Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Move tool targeting imprecise

Explorer ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move Tool annoyance in Photoshop CS6.
I use the move tool alot in my work, with high fidelity mockups for interface design. I rely on precision and predictability in my workflow. In Photoshop CS6 with the move tool set to auto-select layer, i would suspect the move tool to select the excact element im targeting at which it doesn't. it automatically selects nearby elements, which is a HUGE annoyance and disturbance. It ruins the workflow, and it's unpredicable.

Is there at least an option to remove this behaviour and just make it precise as in previous versions of photoshop?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016
I found a solution ! before dragging object with move tool click ctrl \ command and then there is no auto correct object placing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 153 Replies 153
153 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is completely unrelated to this topic, please create a new topic, and provide more information so someone can help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Auto-Select function the select area extents past the layers own canvas. Example: if a layer is 100x100px the select area goes further, to 104104px (It pics the layer on top). This is a huge problem when you're working with interface design! – And was working perfectly fine in CS5,5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue appears to reach across several tools and has been mentioned in other posts that have now been retitled, merged or deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not seriously believe the PS development team did this, knowing the type of customer who uses their product – high end, UI and Web designers with 100+ layers who need absolute accuracy. Did they not think that developing software for people who cannot accurately select things with their mouse, while forgetting people who need precision was a bad idea.
Please fix this immediately or I'm going back to CS4 where the user's mouse accuracy seemed to matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a very huge problem to web and interface designers. I'm actually going to use CS5 because of this issue, I need precise selection tool. Before I could select an object which is behind the other even if it hass 1 px visible border

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as though my original message was deleted by Chris Cox I'll once again express my frustration at this annoying feature.

This feature is highly annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any progress on this issue? Have Adobe acknowledged this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it will not be fixed unless here would be at last hundreds of complaints about this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 Hopefully not. This issue - http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh... -
is resolved with 42 people in, and it was also a huuge issue then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 Hopefully not. This issue - http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh... -
is resolved with 42 people in, and it was also a huuge issue then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I myself noted this problem in July: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4695525. Then another noted the problem: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh.... In fact I've seen more including this back in April: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4302292 which includes a video clearly showing the problem.

I still have not seen any response saying this will be fixed. Most seem to suggest video card problems. I'm using a MacBook Pro... We can not be the only ones frustrated.

On another note anyone agree with this post from 2005? http://hanfordlemoore.com/v/photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this on PC, both laptop and desktop, it doesn't seem to be video card issues.

Thanks for bringing these to our attention. It's difficult to find these discussions since its hard to describe a "feature" that has no name :)

Hopefully we can rally people here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what it gains, but Chris Cox is very good at deleting our comments, merging unlike topics and minimizing the problem.

I suspect that we will not see a solution to this problem because Chris is in between us and the folks that could fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Iskender,
If Chris Cox were not deleting our posts, there probably would be hundreds of complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going Crazy here. We should form a support group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny how you can work around other bugs so easily and yet for those that use shapes this particular bug just continues to niggle until you break in frustration. With other bugs users aren't as annoyed but reading through the various reports of the same problem I sense designers are on the brink of throwing their computers across the studio in anger!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's also my impression. I think it's because that the nature of the issue is so basic, and the amount of times you encounter it during a day of work makes it so agonizing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, this program has WAY to many bugs to justify it's astronomical price.
I can't believe the community is so overly tolerant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off topic posts, misleading posts, trolling, and posts that violate the rules of use for the site are regularly deleted.

We're still working on this issue, we just don't have anything to communicate at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris. Does that mean this issue can be considered as acknowledged or how does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of whether you are on a PC or Mac, or whether you have Auto-select on or off, this problem occurs. It only occurs with smart objects in the mix. If those objects are rasterized, there's no selection issue - everything is then accurate.

This issue is not something that is easily overlooked. It's painfully obvious with your first run of CS6, which makes me think it was an intentional inclusion.

I'm unfortunately back in 5.5 until this issue is fixed. Trying to work on files that require pixel accurate selection is impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2012 Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded today and noticed this epic issue in less than 10 mins.

Hey - adobe - I have just spent out on 4 web premiums and 1 master collection... I am seriously going to get a refund and going back to cs5 for this error, more because there is no sign of this being fixed!

It would help out the whole community if you could give an indication A) you are aware of this error and B) that when it will be fixed - you may even save me from refunding...

This occurs too many times to bare!

"community help" - ha 5 months to not get a reply... where is the help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to see this problem 'acknowledged' or marked as 'in progress'... It kills me, I've been making all my vectors smart objects but this becomes annoying when resizing vectors. Come on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

off-topic:
Chris, first of all, thank you for your response. Despite having seen some users unduely lashing out at you in the face of frustration, you continue to create a bridge between users and Adobe both here on Photoshop.com and also the user Adobe Forums. I seriously applaud you for that. Please keep it up. Because you're actually involved in the dev of Photoshop, the insight you offer is very valuable. I often find your posts enlightening.

___

on-topic:
Chris, "The layer auto select works right under the cursor. "

-- Yes, but only when attempting to select non-vector layers. When trying to select vector layers, the top-most vector layer is selected if you click within 9px (Thank you Jason R. - post #9) of it! This means that anything less than 9px away from that top-most vector layer is NOT selectable with the Move Tool . . . unless you zoom in, in order to circumvent the 9px "selection helper" buffer. This means the 9px buffer is screen pixels, not document pixels.

Chris, sit down and design a detailed pixel-perfect user interface in PS CS6 (like we do) and tell me you don't want to donkey punch your LCD after a few minutes of just trying to simply get around your PSD to make needed edits, etc.

User interface-related quirks hit very close to home. The frustration they wreak is very damaging to user morale.

Please, please put in a good word for us with your team/superiors and see if you can't render a solution to this unnecessary frustration.

(Needless to say, there are MANY good things to be happy about in PS CS6, but this particular issue is so fundamental it seems to overshadow other good "improvements".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem! Very unhappy and disappointed about this!

I'm now constantly zooming in and out to get past the 9px "selection assist" buffer zone around vector objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate