you will find a folder titled "Epson".  In the Epson folder is a folder called "Printer".  In the printer folder is the file (In my case anyway) called "EPAUDF01.AUD.  When I deleted the file (that had swollen to 40 megabytes), the system (or the Epson Printer program... I'm not sure which), generated a new file that was 2 kilobytes in size, after I had restarted my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate