Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Move tool targeting imprecise

Explorer ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move Tool annoyance in Photoshop CS6.
I use the move tool alot in my work, with high fidelity mockups for interface design. I rely on precision and predictability in my workflow. In Photoshop CS6 with the move tool set to auto-select layer, i would suspect the move tool to select the excact element im targeting at which it doesn't. it automatically selects nearby elements, which is a HUGE annoyance and disturbance. It ruins the workflow, and it's unpredicable.

Is there at least an option to remove this behaviour and just make it precise as in previous versions of photoshop?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016
I found a solution ! before dragging object with move tool click ctrl \ command and then there is no auto correct object placing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 153 Replies 153
153 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justin's suggestion is simply an alternate way of auto-selecting layers without checking the move tool's auto-select option. I think most users in this forum would already use the short cut over the enabling the option so it misses the point slightly as the problem would still persist with shape layers within 9px of one another but at least we now have an in-progress status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this have anything to do with the 9px selection buffer issue ("Un-Precise Targeting) brought out by the OP???

On a PC, I just hold CONTROL while left-clicking with the Move Tool to "toggle" Auto-Select on the fly, just like holding SPACE to pan on the fly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[offtopic]
What are you talking about? Photoshop updates just fine. Are you not using 13.0.1?
[/offtopic]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. I think he misunderstood the OP's issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I get an update error. Googled it and it's pretty common, solution from Adobe is to reinstall photoshop. Just got disc back from IT, so fingers crossed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oy . . . lovely. Didn't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone get that latest CS6 update to install? Failed on a few machines I heard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May want to break out to a new thread and include the error you get with the failure. Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 13.0.3. No fix there. Bummer, I was really hoping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this issue? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey or Chris,

could you please disclose at least the rough estimate when this issue will be fixed and why it takes so long?

The community is waiting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after 8 months I still absolutely hate this feature and I actually feel angry when I see 'new' Photoshop features released when this hasn't been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a UI designer so for me it is also absolutely annoying bug. It is difficult to understand why it is such a problem to fix it, or just put checkbox (somewhere) to turn that "feature" on/off. Adobe, please make PSCS6 not worse than the previous version, it is a tool for professionals but CS6 reduced our productivity in this place. Of course I can still use the previous version, but how long should we wait (and why we bought CS6)? I'm not sure about moving to CC version in the future. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2013 Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems very illogical why you wouldn't give the end user a way off turning this "feature" off. Extremely annoying when designing UI's or any other documents where tight spacing is required.
Another example of a big company failing to respond to user feedback.

Another criticism, why don't your software teams share code. Some of the features in Fireworks, such as convert marquee to path, are far superior to their equivalent in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is a huge pain for UI work. Not sure why such an issue would take over a year to address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.bohemiancoding.com/sketch/
- I've switched for UI work.

And Macaw isn't far off release I hear.
http://macaw.co/

Photoshop wont last as the tool of choice for web designers - they don't listen to us, and they're a bloated company that has to charge high prices to survive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the fix is being implemented in the next major release. I mean, given that we've already payed for this piece of sh*tware, why would they bother fixing it sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue plus a gazillion more like this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2013 Sep 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just want to chime in to hopefully encourage the PS team to hurry the #@% up. this bug sucks; what a disaster "upgrading" to CS6 has been. In my experience it's the buggiest PS (or rather PoS) upgrade yet.

It's definitely not just auto-slect. I right click with the move tool all the time to quickly select layers visually instead of scrolling up and down a layers palette full of 100s of layers. Oh, how useful! You're showing me 25 other nearby layers! Joy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

waiting sooo long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2013 Sep 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11⁄2 years waiting for nothing... Now my company has upgraded to CC. Problem fixed, BUT now the "Zoom when sliding mouse from side to side" is the new issue. Cant seem to switch it off. Again this is an introduction of a new behaviour that has been working fine in many generations that is now changed without possibility to switch off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C'mon Adobe, still no fix? This issue lowers productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with him, not only its not precise, in Photoshop cc even if you hide the layers and you start to select a range it would start selecting the hidden layers underneath and opens up all the folders. huge bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ulrik

Is the layer you are targeting set to less than 50% opacity? Or is the portion of a 100% opacity layer that you are clicking on have less than 50% opacity?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris - just tested 50% vs. other opacities with selection and it doesn't seem to make a difference, unfortunately. The triangular vector layer shown in this screenshot is completely un-selectable at 100% (10px wide). Are there any updates on this issue, Chris/Jeff?

Votes

Translate

Translate